Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
KO2: Will it bend?

Just an illusion perhaps--the curve of the camera lens maybe--but I see pictures of the new Kindle Oasis and it looks like the thin part of the device is slightly bent.

Is your KO2 perfectly flat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	not_flat.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	160702  
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Its totally flat. Don't think the glass would survive otherwise.
Some camera thing I guess.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Just an illusion perhaps--the curve of the camera lens maybe--but I see pictures of the new Kindle Oasis and it looks like the thin part of the device is slightly bent.

Is your KO2 perfectly flat?
Mine isn't, but it's pretty close. The reference surfaces (including carpenter's level) should allow judgement of lens curvature. I think most of the bend is in the transition from thick to thin.

Sorry for the tilt.

I don't know how it was out of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oasis2flatness1.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	160703   Click image for larger version

Name:	oasis2flatness2.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	160704  
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #4
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Mine isn't, but it's pretty close. The reference surfaces (including carpenter's level) should allow judgement of lens curvature. I think most of the bend is in the transition from thick to thin.

Sorry for the tilt.

I don't know how it was out of the box.
Ahh... so not an illusion. Interesting. I guess if an iPhone can bend, a Kindle can. The glass flexes enough.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Just for the sake of argument, there is a difference between bending and being bent. I did not get the sense from j.p.s. that the unit was flexible, just very slightly curved.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Just for the sake of argument, there is a difference between bending and being bent. I did not get the sense from j.p.s. that the unit was flexible, just very slightly curved.
Correct. It seems at least somewhat stiff. I am not inclined to explore how flexible it might be.

Just this week on the 'Science Friday' radio show, it was mentioned that a curved surface increases stiffness. An example given was folding a piece of pizza to avoid it drooping.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I examined mine again, carefully. It is completely straight and flat. I have no curvature. None.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
vrf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I examined mine again, carefully. It is completely straight and flat. I have no curvature. None.
Right, it's probably not designed to have the slight curve. But is it possible some units were stressed outside of tolerances, maybe when sealing the front glass on?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Right, it's probably not designed to have the slight curve. But is it possible some units were stressed outside of tolerances, maybe when sealing the front glass on?
I think that it may have been designed to be slightly concave. May Voyage is similar.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #10
Atunah
Wizard

You guys are gonna make me keep staring at my Oasis from the side.
My husband been giving me the side eye like, what the heck are you doing.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
The fact this this didn't come up until now indicates that it is not as big of a deal. There is probably an allowable amount of curvature and it could be that the units are all in tolerance.

I wonder if the curvature could have something to do with some of the problems people had with the official case. I remember HarryT stating that his cover worked better after a few days. Maybe it took a few days for the case to mold to the Oasis to fit right.
Shad Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
The fact this this didn't come up until now indicates that it is not as big of a deal.
\\

No. it's either an indication that the KOA2 has far fewer flaws than past Kindles, and we are already running out of things to criticize (usually this would have taken another year or so), or, and this is far more likely, it just goes to show that we are all a very very strange lot, and we would have never found each other were it not for the Internet.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #13
vrf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
The fact this this didn't come up until now indicates that it is not as big of a deal.
True, doesn't look like it's going to snap or anything. And it doesn't fit in back pockets like when the iPhone had the Bendgate issues.

I don't think the curvature is by design though. Too inconsistent.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Great!
You now have curved technology in your ebook readers, for a more immersed view!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #15
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Better viewing angles (like TVs). Lol.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koa2, oasis 2017