Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
The problem with Obama's campaign promises is that people believed them. You should never do that with a politician, no matter what the party. Even for the percentage of promises they actually meant to keep (however small) they will never know how difficult they might be to keep until they are actually in office and know the "lay of the land" (cue Clinton joke.)

Myself, (and I'm sure a few list members are going to love this) I wanted Hillary for president because I wanted Bill back in the office (even if just as "First Lady.")
I also wanted Hillary but for her own qualifications (not that I have any problem with Bill's). It's a pity it didn't work out that way.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Of course civilian leaders who have never served will ask Generals for advice. At least he is asking, instead of knowing nothing about troop deployment. Even Ike asked for advice after he became President as things had rapidly changed after he retired form the military.

As for President Obama being on Mythbusters, he has allready said he didn't get to blow anything up.

Oh, and it was President Bush that put the US in such huge debt by bailing out Wall Street.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I also wanted Hillary but for her own qualifications (not that I have any problem with Bill's). It's a pity it didn't work out that way.
No intention to downplay her qualifications-- I just considered them pretty much a "package deal" during Bill's terms, and would still have considered them the same if she had won, just with the "official" one flipped.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
..... If you really think things are better, you have your head in the sand....
Thanks for the respect of my opinions. Yes things ARE better, FAR BETTER than the point when Obama took office.

Guess I shoulda stuck a "SERIOUS" tag on this, but I had no idea it was going to bring 'em out of the woodwork.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #20
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well certainly some are, many others are very pleased with where we are. I'm one of them.

I'm tired of people expecting a free ride and government to take care of everything. It's time to get things under control, under control of the people, not the corporations.

Oh and he's right, btw.
See, we can agree on something.

I definately prefer Obama over Bush. Particularly the second Bush.
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #21
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebill View Post
...Oh, and it was President Bush that put the US in such huge debt by bailing out Wall Street.
Hunh?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
See, we can agree on something.

I definately prefer Obama over Bush. Particularly the second Bush.
Of course! and Lady Fitz and I agree on some things as well. Not this one apparently.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #23
kennyc

And the Wall Street Bailout (which I do not agree with) was peanuts compared to what we've spent in Iraq and Afghanistan which were inherited by Obama through no fault of his own.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #24
Joebill
Fanatic

Quote:
Hunh?
Over a trillion dollars worth. Obama had nothing to do with the big dump of cash into Wall Street, that was a Bush Junior special deal in the few months he had left in office.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #25
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

I'll grant that Obama is an improvement over Bush II (which isn't saying much).

It's one thing to to get advice from your underlings, especially when they know more about something than you do. It's another when they boss you around. Obama simply is not in control.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #26
Joebill
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Reminds me of an opening skit on SNL - where the actor portraying Obama listed the major promises made during his campaign - and after each one said "Nope, not done either!"
That is Mythbusting!
I prefer to ignore campaign promisies made by politicians. Lets me sleep at night to.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #27
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
I prefer to ignore campaign promisies made by politicians. Lets me sleep at night to.
Then what criteria do we have to judge them on when choosing?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #28
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks for the respect of my opinions. Yes things ARE better, FAR BETTER than the point when Obama took office.
Unemployment rates, at least, don't bear that out.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...rate&tdim=true

I see that your state of Colorado has a bit less than national average and mine (South Carolina) has a bit higher than average, but for both unemployment now is higher than it was in November 2008.

Do I blame that on Obama or Bush? Nope. We are in the midst of another fundamental sift in the structure of the job market-- much like there was with the industrial revolution-- and nobody's going to stop it. But still-- it is hard to say that things are "better."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #29
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:

I see that your state of Colorado has a bit less than national average and mine (South Carolina) has a bit higher than average, but for both unemployment now is higher than it was in November 2008.

Do I blame that on Obama or Bush? Nope. We are in the midst of another fundamental sift in the structure of the job market-- much like there was with the industrial revolution-- and nobody's going to stop it. But still-- it is hard to say that things are "better."
What is that fundamental shift and what caused it? (I'm not trying to be a "sagacious donkey;" I'm really curious).
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #30
kennyc

Quote:

True, but you're right in that the president alone doesn't bear responsibility for that -- I blame the Wall Street mess which he has worked diligently (even if I don't agree with the details) to get under control as well as working to address the unemployment which I believe would be much worse without the action that have been taken.