Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #16
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
I've done quick test on my PW3 (so, not the same device I know) with firmware 5.9.7 (originally jailbroken while on fw 5.6.5, RP + CRP installed at the same time ; newer versions RP & CRP bin installers downloaded and installed sometimes in last 2 months).
Thank you. My jailbreaked device was running on firmware 5.10.3 that has a newer diags menu, which doesn't bear any importance at the moment.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #17
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So use the serial port.
I didn't have the slightest idea how to until today. @noismaster's "Kindle Voyage 5.6.2.1 Serial Jailbreak Step-by-Step" seems to be good guide: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3137590

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Follow the directions for using pins (no hot solder solution) since you will only need the serial port long enough to type a couple of commands.
As in detailed in @DennisH's guide? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3205506

I don't have the necessary tools to give it a try. I believe we suppose that I can get access to the command line on the device if I can manage to connect on the serial port.
Advert
Old 04-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #18
radualexandru
radualexandru began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Hello,

I think my problem is related to what is happening in this thread.
I have a kindle DX, with the firmware 2.5.8. I have tried to eable DIAGS mode and I am stuck with a message on the screen so I cannot use my kindle anymore. (see photo with the link)
It says press X to exit, but it just restarts and comes back to the same.

Some help, please...
(Maybe the solution is already in the thread, but I am a newbie in this, so I didn't hurry to suppose.)

Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7s...vRDlLaFdR/view

Last edited by radualexandru; 04-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.
radualexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No, completely unrelated. A DX is not a Voyage.

I don't even recall how diags is supposed to behave on a DX. Are you sure this thing was never mangled with a FW 3.x FW?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #20
radualexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No, completely unrelated. A DX is not a Voyage.

I don't even recall how diags is supposed to behave on a DX. Are you sure this thing was never mangled with a FW 3.x FW?
Thank you for reply. I don't know what FW 3.x FW is. I bought it second hand and it is a demo only version. Before this Diags event happened I restored it to factory settings. If this is relevant.
Advert
Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
So you basically have no idea what might have been done to it. Yeaaaah, I wouldn't get my hopes up .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by radualexandru View Post
Thank you for reply. I don't know what FW 3.x FW is. I bought it second hand and it is a demo only version. Before this Diags event happened I restored it to factory settings. If this is relevant.
It is relevant.
IIRC, the on-device firmware is not complete enough to "restore to factory settings" when in "Demo Mode" (on a series 2.x device (your post) where a series 5.x device (thread title) will download the missing files).

It would be best if you followed the posted directions to exit from "Demo Mode" first, before doing anything else.

You may have to do full text searches of all posts in "Demo Mode" related threads, since the person who posted the information may have posted it in a thread titled for an entirely different device.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #23
radualexandru

Hi,

The person who gave it to me said it is not in demo mode, it should work like any KDXG. Also, 2 years ago I remember connecting it to the computer as a monitor (with the whole procedure).
Another thing, I have seen today it is recognised by Windows as a device but I cannot access the files.

Help, please...
Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #24
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Following up for future reference: Serial connection on Kindle Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oumlaut View Post
Having spent quite some time on the forum, I began to suspect that KV is stuck in fastboot mode.
Just as I have suspected, my Kindle Voyage was in fastboot mode.

Code:
[  312.807008] usb 2-2-2: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
og@ubuntu:~$ sudo minicom

Welcome to minicom 2.7.1

OPTIONS: I18n
Compiled on Aug 13 2017, 15:25:34.
Port /dev/ttyUSB0, 00:29:21

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

����Battery voltage: 3806 mV
Battery voltage: 3803 mV
HW

U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Dec 04 2018 - 17:09:30)

CPU: Freescale i.MX6 family TO0.0 at 996 MHz

[...]

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Quick Memory Tes 0x800000000, 0x1fff0000
POST done in 111 ms
BOOTMODE OVERRIDE: FASTBOOT
Battery voltage: 3794 mV

check_haptic: ID = 0x07
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
uboot>
Running the proper command took me directly back to System Diags on the Kindle.

Code:
uboot> bootm 0xE41000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80800000 ...
   Image Name: Linux-3.0.35-lab126
The rest was easy as should be. First:

Code:
(o)-Reboot or Disable Diags
Then:

Code:
(EXIT DISABLE)-Disable Diagnostics
I couldn't get Prolific's PL2303 driver to work on macOS Mojave Version 10.14.4. Otherwise, minicom is available for macOS via Homebrew. Thus, I opted for an Ubuntu 64-bit 18.04.2 VMware virtual machine. All necessary information for minicom setup and the rest is already provided by @noismaster on the related thread.

I used an inexpensive 1.8V USB to TTL Serial Cable, three extensions, three crocodiles, two pins, and quite an unsophisticated modus operandi. See the attached thumbnail.

Further notes: Jailbreak survives the most recent firmware, 5.11.1.1. I have updated all the hacks from @NiLuJe's snapshots. KUAL should be installed via ;log mrpi, though. KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 doesn't seem to work.

A final note: If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Serial.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	171483  

Last edited by oumlaut; 05-17-2019 at 07:13 AM.