Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #46
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was feeling nostalgic and recently purchased Martin Pippin in the Daisy-Field by Eleanor Farjeon. I was enchanted by this book as a child when I discovered an old hardback edition in my mother's bookcase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKOC01O/
Quote:
Wandering minstrel, Martin Pippin, encounters six little girls on his travels - who beg him to tell them stories. This he does whilst they are making daisy chains, and so his wonderful tales of magicians, mermaids, pirates and pigs are here-recounted. The collection includes one of Farjeon's most famous and charming stories, 'Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep. This classic, magical collection will be loved by adults and children alike - perfect for bedtime reading.

Eleanor Farjeon (1881-1965) was a British author of children's stories and plays, poetry, biography, history and satire. She lived much of her life among the literary and theatrical circles of London, and her friends included D. H. Lawrence, Walter de la Mare and Robert Frost. She won many literary awards, and the prestigious Eleanor Farjeon Award for children's literature is presented annually in her memory by the Children's Book Circle.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was feeling nostalgic and recently purchased Martin Pippin in the Daisy-Field by Eleanor Farjeon. I was enchanted by this book as a child when I discovered an old hardback edition in my mother's bookcase.
Oh, what a lovely book. It reminds me of another pleasure of kidlit, the window into the past. Not so much as with the classics such as Alcott, but the typical stories children of another read. In my house, we had an anthology of stories from the old St. Nicholas magazine and they fascinated me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
For me it evokes the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton. I used to sit enraptured as our teacher read these to us in our down time, which probably fuelled my love of reading. They weren't all based in the summer, but that's the enduring memory I have of these wonderful stories.
The Five books and the ones I mentioned encapsulate the particular charm of summer kids books in that they're about children in charge of their own lives. Unlike the school books where operating under regimentation was the norm, summer gave the kids agency. I think that's part of summer's appeal to me still, that lingering sense of being able to kick over the traces - or maybe of time suspended for a little while.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Maybe it would be fun to have a children's book theme some month--perhaps something like favorite childhood books or books you wished you'd read as a child.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Maybe it would be fun to have a children's book theme some month--perhaps something like favorite childhood books or books you wished you'd read as a child.
Later this month we'll work out our next slate of themes.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #50
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The children's books I remember with the greatest fondness were the complete set of L. Frank Baum Oz books we had. With the lovely illustrations, and mix of fantasy and characters,they sparked a lifetime love of SFF. But I also remember Alcott with fondness. Though if we're going to do a children's theme, I'd far rather Baum than Alcott.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The children's books I remember with the greatest fondness were the complete set of L. Frank Baum Oz books we had. With the lovely illustrations, and mix of fantasy and characters,they sparked a lifetime love of SFF. But I also remember Alcott with fondness. Though if we're going to do a children's theme, I'd far rather Baum than Alcott.
It doesn't matter, but it might be more useful in the long run to post theme ruminations in the Theme Suggestion Thread and try to stick to summer here!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #52
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Good point. I'll move over there for that discussion.

Meanwhile, I just need one last second for A Long Summer Day. Really, this was one of my favourite reads last year, and I'd love to share it with everyone.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #53
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will third Long Summer Day just to get it to the vote but I'm not thrilled with the idea of another almost 700 page book.

I will second A Man's Got to have a Hobby as well.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #54
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I will third Long Summer Day just to get it to the vote but I'm not thrilled with the idea of another almost 700 page book.

I will second A Man's Got to have a Hobby as well.
You should love my 100 page nomination then, Dazrin
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #55
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'll second A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams. What's a summer book that's not ended by a famous hurricane ?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #56
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Good point. I'll move over there for that discussion.

Meanwhile, I just need one last second for A Long Summer Day. Really, this was one of my favourite reads last year, and I'd love to share it with everyone.
My hesitation with that one is not 700 pp. per se, but 700 pp. without an audiobook.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Two books are left which need a vote apiece. Here's a reminder that anyone can vote at this stage, even if they plan to lurk during the discussion.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #58
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Two books are left which need a vote apiece. Here's a reminder that anyone can vote at this stage, even if they plan to lurk during the discussion.
Okay, as they all seem worth reading this month, I'll nominate the remaining two. I don't think I'll be able to participate in the reading/reviewing this time due to RL constraints, but will if I can.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Okay, as they all seem worth reading this month, I'll nominate the remaining two. I don't think I'll be able to participate in the reading/reviewing this time due to RL constraints, but will if I can.
Do what you can, when you can. You're always welcome and will be missed when you can't make it.

(This goes for everyone, btw. If life happens, don't sweat it. The club is supposed to be fun, not a chore. Good intentions cover most situations. )

Oh, and thanks for the seconds!

Last edited by issybird; 06-06-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Oh good, all tidied up!

Good luck with the real life constraints orlok - hope you can get back to us when things settle down.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote