Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Sannan75
Sannan75 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Question Sony Reader Library and Adobe DRM issue

Hi there,

After 6 months of perfectly fine use, this morning when opening up the Sony Reader Library it informed me that I needed to authorise my computer to view my books via the Adobe DRM.

Now, I remember doing this when I first got the device and it went fine, so I put the e-mail address and password in and got the message that the computer was not authorised to view the content

After faffing around with various things, and confirming I was using the correct account and password info by logging into my Adobe account on the website just fine I uninstalled the Reader, ran cleaners to remove all traces (document folders, appdata, registry, etc.) and re-installed from Sony's site.

Same result, when I try to re-download my purchased books (via Waterstones.com) I get asked to authorise the computer, it does nothing and won't download

Anyone suffered similar and solved it? Any idea's about what might be causing it? I want to buy some more books but right now can do nothing

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/solutions
Sannan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Sannan75

Some additional info having searched these forums a bit more, I followed the advice here as it seems to be the same issue:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...obe+drm&page=2

I can confirm that in my 'about' section it says I am not curently authorised to view DRM content on this computer and following Sony's help page about authorising just puts me into the same loop as described above, put the password in and nothing happens, no errors, but no book appears either.

Oh, and following the 'help' in Reader, saying to connect the device, means that 'sync' has wiped my book collection from the reader too, so I've gone from not being able to put new books on to having nothing on there at all and no way of getting them on! Argh!

Last edited by Sannan75; 08-22-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Typo's
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Just use Adobe Digital Editions. You shouldn't have a problem downloading your books from waterstones them.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Sannan75

Do I not need to use the Sony library then? (assumed that even if I installed ADE that I'd still need the Sony library to load the PRS-600).
Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Calibre can be used to transfer books to the Sony reader. If the book is DRMed then ADE will need to be installed and the reader authorized through ADE so that the reader can open the DRMed books. But you only need the Sony Reader Library if you want to buy books through the Sony Store. And even if you use the Sony Reader Library to purchase books, you can transfer them to the reader via calibre are using your file explorer.

To copy books using a USB cable connection and a file explorer, connect and locate the Reader in your file explorer. For example, my Reader shows up as drive H:, so I can copy books from my PC to the Reader by placing them in the following folder:

H:\database\media\books\

Last edited by jswinden; 08-22-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Sannan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Calibre can be used to transfer books to the Sony reader. If the book is DRMed then ADE will need to be installed and the reader authorized through ADE so that the reader can open the DRMed books. But you only need the Sony Reader Library if you want to buy books through the Sony Store. And even if you use the Sony Reader Library to purchase books, you can transfer them to the reader via calibre are using your file explorer.

To copy books using a USB cable connection and a file explorer, connect and locate the Reader in your file explorer. For example, my Reader shows up as drive H:, so I can copy books from my PC to the Reader by placing them in the following folder:

H:\database\media\books\
Superb advice, thankyou for such an informative reply