Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
dannotdan
dannotdan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Progress sync

It looks like the default progress sync server has been down for some time. Syncing was THE reason I installed KOReader, though, so I am willing to work for this. Does anyone have a good ELI5 on how to set up an Ubuntu server to handle this? Thanks!
dannotdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
www began at the beginning.

Device: none
It seems that setting up a sync server is quite straightforward. https://github.com/koreader/koreader-sync-server. But the maintainence burden is killing me. I hope they can fix their sync server soon.

Last edited by www; 09-29-2017 at 09:25 PM.
www is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
dannotdan

Thanks, I guess it is time to learn about Docker. I've been putting it off.... What is difficult about the maintenance on this?
Old 09-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
www began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannotdan View Post
Thanks, I guess it is time to learn about Docker. I've been putting it off.... What is difficult about the maintenance on this?
It is just as difficlut as maintaining any server. Setting up a server is easy, but keeping it running for a long time is hard. I do not want to maintain a progress sync server for the same reason people choose to use dropbox instead of running owncloud.
www is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Btw, Syncthing is a lot easier than Owncloud if you just want to sync some files.

I'm trying to avoid investigating the sync.koreader.rocks server myself as I'd just waste a lot of time looking into how it's set up etc. before I could get around to fixing it, but I've relayed a message to those who should be in the know. (Unfortunately busy, busy, busy. )

It also looks like the code may not have switched the default to sync.koreader.rocks yet, but as I don't really know about this sync thing I don't know if that's safe or if there should be some kind of migration. Then again, if it isn't working right now anyway then I guess it doesn't really matter.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a quick little update that we're investigating it. That other server is dead, so the location has changed (see here). However, there's some issue with the Cloudflare protection that needs resolving.

Apparently the reason the code hasn't updated the location is because @houqp wanted to make the passwords more secure first (currently MD5) but seeing how there hasn't been functional default sync for a long time now I reckon that can wait.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard

I tracked down the problem. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, tomorrow's nightly will include the fix.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
dannotdan

That's fantastic, thank you! I will plan to update & report back.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
dannotdan

I've only updated on Android so far, but at least there I still get the "Unknown server error" when attempting to register.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannotdan View Post
I've only updated on Android so far, but at least there I still get the "Unknown server error" when attempting to register.
Did you provide a user name and password, before selecting the "Register" button? Working on my Galaxy S7 active Android phone. That's with KOReader v2015.11-1284.

Ok, I also synced a book both ways from and to my Kobo AuraHD and the Galaxy S7.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-04-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
dannotdan

Ken, you are right. My mistake and the registration worked this time. I'll update my other devices in a few hours and confirm the actual synchronization.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
dannotdan

And it works. Thank you for the fix, Frenzie! (And thanks to Ken for staying polite when you corrected me.)

Tags
progress sync, sync, syncing