Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
pisymbol
pisymbol began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Not able to select menu entries in top-left corner

Recently I've started using Koreader on my Kobo Aura H20 reader because of its superior PDF support. However, I'm experiencing quite an annoying problem, which someone here might know something about. The problem itself is that I'm not able to tap/select anything, including menu items, in the top-left corner of the screen. For example, I'm not able to select the first (leftmost) 2 items on the top menu. Does anyone has any idea what might be causing this?

For the time being the only workaround I've come up with is switching to landscape mode, in which case the menu item moves in the bottom-left corner, where I can select it.

I understand this could easily be a problem with my device, but the strange part is that using the default Kobo firmware (a.k.a. nickel), I'm not having such a "blind spot" on the screen: I can successfully tap the top-left menu icon.

If nothing comes to mind regarding the cause for this behavior, can someone suggest a workaround that will enable me to tap on the first 2 menu items without having to switch to landscape mode? For example, is there a way to configure Koreader to, let's say, use only the right/east 80% of the screen for rendering the menu?
pisymbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader includes scripts and "Advanced settings" that you can use to alter the areas of the touchscreen that respond and the actions that result. Perhaps something managed to corrupt that? You could try downloading and installing a new KOReader folder.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
pisymbol

Ken, thanks for your reply! However, the issue is present after fresh install, and not related to showing the main menu, but selecting some of the items in it. The advanced settings you refer to are probably the ones for defining the screen area responding to taps to show the main menu. I can change those, but would that also change the location where the menu itself is displayed? If not, I was wondering if there is a way to control the menu style itself, let's say its width. Do you know about that?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You also can't select the new home button in the file browser?

Have you tried cleaning your screen?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:05 AM   #5
pisymbol

Frenzie, yes, I can't select the new home button in the file browser. Screen is clean as a whistle.
Advert
Old 10-25-2017, 04:11 AM   #6
pisymbol

I noticed something else: In the frontend/device/kobo/device.lua file, I have this section:

-- Kobo Aura H2O:
local KoboDahlia = Kobo:new{
model = "Kobo_dahlia",
hasFrontlight = yes,
touch_phoenix_protocol = true,
display_dpi = 265,
-- the bezel covers the top 11 pixels:
viewport = Geom:new{x=0, y=11, w=1080, h=1429},
}

You see there the modified geometry due to 11 pixels of the screen covered by the bezel. However, per specification, the screen has a height of 1430 px. 1430-11=1419, so I would've expected to see "h=1419" in the config. Does that make sense? Unfortunately, changing this does not resolve my issue.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:16 AM   #7
pisymbol

As I stated in my original post, I would also be happy with a workaround. For example, changing the menu width, location, or even the order of items in it (some I need more than others, and I don't care about the home button in the file browser). I haven't been able to find settings for any of those.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisymbol View Post
I noticed something else: In the frontend/device/kobo/device.lua file, I have this section:

-- Kobo Aura H2O:
local KoboDahlia = Kobo:new{
model = "Kobo_dahlia",
hasFrontlight = yes,
touch_phoenix_protocol = true,
display_dpi = 265,
-- the bezel covers the top 11 pixels:
viewport = Geom:new{x=0, y=11, w=1080, h=1429},
}

You see there the modified geometry due to 11 pixels of the screen covered by the bezel. However, per specification, the screen has a height of 1430 px. 1430-11=1419, so I would've expected to see "h=1419" in the config. Does that make sense? Unfortunately, changing this does not resolve my issue.
It's 1440 (hardware) -11 (bezel) = 1429 (what you can actually use).

Changing it to 1419 will cut off 10 pixels at the bottom.

It is a potential workaround strategy you could use if you're willing to give up on part of the top of your screen, but I imagine you'd prefer something else.

y=50, h=1390

You could try Sketch by baskerville to see about touch responsivity: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285376

Shifting the menu to the right should be fairly simple by inserting some vertical padding here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...hmenu.lua#L162

But I find this "works in Nickel" thing rather odd.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Odd indeed, if it is software related, then it is as if something has stolen the touch events for the affected area.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote