Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 04:49 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Checking For Indexing

How do I check for indexing on a Kindle Paperwhite with firmware 5.9.7.?

With older firmware I just set the search for "All Text" then typed random letters into search, but I no longer have the "All Text" option. Instead, if I hit the magnifying glass symbol a search box appears with my recent searches; if I type something like sdfgh, then just underneath it are the words "There are no results found in your library or in the store" (I'm in airplane mode) and an option to "Search Everywhere for "sdfgh". If I hit the latter, this just comes up with "There are no results" but I'm fairly sure something is indexing.

Does the indexing check work differently now? Since updating the firmware, I haven't had a successful indexing check.

How do I check if a book is stuck?

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If there are no results, all books have completed indexing. It works the same on my Oasis.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
If there are no results, all books have completed indexing. It works the same on my Oasis.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you do the search, if the “Text in Books” tab of the search results page isn’t greyed out, tap it, and that’s where you’ll find the indexing information. If it is greyed out, indexing is complete.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J

"Text in Books" doesn't seem to exist anymore apart from as an option to "Search inside this book" when actually reading a book. It's not on the Home page.
Advert
Old 05-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
"Text in Books" doesn't seem to exist anymore apart from as an option to "Search inside this book" when actually reading a book. It's not on the Home page.
Please explain. Are you saying there is no Text in Books category in search results when you search for something from Home page? The categories should be:

- My Items
- Kindle Store
- Goodreads
- Text in Books
- Dictionary
- Wikipedia

Text in Books may show no results, depending on the search term used, but it is always there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I disagree. I had a new-to-me Voyage which I loaded with over 1000 ebooks. Clearly, by the battery drain, it was indexing (as it stopped after 3 days), but the typical search to check on indexing did not work. So either it is done a different way or your ability to check that issue has been taken out.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I disagree. I had a new-to-me Voyage which I loaded with over 1000 ebooks. Clearly, by the battery drain, it was indexing (as it stopped after 3 days), but the typical search to check on indexing did not work. So either it is done a different way or your ability to check that issue has been taken out.
That's really bad news. How will we know when something is stuck indexing if we cannot search for it?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The search for indexing is still working on my Oasis with the firmware 5.10.2. So there must be something else going on.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Odd, it worked for me just now on my PW4 with firmware 5.11.1

Searched from the home page for a nonsense string.
Got the results page (as described by tomsem earlier in post 6)
Tapped "Text in Books" and it showed "Items Not Yet Indexed (1)"
Tapped that and it listed the book.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The search for indexing is still working on my Oasis with the firmware 5.10.2. So there must be something else going on.
Latest available firmware is 5.11.x. I'll check this out on my 5.11 Kindle when I get home.

Edit: Whoops. Didn't read the OP so didn't notice 5.9.7.

Anyway, it shows up on all the firmware I'm running (5.8.11, 5.9.6.1, 5.10.1.3, 5.11.1.1). I seem to recall noticing a delay in showing the "Text in Books" line when a lot of books have just been added to the device (although I can't recall if that only happened on a brand new/recently reset Kindle).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-16-2019 at 07:18 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Latest available firmware is 5.11.x. I'll check this out on my 5.11 Kindle when I get home.

Edit: Whoops. Didn't read the OP so didn't notice 5.9.7.

Anyway, it shows up on all the firmware I'm running (5.8.11, 5.9.6.1, 5.10.1.3, 5.11.1.1). I seem to recall noticing a delay in showing the "Text in Books" line when a lot of books have just been added to the device (although I can't recall if that only happened on a brand new/recently reset Kindle).
Yep. I just updated all my three Kindles (Voyage and two Oases) to the latest firmware. The text in books option is present on all of them.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Please explain. Are you saying there is no Text in Books category in search results when you search for something from Home page? The categories should be:

- My Items
- Kindle Store
- Goodreads
- Text in Books
- Dictionary
- Wikipedia

Text in Books may show no results, depending on the search term used, but it is always there.
These options only come up on the results page, not in the search page. When initially searching (just after touching the magnifying glass) I just get a box at the top of which is a faded "Search Everywhere" which is where the search terms go, underneath this is a list of recent searches I've done. At the bottom of the 'page' there's the keyboard, but no specific search types.

After tapping "Search Everywhere" I'm sent to a page where there's 'My Items' (greyed out) covered by a banner saying "There are no results". Below this is a greyed out 'Kindle Store' (but I'm always in airplane mode) covered by the same banner.
Under this there's a list:
Goodreads
Text in Books (grey)
Dictionary
Wikipedia (I can't access this because no wifi)

Perhaps, if a book were still indexing, there would be something under Text in Books.
On the older firmware, there was a drop down option to search "All Text" which was simpler to use to check for indexing. Not sure how it's done now.

I don't want to update the firmware because the version I have does everything I want it to, apart from a simple indexing check.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:20 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
These options only come up on the results page, not in the search page. When initially searching (just after touching the magnifying glass) I just get a box at the top of which is a faded "Search Everywhere" which is where the search terms go, underneath this is a list of recent searches I've done. At the bottom of the 'page' there's the keyboard, but no specific search types.

After tapping "Search Everywhere" I'm sent to a page where there's 'My Items' (greyed out) covered by a banner saying "There are no results". Below this is a greyed out 'Kindle Store' (but I'm always in airplane mode) covered by the same banner.
Under this there's a list:
Goodreads
Text in Books (grey)
Dictionary
Wikipedia (I can't access this because no wifi)

Perhaps, if a book were still indexing, there would be something under Text in Books.
On the older firmware, there was a drop down option to search "All Text" which was simpler to use to check for indexing. Not sure how it's done now.

I don't want to update the firmware because the version I have does everything I want it to, apart from a simple indexing check.
Yes, Text in Books is grey if nothing is indexing. If something is still indexing, it will be black and you can tap on it to see which books are not yet indexed.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:32 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J

I've just realised that you're all mentioning the "results"! Some days I can be really dim!

I was so used to the All Text option being available for the actual search, my mind seemed to focus on that!

Silly me!

Thanks so much for the help. I'll take more notice of that item in the search results next time.

Sirtel, didn't see your post before writing this. Thanks.

Last edited by BookCat; 05-17-2019 at 02:35 AM.

Tags
firmware 5.9.7., indexing