Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
how "tough" is the kindle oasis 2?

Hi all, have not had a new ereader in years and am thinking the oasis because I love to read in the tub with my rubber ducky. I am just wondering, with a screen protector how tough is the oasis or am I a fool to even consider such a sweet reader without a cover. and if I did go with a cover what would be the slimmest lightest available? I would really want to have as little weight in my hand as possible, thanks....
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I feel like the Oasis 2 is probably similar in toughness to other Kindle readers, with the addition that it is waterproof as well. That being said, the screen is not Gorilla glass, and both the screen and the metal back are vulnerable to scratches, so a case is helpful. A case/cover can also enhance one's grip on the device as well (keep in mind its unusual shape).

I personally like this case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BVPHXTW...v_ov_lig_dp_it. It uses a similar design to the official cover, which was withdrawn by Amazon. It is thin light, easy to remove/put on, and comes in a variety of colors/materials. Some feel that it does not stay on well enough, but I think this depends a lot on how you hold it. I personally have not had any problems with mine falling off unless I squeeze it from the sides when picking it up. It would not offer much protection from falls, but it definitely will protect it from scratches, and help keep dust off the screen. It attaches with a magnet, so if I feel like taking it off to read, I can do so very easily.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Very tough

Last year I was using the Kobo Aura 2. One bricked after a 1 foot fall to a carpet. The other bricked after a sideswipe by someone's wrist. I then got the Oasis 2. So far it has dropped four feet to the same carpet, four feet to a wood floor and has been carried on a busy train five days a week for six months during which it has been repeatedly jostled. No problem. Works great. IMHO it is a pretty reliable device.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Last year I was using the Kobo Aura 2. One bricked after a 1 foot fall to a carpet. The other bricked after a sideswipe by someone's wrist. I then got the Oasis 2. So far it has dropped four feet to the same carpet, four feet to a wood floor and has been carried on a busy train five days a week for six months during which it has been repeatedly jostled. No problem. Works great. IMHO it is a pretty reliable device.
with no cover or screen protector?
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:09 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
with no cover or screen protector?
Not sure about his, but mine fell with no ill effect about 2 feet onto concrete floor landing on the screen without any cover or protector. My wife's Oasis 2 regularly drops out of bed onto hard vinyl floor when she falls asleep reading. Hers is in a Fintie cover, when it falls it is folded back and usually lays open upon landing. Makes a nice clonk noise too.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
How tough? So tough that Kindle felt a case that offered almost no protection but "personalized" the device was sufficient.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I was reading my Oasis 2 on our deck stairs while the kids were playing outside. I set it down on the step to help out my 3 year old and the neighbor's 3 year old came up on deck and stepped right on the Kindle. It survived with no obvious marks on the screen.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I've gotten two different answers about the front cover being held by the magnets when it's folded back for reading. One says yes, the other says no. What do you find with yours?
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
I've gotten two different answers about the front cover being held by the magnets when it's folded back for reading. One says yes, the other says no. What do you find with yours?
Yes, the magnet will hold the cover when you fold it back (will not flop around). Just be careful how you grip it when it is in this configuration. It will fall off when accidentally squeezed from both sides at once. Otherwise, it stays on quite securely.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Yes, the magnet will hold the cover when you fold it back (will not flop around). Just be careful how you grip it when it is in this configuration. It will fall off when accidentally squeezed from both sides at once. Otherwise, it stays on quite securely.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Interesting, I have that same cover, the cats, but mine does not hold anything of the front cover when folded back. It just gets held in place by the hand gripping it, unless it falls off from the grip. But the magnets don't hold mine in place that way. They have more colors out now, so maybe the newer ones are different. I have given up on mine as although it was ok at the beginning, it just kept falling off and wouldn't stay put no matter what. My original actually stays better, I just wanted something else because of the suede leather that scratches.

I ended up getting one with rounded edges to snap in. I didn't want a cover like that, but at this point I deal with it. That cover is really nice, but I can't take it off for reading.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
Avwriter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Interesting, I have that same cover, the cats, but mine does not hold anything of the front cover when folded back. It just gets held in place by the hand gripping it, unless it falls off from the grip. But the magnets don't hold mine in place that way. They have more colors out now, so maybe the newer ones are different. I have given up on mine as although it was ok at the beginning, it just kept falling off and wouldn't stay put no matter what. My original actually stays better, I just wanted something else because of the suede leather that scratches.

I ended up getting one with rounded edges to snap in. I didn't want a cover like that, but at this point I deal with it. That cover is really nice, but I can't take it off for reading.
That's strange. I noticed that in addition to different colors/patterns, they also come in three different materials (vinyl, leather, and fabric). I have one of the fabric covers. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #13
jscris
Addict

Quote:
That's strange. I noticed that in addition to different colors/patterns, they also come in three different materials (vinyl, leather, and fabric). I have one of the fabric covers. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Apparently that's why I got two different answers on Amazon. I received the fake leather one today and the front cover is held back, although not as firmly as with the Amazon version and pretty lightly. So I guess that's a change from the fabric version, or from their first offerings. I think the Oasis2 is held in the case more firmly than with the original cover, although easy to take out. I'm disappointed in the color. I thought dark red would be like the original cover but it's a brighter red. Other than that, I think I'm going to like it. Feels nice and soft. Not something I'd want to drop very far and expect protection, though.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Avwriter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Apparently that's why I got two different answers on Amazon. I received the fake leather one today and the front cover is held back, although not as firmly as with the Amazon version and pretty lightly. So I guess that's a change from the fabric version, or from their first offerings. I think the Oasis2 is held in the case more firmly than with the original cover, although easy to take out. I'm disappointed in the color. I thought dark red would be like the original cover but it's a brighter red. Other than that, I think I'm going to like it. Feels nice and soft. Not something I'd want to drop very far and expect protection, though.
Good to hear you like the leather one. I am liking my fabric one so much that I am tempted to get a leather one too, but now I know not to get the red one. One would think that "red wine" would clearly indicate a dark red. Perhaps the gray or brown...
Old 05-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #15
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
Hi all, have not had a new ereader in years and am thinking the oasis because I love to read in the tub with my rubber ducky. I am just wondering, with a screen protector how tough is the oasis or am I a fool to even consider such a sweet reader without a cover. and if I did go with a cover what would be the slimmest lightest available? I would really want to have as little weight in my hand as possible, thanks....
I have never had a problem with any of the kindles falling and breaking...now sitting on them is another story. Any of the Fintie style of cases will protect from scratching without too much weight.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote