Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #61
Mirtika
Mirtika began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Yes, googling Lab126, I see it is quite active. I drew the wrong conclusions from the not-lately-updated Lab126 Wikipedia article.

Amazon should have more correct and consistent messaging. On the other hand, I would rather get the device late than read about a Foxconn suicide (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/bu...gewanted=print) being blamed on pressure to meet our deadline. A year from now, I would have only the vaguest memory that the date was missed.
I just don't get vexed about stuff like waiting for a product (unless it's like, um, medication my life depends on). It comes when it comes. However, since they did put a specific date on there instead of just "You will now be placed on a waiting list" with no date, they have given me certain time frame expectations.

Better to be vague or just say, "We'll email preorders and update this page when a firm date is set for you to receive your new Kindle."

I'm not gonna die if I can't have it right away....I can always read on my computer or my old Sony Reader. Or, hey, a real book with pages.
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #62
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtika View Post
Or, hey, a real book with pages.
Blasphemy!

the 505 should get you by just fine in the meantime, it's a nice reader!
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #63
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtika View Post
I just don't get vexed about stuff like waiting for a product (unless it's like, um, medication my life depends on). It comes when it comes. However, since they did put a specific date on there instead of just "You will now be placed on a waiting list" with no date, they have given me certain time frame expectations.

Better to be vague or just say, "We'll email preorders and update this page when a firm date is set for you to receive your new Kindle."

I'm not gonna die if I can't have it right away....I can always read on my computer or my old Sony Reader. Or, hey, a real book with pages.
Yes if they had Been vague and said we will email you when we know your shipping date and not given any date. I wouldn't have minded at all. Anyhow I have my Sony 300 to keep me going until it arrives n
Va
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #64
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Yes, finally got a round tuit. Ordered the wifi flavor about 5 mins ago. Hope to get it before xmas!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #65
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Yes, I've pre-ordered one. I have a K2. My husband got my K1. I have several covers and a new skin and it's not enough different to justify my getting the new one. But it seemed like a good time to replace the K1.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #66
Pandora
Pandora began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone, Kindle 3 (soon!)
Yes, I've pre-ordered one. I have been wanting a Kindle for ages and was so pleased to see it finally released in the UK. I am excited and looking forward to it being delivered.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #67
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
Yes, I've pre-ordered one and it will be my first Kindle. I put in my order before the August 1 cutoff date so mine should be shipped as part of the first shipment.

What finally persuaded me to order one was the addition of WiFi (3G service is poor where I live) and the lower price for the WiFi-only model. I'm looking forward to getting it and trying it out. Is it August 27th yet?
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #68
DarkHaloPrincess
Oooooeeeeeeeee...
DarkHaloPrincess doesn't litterDarkHaloPrincess doesn't litterDarkHaloPrincess doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket Edition (Rose Pink) & Kindle 3 (Preordered)
I've pre-ordered one. I've wanted a Kindle for a while now and now that they're being sold in the UK, I've grabbed myself one. I can't wait until it arrives! Have to wait till 4th Sept around I guess but I've got my sony to tide me over until then. I will miss the epub format though.

I'm sooo excited! Ordered the hot pink cover with it as well - may change that to the cover with the light but not sure, since that costs £50.

I like the sony user interface and easy navigation but the amazon book prices are the selling point.

My first ever Kindle.

Last edited by DarkHaloPrincess; 08-09-2010 at 07:18 AM.
DarkHaloPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #69
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
advantage in keeping k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I may give away my K1 to a relative, but not until I have my new K3 in my hands.
I think I want to keep my K1 registered to my account since the PID drm scheme is the easiest to remove. That seems to be a distinct advantage of of K1 as opposed to the k2 after the software update.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #70
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Finally made my move - Graphite 3G and Wi-fi - would love delivery for my birthday in October but not that fussed. Might start buying books in readiness - feel like a kid in a sweet factory!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #71
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Finally made my move - Graphite 3G and Wi-fi - would love delivery for my birthday in October but not that fussed. Might start buying books in readiness - feel like a kid in a sweet factory!
Amazon says Kindles ordered today should be delivered on or before September 8th. I think you'll have it in plenty of time, so Happy Birthday!
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #72
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Amazon says Kindles ordered today should be delivered on or before September 8th. I think you'll have it in plenty of time, so Happy Birthday!
ooo thanks carl
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #73
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My K2 is going to my 12yo daughter when I get my K3 3G (graphite).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #74
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My K2 is going to my husband. Wish my 12 year-old daughter wanted it!

I figure the only time I could miss 3G is when I am traveling. But my husband, with his K2, will have it. So I can buy the book, take his K2, and let him read a romance off my K3. Yeah, that should work!
Sydney's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #75
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I had a DXG show up about a month ago and liked it so much I ordered a wi-fi for me and a white wi-fi + 3G for the wife.

Ordered them 7/30, so I hope they 2 day ship 8/27 as promised.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote