Old 12-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
w26g
Banned
w26g began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Angry Aura One freezes when reading pdf and charging

Here's one sample file:

Link deleted by moderator

That file to reader and connect to charger. Then read and zoom pdf. I'm so disappointed to this reader. Had to reset it few times, because it's completely frozen. All books and settings are lost. Why this reader do not save settings to cloud?

I really need pdf support because all my work stuff are pdf's..

And Kobo support can't help. Do not buy this e-reader!

Last edited by HarryT; 12-09-2018 at 03:14 PM.
w26g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Unfortunately PDFs are problematical.

Maybe some more info on your device would help.

What firmware level are you on?

I've loaded your linked ebook onto a Clara HD running a current build and have no issues.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
The link you posted appears to be to a copy of a commercially-published book, and has accordingly been deleted. MobileRead takes the matter of copyright infringement very seriously. Please do not do this again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why recharge while reading?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
first of all why have you bought 230$ ereader to read pdfs??

second you got 2 posts:
first one "dont buy..."
second one: "cr@p"

well mate this is the e reader, not designed for pdf's. it is designed for epubs, kepubs, and comics.
if you read pdfs buy tablet.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by w26g View Post
Here's one sample file:

Link deleted by moderator

That file to reader and connect to charger. Then read and zoom pdf. I'm so disappointed to this reader. Had to reset it few times, because it's completely frozen. All books and settings are lost. Why this reader do not save settings to cloud?

[/B]
I frequently read with the charger or PC connected on all Kobo ereaders. Not for any length of time, but, mainly to check something. This includes the Aura ONE. And just checking a PDF on it while connected to the PC, I could open it, page through it, rotate and zoom with no problems. There have been occasional reports of strange things happening when using these devices when connected to a charger. From memory, they have all been due to some combination of cable and charger/PC port, or a couple have been a faulty device. In the latter cases, when the device was exchanged, everything was OK.

If this is happening with all books, or all PDFs, then it is probably a device fault. It could be a firmware issue, so updating to the latest released for the Aura ONE is a good idea. If it is happening with just some books, it is likely something strange in the books. In that case, I'd like to see it to test, but that causes problems if it is under copyright. You can report this to Kobo for them to look at.

And what are you doing to recover from this? Holding the power button down for about 20 seconds should force the device to turn off. It should then turn on and restart without needing to be setup again. Are you doing something else?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
If you had asked (or looked around) here first, you would have seen the very frequent advice that a tablet is the first choice for reading PDFs, especially those with any sort of complex formatting. Tablets are cheap and readily available.

Since you already have the kobo, you might want to look into Koreader.

Quote:
And Kobo support can't help. Do not buy this e-reader!
Rubbish. Buy the tool that is best suited for the task at hand.

And you shouldn't need to factory reset to get out of a simple freeze. Just press and hold the power button.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I use quite a few PDF manuals at work. That's why I have an iPad Pro. The bigger screen, faster CPU and more RAM make reading PDF documents a lot less painful. Admittedly, my employer paid for that toy.

I did try multiple PDF documents that I keep on my Kobo ereaders and I could not duplicate your issue with zooming while reading hanging the ereader unplugged or with a connection to either a charger or computer.

I also find your claim that you had to factory reset several times questionable. The few freezes my KA1 has experienced were corrected by holding the power button to force a power off and then powering it back on. This did not result in any loss of books or settings from the device.

Perhaps using an USB 3.0 charger to charge an USB 2.0 device might not be the greatest idea. One co-worker fried his Kindle using his Huawei's charger with an USB-C output of 5/9/12volt @ 2A. Evidently, it did not negotiate properly with the Kindle's USB 2 interface.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-09-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Fat fingered typos.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Expected behavior, because Kobo.

And this is the expected answer on this Kobo subforum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why recharge while reading?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Expected behavior, because Kobo.
As I stated above, none of my devices have ever hung when reading while it was connected to a PC and there have been very of similar reports over the years, why is it expected behaviour?
Quote:
And this is the expected answer on this Kobo subforum:
And while I don't think it was a particularly useful question, it is a question to ask to work out what someone is doing to help work out overall what is going on. And if the only issue is when the device is connected to a PC or charger, calling it "useless cr@p" is going a bit far.

And if we are on "expected behaviour", then your post is expected behaviour from you. And you are probably thinking "expected behaviour" from me, but I'm OK with that.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps using an USB 3.0 charger to charge an USB 2.0 device might not be the greatest idea. One co-worker fried his Kindle using his Huawei's charger with an USB-C output of 5/9/12volt @ 2A. Evidently, it did not negotiate properly with the Kindle's USB 2 interface.
Yeah, I can see that having...um...'unwanted' effects . I use my OnePlus charger all the time to charge both my ONE and my Forma, but that delivers a normal 5V at a maximum of 4A (what OnePlus calls 'DashCharge'), it does not mess with the charging voltage.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
most likely the fast charger supplies a "dirty" voltage or RF interference which messes up other things within the device , like touch screen detection and thus causes the freeze.
I have seen those "dirty" effects on windows laptops where using a cheap generic charger severely messes with touch pad controls - but only while charger is operating.
its it not really fair to blame Kobo for side effects that are not present with a Kobo approved charger.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
most likely the fast charger supplies a "dirty" voltage or RF interference which messes up other things within the device , like touch screen detection and thus causes the freeze.
I have seen those "dirty" effects on windows laptops where using a cheap generic charger severely messes with touch pad controls - but only while charger is operating.
I don't remember seeing any issues reported like this for the devices with IR touch. So, RF or other electrical interference with the capacitive touch was what I was thinking of as well.
Quote:
its it not really fair to blame Kobo for side effects that are not present with a Kobo approved charger.
Except that the OP reported the same problem when connected to the PC. It could be the cable, or something bad on the PC. Those can be tested. But, it feels more like an issue with the device.

But, if it only happens while using the zoom in PDFs, I'm not sure. Maybe resizing the PDF is running the CPU hotter and triggering an edge case? That again suggests a faulty device. But, an unusual fault based on the lack of reports.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:19 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
re=reading the entire thread and noting the test done in post #2, it does seem to be a device issue...
if the PDF title can be posted, maybe someone else has a copy and can repeat a test on a Kobo
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Does Kobo have approved chargers? I believe all I received from Kobo with my ereaders was cables, and I don't recall any mention of approved chargers.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura one, charging, freeze, pdf, reset