Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was thinking along similar Indiana Jones-esque lines. I found this font. It's free, though not for commercial use. You may have to contact the designer for that.
Yes, I'd considered that--I have it at my shop, although I don't recall the pricing for commercial--but I thought that the other was a bit closer to the 30's serials he'd mentioned. But either would be EXCELLENT, in my humble opinion.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #32
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'll try a few of your ideas and get back to you. You guys are really helping me develop the visual language for the series and I appreciate that a lot.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #33
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay. I followed advice for fonts and here is the final cover plus the cover for the second volume. I really think it's got that retro aesthetic now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AGOTFinalCover600.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	155695   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirPiratesFinalCover600.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	155696  
Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Okay. I followed advice for fonts and here is the final cover plus the cover for the second volume. I really think it's got that retro aesthetic now.
Ahhhh....that's the SF Fedora, yes? I rather like that. I think you're doing a nice job with these, Lemurion, and I'm glad that you've brought the branding along as you have. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I VERY MUCH like covers in a series (as is yours) when they share common design elements.

I like these a lot.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #36
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Both of the covers in #33 are winners in my opinion. The font is awesome.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Not just 1...
But 2 winners
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #38
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ahhhh....that's the SF Fedora, yes? I rather like that. I think you're doing a nice job with these, Lemurion, and I'm glad that you've brought the branding along as you have. :-)

Hitch
Yes, I followed your font advice and I think it works really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I VERY MUCH like covers in a series (as is yours) when they share common design elements.

I like these a lot.

That was one reason why I was so picky with the original cover, getting a bunch of different treatments. I wasn't just getting a cover; I wanted to come up with a design theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Bean View Post
Both of the covers in #33 are winners in my opinion. The font is awesome.
Glad you like it.

I just want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's made my covers look much better.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 AM   #39
Jack Brewhouse
Jack Brewhouse began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's pretty good. The only thing I'd change is a flare or shadow behind the title. It would evoke the style of old 50s movie posters a little more and it just seems a little flat right now.
Jack Brewhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #40
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I like them.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
The covers have come along very nicely. Those are books I would buy.

you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but with indie books, it at least shows that the author took their book seriously enough to take care of the details.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 AM   #42
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but with indie books, it at least shows that the author took their book seriously enough to take care of the details.
I would like to chime in on that sentiment, as well.

When I see these covers, I want to buy them and read them.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:02 AM   #43
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Ditto. When I see a terrible cover on an indie book, I also assume that the book hasn't been properly edited or proofed, and I just click on by.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I too like both of the new covers.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #45
Lemurion
eReader

I just want to say thanks to everyone for all the help, advice, and support. I'm planning to put these two up in April and May and have a third in the pipeline for June.