Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question View mobi with Kindle Previewer

I 've searched and cannot figure out how to do this but is there a way I can set Calibre to view mobi files with Kindle Previewer instead of the built-in viewer?
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Preferences - Behavior - uncheck the kindle files in the Use Internal Viewer for section
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the Kindle Previewer app gives the error message:
The document "The Canterville Ghost - Oscar Wilde.mobi" could not be opened. java cannot open files of this type.
But it will open them if I go to "File > Open". I suppose it's cause it's a java app and not a real app.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Thanks!

Unfortunately the Kindle Previewer app gives the error message:
The document "The Canterville Ghost - Oscar Wilde.mobi" could not be opened. java cannot open files of this type.
But it will open them if I go to "File > Open". I suppose it's cause it's a java app and not a real app.

What kindle previewer are you referring to??
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
just_jeepin
Addict

The one available at http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Oh, sorry I have no experience with that so I am not sure why it is not working. Maybe because it is expecting a azw or tpz book.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
It works for me on Windows.

You must be using:

Windows (I don't know whether you can get this to work on MacOS)
Kindle Previewer v1.6 (or newer, though 1.6 is the newest at present)

and you must associate Previewer with all of the appropriate file extensions, MOBI, AZW, & PRC. Also, I don't believe Previewer will open DRM protected AZW files.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
just_jeepin
Addict

I emailed Amazon about it and they said you can't double click on a mobi file for a Mac. You must go to File>Open to open a mobi file.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I emailed Amazon about it and they said you can't double click on a mobi file for a Mac. You must go to File>Open to open a mobi file.
Or just drag and drop. I find that to be easier.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
RecQuery
RecQuery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I run Linux but from supporting OSX users, the way to do it is:
  1. Ctrl+Click or Right-click the Mobi file and select 'Get Info'
  2. In the 'Open With' section, select the application, you might to select other and browse for executable.
  3. Press the 'Change All' button.
BTW you can double-click in OSX
RecQuery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
just_jeepin
Addict

@RecQuery I've done Mac tech support for almost 20 years so I know about the double clicking and I've tried the 'open with' trick and it still won't open. The ONLY way Kindle Previewer will open a mobi on a Mac is by going the file>open route. I'm disappointed that Amazon would create the app in a half-a*@ way but at least we have it.