Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
bokolobs
Enthusiast
bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: NST, DX, PW1, Voyage, Oasis (1 week), Kobo Aura One (1 week)
New highlighting feature not appearing in one of two Voyages

Hi guys! I just want to ask for a bit of help about highlighting in Kindle Voyage. So we have two of them. Both have 5.11.1.1 installed. However, one of them still has the old way of highlighting text where the text is greyed. While the other has the new way with the underline. I've tried manually reinstalling the firmware and I did probably 10 restarts while connected to the internet. Still no good. Do you know how can I get this underline highlighting in the other Voyage? Thanks in advance!

Kindle Voyage highlighting

Last edited by bokolobs; 05-19-2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Inserting image
bokolobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #2
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have the same problem, my voyage is on 5.11.1.1 and I've restarted multiple times but it still doesn't have the new highlighting...
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
My Voyage is also on 5.11.1.1 and the highlighted text is gray. I looked to see whether there is an option to switch to underlining, but I can't find one.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
My Voyage is also on 5.11.1.1 and the highlighted text is gray. I looked to see whether there is an option to switch to underlining, but I can't find one.
Yeah...I have a lot of Kindles, and the highlighted text on all of them is gray. I keep checking every few days to see if it changes to underline, but it hasn't yet.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps Amazon are rolling out this new feature on a per device basis, as they did for filtering on read status?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2019, 03:32 AM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps Amazon are rolling out this new feature on a per device basis, as they did for filtering on read status?
Does the read status show up and not show up for certain Kindles? My Oasis 2 updated yesterday to 5.11.1.1 and it has gray highlights and read status.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:53 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Does the read status show up and not show up for certain Kindles?
That's correct. Support for it was added in a firmware update, but then the feature itself was (and perhaps still is) remotely enabled by Amazon "per device" over a period of several months.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-28-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #8
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
I thought this feature was on my Voyage but when I went to highlight about a week ago, it was that old grey bar. Must have confused my basic Kindle 8th Gen, which definitely underlines, with it. But just a few days ago I turned on my wifi to sync and check out the store and lo and behold the next time I highlighted, and probably after putting it in sleep mode, it was highlighting the new way.

I much prefer the underline, it makes it easier to read what I'm highlighting.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
But just a few days ago I turned on my wifi to sync and check out the store and lo and behold the next time I highlighted, and probably after putting it in sleep mode, it was highlighting the new way.
That would seem to support my hypothesis that it's something that's being remotely enabled by Amazon on a "per device" basis.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
The underlining shows only while you are defining the highlight. Once defined, highlights appear the same as they always have (well except for Kindle 1).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
On my PW4s it shows up in inverted type--white on black--as I highlight and then goes to gray. I'm not sure I care whether it does that or underlines. Pretty much the same for me.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
All 3 of my Voyages have the new highlighting as does the PW3. Basic 7 as well. Basic 8 hasn't come home yet (lent it out for the long weekend).

We are talking about the underlining while selecting right? Because this Basic 7 has been on Airplane for at least a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Tarana; 05-28-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:47 AM   #13
bokolobs
Enthusiast
bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: NST, DX, PW1, Voyage, Oasis (1 week), Kobo Aura One (1 week)
Thanks for your replies! I think it's safe to say Amazon is rolling this out per device as stated by someone above.
bokolobs is offline   Reply With Quote