Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
HeardLocker
HeardLocker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Why Are Some Ebooks In Calibre Not Showing in My Kindle E-Reader

So when I plugged in my Kindle E-Reader (the most basic form of Kindle that isn't the Fire brand), it shows that my Kindle has around this set of ebooks. But when I unplug and see how many ebooks it has it has a slightly lower number. I have done a back-breaking inspection, but the difference is by 3-4 books. I can't understand why the amount of books shown in Calibre when I plug my Kindle and the amount of book on my Kindle when it is not plugged to anything are different. Can someone explain this to me why this happens and how it can be fixed? I have hundreds of ebooks so I would really appreciate an efficient method that gets the job done well.

Last edited by HeardLocker; 05-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.
HeardLocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
WAG(s)
You have duplicates (or misidentified as) books in your library.
Run the find duplicate plugin and see what it says.

Your Library has books with the wrong ASIN, thus matching 2 books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
HeardLocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
WAG(s)
You have duplicates (or misidentified as) books in your library.
Run the find duplicate plugin and see what it says.

Your Library has books with the wrong ASIN, thus matching 2 books
Sorry where is that plugin exactly?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
How did you determine the number of books that the Kindle is reporting?

There are a variety of Kindle models and the details of how they display books vary. It would help to know the firmware version from the device settings.

Depending on the display options in the library screen it may or may not include things like books in the cloud, collections, comics, personal documents, dictionaries and periodicals in the count shown.

Last edited by jhowell; 05-09-2018 at 07:36 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
HeardLocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
How did you determine the number of books that the Kindle is reporting?

There are a variety of Kindle models and the details of how they display books vary. It would help to know the firmware version from the device settings.

Depending on the screen and settings it may or may not include things like books in the cloud, collections, comics, personal documents, dictionaries and periodicals in the count shown.
In the Library, I made sure that the library would show all books. That means not just books or docs. But EVERYTHING. That's how I got to my number. Even the dictionary. And I had no collections, comics, personal documents, or periodicals. Same for Calibre.

Did the same thing for Calibre. And yet they have a different number by 3-4 than for my Kindle. Why they don't match confuses the heck out of me. And BTW, the number that shows up in Calibre is the calculation of the ebooks from the Kindle. None have been actually downloaded onto the Calibre library.

Last edited by HeardLocker; 05-09-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Advert
Old 05-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
For comparison my 2017 Kindle Oasis with 5.9.5.2 firmware and the library screen set to "Downloaded", "All items", "Recent" shows a count of 80 next to all items. Calibre instead shows 84 books on the device.

In this case the discrepancy is caused by 10 collections a not counted by calibre and 14 dictionaries not included in the Kindle's count.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
HeardLocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
For comparison my 2017 Kindle Oasis with 5.9.5.2 firmware and the library screen set to "Downloaded", "All items", "Recent" shows a count of 80 next to all items. Calibre instead shows 84 books on the device.

In this case the discrepancy is caused by 10 collections a not counted by calibre and 14 dictionaries not included in the Kindle's count.
The problem is I never had any collections in the first place though and I only use one dictionary. I share a cloud server that has collections but I never downloaded any of them onto my Kindle. I still don't get it.

Last edited by HeardLocker; 05-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Tags
calibre, ebooks, kindle, technical difficulties