Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Free Amazon Kindle in the future?

See this link:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-an...Tablet-506110/

From that link see this quote:

"It is more likely that Amazon will make the Kindle free to Amazon Prime subscribers and then make their money selling ebooks rather than introduce a full-featured tablet," Baker said. "They don't have an app store yet and admittedly that could change things, but for now I just don't think this makes sense."

It was stated in a discussion about whether Amazon would compete with Apple's iPad 2 bu Gartner analyst Van Baker.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Would be nice if that did apply in the future. I just bought my 1st Kindle on the 11th (waiting for it to arrive now). I had borrowed one through my local library (a kindle 2) and just couldn't hold off on buying one I could keep after that. lol. I don't know how long kindles last, but if they start offering them for free in the future it would be good so that a customer can easily replace their old unit when it wears out.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I would rather that Amazon charge for the Kindle. If they give it for free to Amazon Prime subscribers, the prime subscription price would increase to cover for the costs (I doubt books alone can cover the cost of a whole Kindle).

Many people would just subscribe once, then cancel. As such, loyal users would have to fork the bill for those temporary subscribers. The Kindle is a one-time fee (better), rather than a yearly payment. Unless, of course, you get a brand new Kindle every year q:
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't be so sure Kranu. We don't know what the actual cost of building a Kindle is rather than the sale price. You can't say if the amount they make on the sales of the books would cover the cost of the Kindle as yet. However if Amazon made them available free they would probably make customers sign an agreement commiting them to a certain number of books to buy before canceling. Would be interesting to see what that number of books is as that would help indicate the actual cost of the kindle is.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Don't be so sure Kranu. We don't know what the actual cost of building a Kindle is rather than the sale price. You can't say if the amount they make on the sales of the books would cover the cost of the Kindle as yet. However if Amazon made them available free they would probably make customers sign an agreement commiting them to a certain number of books to buy before canceling. Would be interesting to see what that number of books is as that would help indicate the actual cost of the kindle is.
What??? I didn't say they would. I'm just saying that the idea is impractical.
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Wait. What is Amazon Prime again?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
Wait. What is Amazon Prime again?
It's a premium service for Amazon. See the link below:

Amazon Prime
Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
It's a premium service for Amazon. See the link below:

Amazon Prime
at 80 bucks a year they better give out free kindles!
I'm in Canada anyway, so I know it is off-limits.
I never even bother trying to get anything from amazon anymore. I'll click through to order something then finally at the end of the process it'll say DENIED.
this is why my wish list is called 'things I can't buy from amazon'.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
at 80 bucks a year they better give out free kindles!
I'm in Canada anyway, so I know it is off-limits.
I never even bother trying to get anything from amazon anymore. I'll click through to order something then finally at the end of the process it'll say DENIED.
this is why my wish list is called 'things I can't buy from amazon'.
I think $80 bucks a year is too much for the current benefits, but not so much that you should get a free Kindle. If I could choose a reasonable price for it, I would set it to $40. Not only do your products come up to 3 business days sooner (up to 5 if you count weekends), but the shipping is FREE (no need to purchase $25 or more).

Plus, you can stream different TV shows and movies for free. If the library of streaming videos improves, I can see Amazon Prime surpassing Netflix.

The United States gets so many more opportunities (AFAIK) than other countries. The one hyped up thing that the U.S. does not have is Spotify.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Prime makes them a LOT of money. I have it and buy much more than I would otherwise, 2 to 3 items per week, many on "subscription". It makes Amazon the preferred retailer of the Prime purchaser, because one thinks, I can get this right away and I've got to take advantage of the Prime membership (yes I am aware how sheeplike I am).
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
I can get this right away and I've got to take advantage of the Prime membership (yes I am aware how sheeplike I am).
That makes two of us
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Three!
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Four!!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Five.

Baaahhh...
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
bZkindle
Fanatic

Is amazon prime really worth it in the UK or Australia?
It doesn't seem to be worth it in Canada.
Isn't shipping only within the continental US?