Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-17-2023, 06:22 AM   #1
skil-phil
Connoisseur
skil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle pw10
Kobo questions

I am considering getting a Libre 2 to supplement a kindle PW.
I cannot get one here so have to import through Amazon.
3 questions.
As all my books are on Calibre and I can sideload do I have to register the Nova with Kobo?
Is the standard viewer fine or is OKReader better?
Are the costly sleep covers worth it?
Thanks
Phil

Last edited by skil-phil; 11-17-2023 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Wrong device name
skil-phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:12 AM   #2
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
You are probably better off looking through the Kobo sub forums at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223 but
1. No you don't need to register (see forum and search for sideloadedmode);
2. try the standard reader and see if you like it - you will get tons of opinions but it is really what you like that matters;
3. Lots of people use the kwmobile sleep covers which are cheaper than the official Kobo one's and are reasonable quality.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have a Libra2 because I like (and probably need because of dexterity issues) buttons.
I use mine inverted (buttons on the right).
I bought mine from Walmart, but I had to get my cover (kwmobile ) on Amazon (I also use kwmobile cover on my Aura2.)

I do not use WiFi to transfer books from any other than the Kobo store (could not figure out how to download direct for other than Firmware).
Obook plugin is your friend for those
Kobo Utilities for Calibre to keep backups of the Kobo DB (and old Firmware, there have been need a couple of times )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:58 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
2. try the standard reader and see if you like it - you will get tons of opinions but it is really what you like that matters;
Seconding this. I used only the stock reader for the first 3 years of my Kobo experience, now I do 98% of my reading on KOReader. It's all about what works for you. Get used to the reader as is, and then if you do decide to try KOReader, it's very easy to install AND to uninstall if it's not for you.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:42 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
  1. You don't have to register with Kobo but I have seen no indications that Kobo is selling my email address in the last 13 years. Also note that Kobo does not check the email address for validity so, as an example, whoami@erewhon.net works.
  2. Personally, I use the standard renderers (Kobo has 2 renderers, RMSDK which is Adobe's and allows for reading Adobe ADEPT DRMmed ePubs while the other is WebKit based and has better ePub3 support) for 98% of my reading. I also have KOReader and Plato installed but only use them for some PDF files. Installing is easy and does not require any jailbreaking/rooting/other hoop jumping. A matter of personal choice.
  3. I use the Kobo covers mainly since they were the ones available as I tend to purchase a new Kobo ereader when it's on pre-order. I know people who have used other cases and while they have had a few issues such as mis-aligned sleep cover magnets, overall, they are decent quality.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 04:15 AM   #6
skil-phil
Connoisseur
skil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle pw10
Thanks all for the comments.
Think I will go ahead and buy.
Exchange rate (about 18:1) and shipping is a killer though.
Phil
skil-phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 12:28 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If you plan to sideload from Calibre, I would suggest trying out the standard driver and then KoboTouchExtended.

The later sends books to device as 'kepub,' which has some additional features (reading statistics, zoomable images).

Kobo Utilities is also recommended, if only to backup your database. Note that the original developer died a year or two back but MobileRead users occasionally contribute patches for bugs or new features.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skil-phil View Post
Thanks all for the comments.
Think I will go ahead and buy.
Exchange rate (about 18:1) and shipping is a killer though.
Phil
Just use a real email address. The email from Kobo can be useful. They do not sell your email address. Your privacy is safe with Kobo. You are at more risk of a privacy breach from your credit card company.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you plan to sideload from Calibre, I would suggest trying out the standard driver and then KoboTouchExtended.

The later sends books to device as 'kepub,' which has some additional features (reading statistics, zoomable images).

Kobo Utilities is also recommended, if only to backup your database. Note that the original developer died a year or two back but MobileRead users occasionally contribute patches for bugs or new features.
I'm setup to send ePub or KePub from calibre using the KoboTouchExtended driver.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote