Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Question about the basic kindle

Hi,
Can someone tell me if audiobooks can be loaded from overdrive onto the basic kindle? I know audible is supported, but I use my public library mostly.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You need to check What Formats are on the Kindle & What Formats your local library uses. Me I don't use an eReader for Audiobooks I use a Sansa clip.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Hi,
Can someone tell me if audiobooks can be loaded from overdrive onto the basic kindle? I know audible is supported, but I use my public library mostly.

Thanks,

Penny
You would need some tool to convert mp3 to aax (Audible) format. I’ve never managed to find one (at least on first few pages of search results). I have seen the format described as a ‘proprietary .mp4’, so maybe if you convert to mp4 and rename the file extension it will just work. I haven’t tried it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Thank you both. A friend gave me an iPod Nano. I guess that would be the best thing to use. It was collecting dust in my closet anyway.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Thank you both. A friend gave me an iPod Nano. I guess that would be the best thing to use. It was collecting dust in my closet anyway.

Penny
That is probably for the best. Audiobooks take up some storage space and there is not that much to spare on the basic Kindle and listening to them will impact battery life. Even if you could jump through all the hoops to get it to work on the basic Kindle, you are probably better off on the Nano anyway.
Shad Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Personally, I would want a device with wireless connectivity that you can install your library apps on (Overdrive, Hoopla, etc.), and ideally, expandable storage. I think you can get unlocked Android phones for under $50, for example. You do not need great specs for listening to audiobooks, or the latest Android version (I’d say anything Lollipop or later is fine).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i just received a new basic 8th get kindle, it's only audible support, it works fairly well, connected to my bluetooth headphones easily and operates well, i would never have more than the book I'm listening to at the time on the device anyhow so space isn't too beg of a concern. I'd still probably use my phone but its a good feature to have
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I checked my basic 8 and yes, while you can download and play Audible files, you can't drag over mp3 files (or even converted aax files) to play on it. Still, a good choice if you are going to be away or in the hospital. It will easily hold 3-6 audiobooks as well as a couple of hundred ebooks. Just bring a bluetooth speaker because there is no headphone jack. Good choice for whispersync titles if you like to switch between them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote