Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 10-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #1
cincila
cincila began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino shine 3
Few questions about tolino shine 3

Hi all

So to be honest I really wanted a kobo device, but they sre unreasonably expensive in Croatia where I live or amazon.de. I wamted Clara HD and seeing that price on amazon is 150$ +15$ shipping which is pretty much the price of newest paperwhite so I could not stomach buying a 3 year old device for the price of new or possibly better. I hate kindle system so I could not buy that either. I decided to buy myself tolino shine 3 as it was 80$ for new device and I read here somwhere that it was SAME hardware as Clara HD.

I have few questions regarding device anyways

1. Are users generally happy with it? your experiences?

2. I plan to mod it with faster sd card and possibly rooting it,putting TWRP etc. Is it possible to simply return original sd card for device to "forget" everything I did to it in case I make mistake?

3. Is it possible to put kobo clara HD firmware on it and effectively convert it to kobo? Honestly I really wish to use pocket on my device.

Thanks in advance for your answers and I am sorry if there are answers for questions above allready but I saw that most threads are atleast year old so hopefully there is new info.
cincila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #2
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
1. My mother is using a Tolino Shine 3 and she is happy with it, but she don't have much demands to an ereader.

2. So if you copy the original SD card, keep it safe and play around with the SD card copy, then yes, you could return the original SD card to the Shine 3. You could also make an image of the original SD card and keep that safe to play with the original SD card and overwrite it with this original image when you made a mistake.

3. No it's not possible. It has been tried by several persons in this forum, including me. We assume that it has something to do with the processor, because the Shine 3 is using a different one than the Clara HD.

If want to install apps on your Shine 3 (you won't need root for that), you could install an older version of the Pocket app that is compatible with Android 4.4.2.
Or you could import your Pocket articles into Instapaper. IP allows you to download an epub file containing your articles!
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2021, 11:13 PM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
If want to install apps on your Shine 3 (you won't need root for that), you could install an older version of the Pocket app that is compatible with Android 4.4.2.
It is very easy on firmware 14.2

Last edited by ottischwenk; 10-23-2021 at 11:16 PM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:47 AM   #4
cincila

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
It is very easy on firmware 14.2
any guide?

On all threads it is usually 13.x frimware in question
Old 10-24-2021, 02:02 AM   #5
cincila

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
1. My mother is using a Tolino Shine 3 and she is happy with it, but she don't have much demands to an ereader.

2. So if you copy the original SD card, keep it safe and play around with the SD card copy, then yes, you could return the original SD card to the Shine 3. You could also make an image of the original SD card and keep that safe to play with the original SD card and overwrite it with this original image when you made a mistake.

3. No it's not possible. It has been tried by several persons in this forum, including me. We assume that it has something to do with the processor, because the Shine 3 is using a different one than the Clara HD.

Or you could import your Pocket articles into Instapaper. IP allows you to download an epub file containing your articles!
Thanks

Is it possible to just install pocket app and have it in the menu or is it more complicated?
How will this affect battery/usage?
Advert
Old 10-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincila View Post
any guide?
Update to version 14.2.
Search 124816 - a hidden menu opens; on page 2 you can install apk files located in root directory.
But for using you must install and setup an app swithing possibility.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:20 AM   #7
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Quote:
Thanks

Is it possible to just install pocket app and have it in the menu or is it more complicated?
How will this affect battery/usage?
Yes you can install the old Version of the pocket App but you must have, like Otti said, something like OneToucher to switch between the tolino App and the pocket App.

It will affect the battery usage but I don't know if it will be significant
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:31 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
It will affect the battery usage but I don't know if it will be significant
This app lurks in the background - it works and consumes power, but I never checked how much.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:49 AM   #9
cincila

Quote:
Update to version 14.2.
Search 124816 - a hidden menu opens; on page 2 you can install apk files located in root directory.
But for using you must install and setup an app swithing possibility.
I just wish for pocket app, so if I understand correctly I need to download APKs for onetoucher and pocket, put them in root directory and install using "Search 124816 " function?

nothing else?
Old 10-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

You have to download Pocket app for Android 4.4, Onetoucher, and a Launcher.
Copy it into root directory.
search for 124816, a new menu opens, enable usb debugging, switch to page 2,
install launcher, OneToucher, and pocket (dont care about error messages)
reboot
boot in launcher (once)
start Onetoucher - setup, that it should start at booting, use floating window, disable animation.
When settting - dont forget to set onetoucher as app to open.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
cincila

Quote:
You have to download Pocket app for Android 4.4, Onetoucher, and a Launcher.
Copy it into root directory.
search for 124816, a new menu opens, enable usb debugging, switch to page 2,
install launcher, OneToucher, and pocket (dont care about error messages)
reboot
boot in launcher (once)
start Onetoucher - setup, that it should start at booting, use floating window, disable animation.
When settting - dont forget to set onetoucher as app to open.
Thank you for this
Are there any down sides to this?
Old 10-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #12
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Increased battery consumption.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
cincila

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Increased battery consumption.
is it very noticable?

also what apos would you guys recommend/use ?
Old 10-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
is it very noticable?
I don't care - I have power sockets at home and a battery in the car.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #15
cincila

Quote:
I don't care - I have power sockets at home and a battery in the car.
good point.

Can you recommend me reading apps you use or your general setup?

Also about dictionary in english?

I ask far more thing than expected but honestly did not expect so much good answers

Thank you