Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Cookbooks in my kitchen!

I have two hobbies--reading and cooking. I have a whole bunch of recipes saved to my computer, but I had not purchased any digital cookbooks. I just didn't find using my ereader or 7 inch tablet in the kitchen appealing.

Then I bought one of those quirky Android TV boxes that look like an oversize flash drive but can hook into a flat screen TV. I bought one that uses my home WiFi and which can download reader apps from the Google Play Store. I paired it with a combo keyboard, touch pad and now my digital recipes and cookbooks are sooo easy to read on my smallish no frills flat screen kitchen TV. Amazing.

I have my digital recipes in Google Drive (though they could be on the SD card the TV box accepts or drop box etc) and I use Aldiko, Amazon, or Kobo apps for cookbooks.

Really nice. I got my TV Box here: http://tvbox.geekbuying.com/ and the keyboard is by Logitech. The TV box comes with a small remote, but I find the keyboard easier to use.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
TV-connected android boxes look to be the next "hot" gadget. There's been a few third-tier vendors playing there:
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wise-ti...tv-03-12-2012/

But after google announced the Nexus Q:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...s-q-google-tv/

...the bigger players are getting into the game:
http://reviews.cnet.com/search-resul...-35567065.html

An area worth keeping an eye on since it does bring ebooks to yet another corner (or two) of the tech world.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I bought mine, I knew that there would most likely be something bigger/better coming fairly soon, but the investment was fairly small (less than $70) and replacing it in a year or so seemed doable if I decide I want something with more features.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Seems like I get three free cook books from Amazon each day. I have quite a collection. I read them on a kindle fire whose cover includes a stand.

We have a tv in the kitchen, but I like having the recipe where I cook.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I use my iPad. I have some great cookbooks but I really love the app that I have that imports recipies from various websites. It is pretty sweet.

We use one of the cookbook holders with a clear screen to protect the iPad. Set the screen saver timer to not turn off and you are good to go.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I am a bit useless in the kitchen, but on occasion have tried my best at making something edible, every time using my iPad and chefkoch.de, which is probably the largest collection of user generated recipes anywhere in the world (though only in German).
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I find the 24 inch TV screen easier on my old eyes than my 7 inch tablet. I tend to sit at my kitchen table to do food prep and the TV is right there. Different strokes...
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I think this is a great idea. No food splatters or grubby hands on recipe books or electronic devices and the recipe displayed prominently.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I use my ASUS EEE Transformer and the allrecipes.com "DinnerSpinnerPro" app to work
with recipes, in the kitchen and to make my modified shopping list for the recipe. The
site has user comments/recipe modifications/improvements to most of the recipes that
are listed. The app lets you modify the ingredients/shopping list to help you get the
things you need, to make it the way you want.

While I'm pretty sure it's not "dishwasher safe", it is easy to wipe any cooking spills/smudges off the heavy duty glass.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
With everybody who sticks their nose in while cooking is going on I print on paper and stick it to a surface at eye level. I tend not to use cook books. I see items I like and google. Or google a list of ingredients I have on hand for new ideas.
I am not that mean to the trees i tend to print on the other side of something the kids printed out and as usual forgot to take to uni.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote