Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
pdeep
pdeep began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Crash in Windows 10

I just installed Calibre on my Windows 10 laptop. I can't get it to run. It crashes as soon as it launches. I tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions with the same results. Help please! I run Calibre on my Mac and find it hard to live without.
pdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yoy may have something corrupt is the configuration folder.
Since this is a new install.
1) Uninstall Calibre
2) delete the configuration folder (red) it usually is here (it may be hidden):
C:\Users\<logon name>\AppData\Roaming\calibre
Then reinstall Calibre.

BTW don't put the Library on a Cloud drive (backing up to the cloud, NOT Google drive) is OK when calibre is NOT running)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeep View Post
I just installed Calibre on my Windows 10 laptop. I can't get it to run. It crashes as soon as it launches. I tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions with the same results. Help please! I run Calibre on my Mac and find it hard to live without.
Does it 'crash' with a message? Do you see the calibre startup splash?

If it's a calibre message you will have a copy to clipboard button, which you can post here, if its a popup message from Windows, post it as a screen shot.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
pdeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Does it 'crash' with a message? Do you see the calibre startup splash?

If it's a calibre message you will have a copy to clipboard button, which you can post here, if its a popup message from Windows, post it as a screen shot.

BR
The startup splash loads but as soon as the main windows loads, it crashes within a second or two, if that long. There are no messages from Calibre or Windows. It just crashes and that's that.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
pdeep

What happened was I had reset my computer with a new Windows 10 system. My Calibre library was on the D drive, untouched. So I pointed the new installation of Calibre at this folder. That apparently was causing the crash. I pointed it to a different, empty folder and am now importing the original Calibre library. Pointing Calibre to an existing library works fine on the Mac. Windows is a different story apparently. Thanks for your help everyone.
Advert
Old 04-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What happened was I had reset my computer with a new Windows 10 system. My Calibre library was on the D drive, untouched. So I pointed the new installation of Calibre at this folder. That apparently was causing the crash. I pointed it to a different, empty folder and am now importing the original Calibre library. Pointing Calibre to an existing library works fine on the Mac. Windows is a different story apparently. Thanks for your help everyone.
Pointing calibre at an existing library on Windows 10 works fine, I do it often.

Where was the original library located ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have Libraries on 2 different drives, and sometimes I use a 3rd on a USB HD (passport drive). Calibre does not care as long as it is Local Attached.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...s-occasionally
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
pdeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Pointing calibre at an existing library on Windows 10 works fine, I do it often.

Where was the original library located ?

BR
It was in my OneDrive folder and even though I had it set to always be available locally, there were two book covers that were having permission problems and weren’t downloaded completely. I discovered this when I tried to copy the books over to another folder. Apparently those corrupted files were causing the crashes. Once I fixed them, everything worked great and my Calibre library stays current on my Macs and Windows computers by being stored on OneDrive. The corrupted files didn’t bother Calibre on the Mac but sure did on Windows. I believe the reason is the files were not corrupt locally on the Mac but became corrupted when uploaded. I’m happy it’s all resolved.

Even though this fix wasn’t mentioned specifically by the people in this group, the fix came around by reading the suggestions here, so I’m grateful for the help I received. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It was in my OneDrive folder and even though I had it set to always be available locally, there were two book covers that were having permission problems and weren’t downloaded completely. I discovered this when I tried to copy the books over to another folder. Apparently those corrupted files were causing the crashes. Once I fixed them, everything worked great and my Calibre library stays current on my Macs and Windows computers by being stored on OneDrive. The corrupted files didn’t bother Calibre on the Mac but sure did on Windows. I believe the reason is the files were not corrupt locally on the Mac but became corrupted when uploaded. I’m happy it’s all resolved.

Even though this fix wasn’t mentioned specifically by the people in this group, the fix came around by reading the suggestions here, so I’m grateful for the help I received. Thanks everyone.
Be careful with OneDrive. I used it once, but switched to Dropbox because OneDrive started to delete random books apparently of its own accord (I always paused syncing when Calibre was open, but even so). Run Library Maintenance regularly and always pause syncing while Calibre is open.

Of course it's entirely possible that you already know all this.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, install application, windows 10