Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #31
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
It doesn't and I'm 64. Heck, I got sick the first time I saw Avatar.
So did I, but it wasn't from motion sickness.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #32
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The only solution is ebooks on electronic road signs. Yes, imagine six words fed to you every sixth of a mile. At that rate, you should be finished with a book in half a day. I can't wait for the first ebook app on Google glasses. Wink at the end of each sentence.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #33
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
The only solution is ebooks on electronic road signs.
"it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known. Burma-Shave."

Last edited by ApK; 06-03-2013 at 11:57 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #34
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
First different folks have different tolerances.
Second motion sickness pills can help Indeed some people need them without reading being added to the motion mix.
Third studies show that the brain, eyes and inner ear combination all do better if the eye can see outside the vehicle while reading. This alerts the whole system to expect motion and you will adjust internally better. It might not cure it but they claim it helps.
Many times people that get motion sickness in the back seat do better in the front seat because they adapt to the motion when it is more apparent to the brain.
Fourth like sea sickness, after you throw up a few times, it gets better.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #35
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I can't read at all in a car. I can't even ride in the back seat. Vans, SUV's and large vehicles have me "green" in minutes. I have to be the driver on long trips otherwise....I am usually laying down queezy. It is just terrible.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #36
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Many times people that get motion sickness in the back seat do better in the front seat because they adapt to the motion when it is more apparent to the brain.
Indeed. I can ride any rollercoaster as long as I'm in the front seat. Anywhere else and I get sick.
The book "Packing For Mars" had an interesting chapter on motion sickness and how scientists can induce it.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Never been a big fan of headphones.

And when I was pregnant with #2, I still had to pay attention to #1 in the back seat.
If they're too quiet in the backseat mischief is afoot huh.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #38
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I never had issues with motion sickness and reading, then I met Halifax bus drivers. There must be a section in their training on how to induce motion sickness in passengers, because a lot of the drivers can induce nausea when I try to read.
They must have had the same instructor as my Church's bus driver then. I've tried reading on the church bus in the past and felt nausea creeping up on me. And I don't live anywhere near Halifax.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #39
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I feel that way as well, when I'm reading in the car or I'm working on my laptop I feel carsick; I feel nauseous and tired instantly so I avoid doing these things when I'm in a car now. When you do anything that involves focusing such as reading and you're in a moving vehicle, you're going to feel carsick and that's normal. So I suggest listening to audiobooks.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #40
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Same. Car is a no-no for me, but bus, trains and planes are fine.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #41
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Motion sickness on a bus is probably due to the type of suspension rather than the driver. Personally I'm fine in long distance buses and trains.
I'm never ill on a plane (powered or glder), on a boat I'm good for five or six hours, then I throw up for a few hours, then I'm fine. (sailing boat)
I usually end up driving in a car, so use audiobooks. I've got bluetooth over ear headphones which are great, no wires and keep out a lot of external noise.
Try ginger, or wrist bands if you suffer motion sickness.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
I usually end up driving in a car, so use audiobooks. I've got bluetooth over ear headphones which are great, no wires and keep out a lot of external noise.
That's a really, REALLY bad idea. You don't want to keep out "external noise" if you're driving a car. You need to be aware of what's going on around you, and noise is an important point of that.

If you were to wear headphones while driving a car in the UK you'd be stopped by the police and almost certainly charged with "driving without due care and attention".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I wonder if one of those IFR training hoods that pilots use would help those affected by visual motion on the periphery?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #44
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a really, REALLY bad idea. You don't want to keep out "external noise" if you're driving a car. You need to be aware of what's going on around you, and noise is an important point of that.

If you were to wear headphones while driving a car in the UK you'd be stopped by the police and almost certainly charged with "driving without due care and attention".
+1! Illegal many places here, too, and for good reason.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
+1! Illegal many places here, too, and for good reason.
It sounds like they are just as bad as talking or texting on the cell phone while driving. I don't know why people do such things while driving myself.