Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2016, 04:11 AM   #121
had
had began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd, aura h20, elipsa 2e
Wouldn't it be better to just power-off if the user leaves the device at the KSM menu for 10 minutes?

If there is no reader currently running, I don't see a benefit to sleeping. KSM comes back almost instantly after power-on anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glukkkk View Post
Maybe write a script that will be KSM switched to nickel after 5 ... 10 minutes of inaction?
Then you can use a standard automatic sleep / shutdown nickel ...
had is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:50 AM   #122
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by had View Post
Thanks Ken and tshering,

I will add this to the script that starts syncthing, as it always needs write access to the external sd.
There is some concern at the project on Github with doing the r/w remount and not checking if an external uSD card is available. It is no problem for me as I leave the card in the device.

I just tried taking the card out before starting the device and I had no problem except that the File Manager opened up in the Internal uSD card, of course. I powered off and reinserted the External uSD card and started up again and all is normal with the card mounted r/w.

It might be nice if when it couldn't mount it r/w, that a message to that effect popped up, but if I start KOReader and it opens in the internal uSD card instead of in the book I am reading, the external uSD card would be the first thing I would check anyway.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #123
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Maybe there was already some discussion about this. Is there any reason that speaks against making usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd mount the sd read/write instead of read?

If somebody does this, take the usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd that shipped with KSM, rather than the one you can find in Kobo firmware update files.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #124
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Maybe there was already some discussion about this. Is there any reason that speaks against making usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd mount the sd read/write instead of read?

If somebody does this, take the usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd that shipped with KSM, rather than the one you can find in Kobo firmware update files.
So change the mount -r to mount -w, or should we add "rw" to "MOUNTARGS"

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #125
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
So change the mount -r to mount -w, or should we add "rw" to "MOUNTARGS"

Luck;
Ken
I think, I would just remove the -r (that should have the same effect as replacing it by -w.).
Code:
mount -t vfat -o $MOUNTARGS $DEVNAME /mnt/sd

Last edited by tshering; 02-23-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Advert
Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #126
Glukkkk
Enthusiast
Glukkkk began at the beginning.

Device: Forma _ KSM-9 _ vlasovsoft
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by had View Post
Wouldn't it be better to just power-off if the user leaves the device at the KSM menu for 10 minutes?
The script for transition in the nickel already have.
When you turn on automatically after n seconds, the transition to nickel.
If we add a script to move to the nickel at user inactivity it will be great.
If a more reliable option is off the books when idle user n-seconds ... This option is also a good ...
Glukkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #127
Ken Maltby
Wizard

As to remounting the external uSD card R/W, KOReader should have this, within a few builds. Then KOReader on Kobos will start with the external uSD card mounted Read/Write, just as I have mine.
(You can add the part in the green area, if you can't wait.) (Just tried it on my AuraHD and it works.)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-25-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #128
ikkentobi
Enthusiast
ikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-books

Device: kobo h2o, kobo aura hd, onyx t68
Just upgraded from KSM version 4 to version 8 on the aura hd (together with version 2015.12 of coolreader), and I have to say it worked like a charm.

Thank you for your ongoing support, it is very appreciated!
ikkentobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #129
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkentobi View Post
Just upgraded from KSM version 4 to version 8 on the aura hd (together with version 2015.12 of coolreader), and I have to say it worked like a charm.

Thank you for your ongoing support, it is very appreciated!
Thank you for the feedback! I a surprised how long you stuck to KSM 4.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #130
ikkentobi
Enthusiast
ikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-books

Device: kobo h2o, kobo aura hd, onyx t68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you for the feedback! I a surprised how long you stuck to KSM 4.
The new version has a lot of nice features.
Most important for me: I can now turn it on with the light activated
But I still have to investigate some of the new stuff...

Best regards
Bernd
ikkentobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:29 AM   #131
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
quick question. how do i properly uninstall KSM8 if i wanted to do so? i know that i can configure it so that it would boot to nickel every time. but if i really wanted to uninstall fully and properly, i don't suppose i can just delete the .adds directory, can i?

apologies. found it:
select in KSM "tools" > "ksm diverse.msh" > "del KSM.sh" > "delete ksm"
the device will restart with nickel running
delete the folder kbmenupngs

Last edited by rem736; 03-27-2016 at 01:39 AM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #132
nyucto
nyucto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thank you for KSM 8! Is there a way to set the frontlight to a certain value automatically everytime on start-up?
nyucto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 AM   #133
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyucto View Post
Thank you for KSM 8! Is there a way to set the frontlight to a certain value automatically everytime on start-up?
Have a look at "configure". In the section [general] you can set the intensity of the front light, for instance,
Code:
frontlightOnLevel=4
and to have the light on at start
Code:
startwithlighton=true
You can find information on "configure" in the KSM 7 thread. Be aware that the locations of files and directories have changed since then.

Last edited by tshering; 03-31-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #134
callodacity
callodacity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, just wondering if there is a way to manually uninstall KSM08 without navigating to tools ? I can't seem to complete a factory reset without uninstalling KSM.

My Kobo screen is broken and I can't navigate through the menus..

Any help would be extremely useful!
callodacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #135
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by callodacity View Post
Hi, just wondering if there is a way to manually uninstall KSM08 without navigating to tools ? I can't seem to complete a factory reset without uninstalling KSM.

My Kobo screen is broken and I can't navigate through the menus..

Any help would be extremely useful!
If you have a Kobo model with an external sd card, the way described in this thread might be the best in your situation. Read especially posts #1 and 9.

Edit: If the sole reason for factory resetting is that you want to remove your books and files containing private data, you might consider deleting them via a script. If you put a script on the root of the external sd with the name autoscript.sh, it will be executed after inserting the sd. The advantage of this approach is, that you then can still communicate with the device (via autoscript.sh), so that you can for instance start wifi or usbnet and then telnet into the device, if you want to.

Last edited by tshering; 04-01-2016 at 06:32 PM.