Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Vocabulary builder reset ????

I think I have a few hundred words piled up in Vocabulary builder. I would like to know if there is a way to reset VB ?? It would take me forever to "Master" all the words 1 by one.... Any thoughts ? Thank you
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can delete words from it. I don't have my PW in front of me right now, but it's easy to do, I recall.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can delete words from it. I don't have my PW in front of me right now, but it's easy to do, I recall.
I know you can .... but 1 by 1 only. And if you have a few hundred words it's not so easy to delete them all
Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
menu settings menu reset
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
arad26
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
menu settings menu reset
If i could do that without loosing everything on my kindle would be great. I thought about something more practical.
I spoke with Amazon and they said the only way is to either delete words 1 by on (if you have almost 1000 words it's almost impossible) or the Factory reset... but they will consider to improve it with the next update. Finger crossed
Advert
Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
I know you can .... but 1 by 1 only. And if you have a few hundred words it's not so easy to delete them all

When I do this, it takes about 1 second for each deletion. I probably have 100 or so, and I go in and periodically prune them when I've mastered them.

If that might be true in your case, can two minutes (more or less) really be "...not that easy to delete them all" from your device?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, there's a dedicated database file somewhere in the var part, so it might be as simple as well-placed rm, provided the device is jailbroken.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
arad26
Zealot

I did a Factory reset after all to get rid of 2000 words from the Vocabulary Builder . Setup the Kindle again, and guess what? After a few minutes all of my words from VB were back again!!!! Called CS and asked them about it ... and they said that i can't get rid of all the words because because they are stored on their servers , so the Factory reset it's no good for that. I knew that Amazon stores many information ..... but to save all the words from VB on their server is a little to much.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Vocabulary Builder only contains words that you've looked up in the dictionary, right? Doesn't the fact that you've looked them up indicate that you don't know what they mean?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
arad26
Zealot

Quote:
Vocabulary Builder only contains words that you've looked up in the dictionary, right? Doesn't the fact that you've looked them up indicate that you don't know what they mean?
Exactly, but i have 2000 words and i wanted to delete them all at once. But they are all saved on the Amazon's server and i can't delete them all . Hopefully they will fix that .
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Doesn't the fact that you've looked them up indicate that you don't know what they mean?
Sometimes I look up words just to find out the etymology.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Interesting that they store Vocabulary Builder information on their server. I wonder if this is for only books purchased through Amazon or if they store the information for side-loaded books as well. Don't really have any reason to need to know this--just idle curiosity.

Took a glance at my Vocabulary Builder list and had to laugh--someone seeing my list would think I don't have much of a vocabulary at all--I frequently end up looking up simple words by accidentally choosing the wrong word to look up.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
arad26
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Interesting that they store Vocabulary Builder information on their server. I wonder if this is for only books purchased through Amazon or if they store the information for side-loaded books as well. Don't really have any reason to need to know this--just idle curiosity.

Took a glance at my Vocabulary Builder list and had to laugh--someone seeing my list would think I don't have much of a vocabulary at all--I frequently end up looking up simple words by accidentally choosing the wrong word to look up.
They store the words from the side loaded books also.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Weird! My VB doesn't work, presumably because the reader still hasn't been hooked up to wifi. But if it did work it would contain words such as 'the' 'and' etc, which I've accidentally clicked when trying to turn the page or get the top menu down!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:13 AM   #15
dtp
dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW1
There is db file in /system/vocabulary/vocab.db
If you remove the file and restart kindle it won't help, file will be downloaded from Amazon, but if you alter db and after restart kindle it will do.

To alter db use these commands:

this removes mastered words
sqlite3 vocab.db "DELETE FROM WORDS where category=100;"
this will remove not mastered words
sqlite3 vocab.db "DELETE FROM WORDS where category=0;"
this removes word references to books
sqlite3 vocab.db "DELETE FROM LOOKUPS where id!='blabla';"

sqlite3 you can download from https://sqlite.org/download.html
linux or mac most certainly will have it installed.
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote