Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2021, 08:07 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Microsoft has already said they won't be upgrading computers with unsupported CPUs and quite a number of CPUs are considered unsupported for Windows 11. Basically everything older than 4 years.
There are really no "unsupported CPUs" except 32 bit. It's about the TPM, not which 64 bit CPU.
But the users can manually update them. Also you don't HAVE to use the nearly pointless TPM HW, which is why only some PCs will get automatic (=forced) updates. Win11 seems to be making mistakes of win8.x and removing even more user choice/configuration than Win10, which (esp Home Edition) is the worst for GUI and user configuration since Win 3.0 on Hercules.

On Vista you could turn off the junk. With Win ME on a new computer you could run Win98SE instead, if it was needed for games etc (assuming it wasn't for business which should NEVER have run Win9x, only NT 4.0 and then Win2K after Win3.x).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:49 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re Win 10 & 11 (read the comments)
https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/...1_iso_install/
https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/...user_feedback/
https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/16/windows_10_21h2/
Old 08-31-2021, 10:23 AM   #18
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There are really no "unsupported CPUs" except 32 bit. It's about the TPM, not which 64 bit CPU.
But the users can manually update them. Also you don't HAVE to use the nearly pointless TPM HW, which is why only some PCs will get automatic (=forced) updates. Win11 seems to be making mistakes of win8.x and removing even more user choice/configuration than Win10, which (esp Home Edition) is the worst for GUI and user configuration since Win 3.0 on Hercules.

On Vista you could turn off the junk. With Win ME on a new computer you could run Win98SE instead, if it was needed for games etc (assuming it wasn't for business which should NEVER have run Win9x, only NT 4.0 and then Win2K after Win3.x).
They have a literal list of supported CPUs for Windows 11. They have said recently they won't block people from installing it from an ISO on unsupported hardware but you risk getting no support. They also said they won't upgrade people that don't have supported hardware so it's not going to be like the Windows 10 upgrade where a bunch of systems get upgraded in the middle of the night against the wishs of the owners.

It's about more than the TPM. If just the TPM or TPM 2.0 was the requirement the list of supported CPUs would be much bigger and include CPUs like those based on AMD Zen 1.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-in...lth-check-app/
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #19
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
...and Microsoft delayed Android app support on Windows 11 into 2022...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #20
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You will have to upgrade to Windows 11 at some point.Microsoft will force you to do the upgrade eventually.
well, i disabled auto updates of Win10, so they can't force anything on me i don't agree to. i only do updates to patch security issues, other than that they can.. well. keep their updates. i'm sick of microsofts update politic. i lost so much work and data because of them, i just don't allow them anymore.

and since i don't really use the Microsoft Store or Microsoft Apps like Email, Document Editor Software etc from them.. they can't force me to upgrade. I use open source and thirdparty software who even still support Windows Vista if you really want to.. so i don't really have much of an intention to upgrade anytime soon. And if i have to, then i will only do it because i need to buy a new computer that then maybe has Win11 pre-installed. if not, i gonna switch to Linux. it's not that big of an issue for me. i already worked with linux in the past so it's not that big of an deal in the worst case scenario.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #21
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Agreed. I did the same. The Windows update process has been horrible since at least 7. I had to hack it to stop just to make Windows usable.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:02 PM   #22
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Windows 11 will be able to sideload apps. We don't know how that will be done exactly yet.
Thanks. This is the only appeal I can see in 11 at the moment. But it's not that much an appeal, but that might change. But I don't like updating too sign. I let others jump in front of that bus.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never had any issues with Windows updates and I never lost anything because of them. They do give you a warning that a restart is imminent. Enough time to save what's important.

I'm going to update one of my laptops to Windows 11 when it becomes available to the general public. If there are no big drawbacks, I'll update the others as well. All my current devices (4 of them) are eligible.

Windows has its faults, but I've never had any serious trouble with it and so feel no urge to change to something else.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:56 AM   #24
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Doesn't really matter what OS you're using when Amazon disables the older versions of their app.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:29 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Doesn't really matter what OS you're using when Amazon disables the older versions of their app.
Even a dead kindle registered to your Kindle Account is more use!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm going to update one of my laptops to Windows 11 when it becomes available to the general public. If there are no big drawbacks, I'll update the others as well. All my current devices (4 of them) are eligible.

Windows has its faults, but I've never had any serious trouble with it and so feel no urge to change to something else.
I updated my Surface Pro 5 to the Windows 11 beta. So far, no complaints. The older Amazon Kindle for PC continues to work.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I updated my Surface Pro 5 to the Windows 11 beta. So far, no complaints. The older Amazon Kindle for PC continues to work.
That's good to know. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:16 AM   #28
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never had any issues with Windows updates and I never lost anything because of them. They do give you a warning that a restart is imminent. Enough time to save what's important.

yeaahhhhh uhhmm... for me and a lot of other people, they didn't.
i did work on sourcecode for software i did write or something else, and suddenly.. all programms killed themself and windows rebooted without any warning or question if its okay right now to do so. then after the reboot the update windows was visible and it did update. because of this i lost so many data.. it sucked a lot. i never had this issue with any previoud windows version.. but since windows 10 has this horrible auto updates.. it is a nightmare.

it happend so many times that i got sick of it.
i mean hey - if it works for you thats great. but for me and many other people it didn't.
and it wasn't a issue because of software i had installed or similiar stuff since it was a complete new install of windows 10 on a brand new laptop. my family also uses win10 and had similiar issues. random forced reboots to update without any warning or chance to cancel the reboot.. even if you configurate it to don't update at specific times.. it just does what it wants.

Last edited by Kusuri; 09-03-2021 at 04:18 AM.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
yeaahhhhh uhhmm... for me and a lot of other people, they didn't.
i did work on sourcecode for software i did write or something else, and suddenly.. all programms killed themself and windows rebooted without any warning or question if its okay right now to do so. then after the reboot the update windows was visible and it did update. because of this i lost so many data.. it sucked a lot. i never had this issue with any previoud windows version.. but since windows 10 has this horrible auto updates.. it is a nightmare.

it happend so many times that i got sick of it.
i mean hey - if it works for you thats great. but for me and many other people it didn't.
and it wasn't a issue because of software i had installed or similiar stuff since it was a complete new install of windows 10 on a brand new laptop. my family also uses win10 and had similiar issues. random forced reboots to update without any warning or chance to cancel the reboot.. even if you configurate it to don't update at specific times.. it just does what it wants.
That's weird. I have Windows 10 currently on four devices and none of them has just rebooted without any warning. Possibly some people have turned the notification about rebooting off in the settings and don't remember afterwards that they did so. No idea.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For me, windows 10 could be more informative during an update, especialy with new computers. How long do you wait before an update has failed? 1 minute, 10, 30, 1 hour, 2, 3?

And always have a message on the screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote