Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #31
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've never participated in either book club, though I have occasionally looked at the voting and/or discussion threads.

There are some categories I'm just not interested in, such as memoir or fantasy (probably most people have certain types of book they just aren't going to read?) My favorite genre is mystery, but the one time I happened to notice that the club selection was a mystery it was a book I had previously tried to read on my own and did not finish because I just couldn't get into it. I do like some historical fiction and classics but I didn't feel like rereading Jane Eyre.

Honestly, I read mostly for escape and don't feel a great need to discuss what I read with other people. If I happened to notice that one of the clubs was reading something that sounded interesting to me at that time, I might go for it, but changes to the format are not likely to make a difference in whether or not I would read a club selection.

Last edited by 4691mls; 11-20-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: delete redundancy
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #32
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think the Lit club has (had?) some form of perk for more consistent members but I haven't looked into it for a while.

I think something like that could be fun.

With the software we have giving an extra vote wouldn't be easy but maybe we could have a category once a year for "regular's favorite" and only those who have participated in some percentage of discussions could nominate? Same voting would apply I think.

The other ideas there are certainly possible too.
I like this idea. Give those who've participated in some number of discussions an exclusive "regular's choice month".

I'm not likely to be a regular, but I'd be happy to see what they'd come up with.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #33
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
What matters very much to me is if a book is available as an audiobook. I read/listen to about a book a week, but nowhere near as much in print. And then, with a tight budget in mind, hopefully available from Overdrive or Hoopla. Only if I'm really motivated I would buy from Audible.

I realize my parameters are too limiting for the group as a whole, but well, you did ask.
While I don't list Hoopla availability (wouldn't even know where to start, frankly), I do make it a point to list Audible availability, since that is often a factor for me and for others. I also find myself often having to choose to listen to a book rather than read it, and for some books, actively prefer that format.

Overdrive is a good source for audio books, and they're all DRM free now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:55 AM   #34
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
For me, I get some of the camaraderie from the Reading Rec forum and to a lesser extend the Lounge. I don't make my way to many of the other forums often. I am sure a lot of people are that way.

There have to be lots of people who just wander straight to the Kindle or Kobo or Deals forums that don't even know the book club exists, it seems like getting some of those people involved is what it will take to get the club thriving again.

Off the wall - what about having a chat or other live discussion for a book rather than just the discussion thread? Something where we can actively go back and forth about a book rather than the long delays we have now. Post....wait 6 hours...someone else posts...wait 6 hours...someone else responds to first post...

It could even be a Google Hangout/Skype/etc. meetup where audio is possible and we could have an actual verbal discussion.
Wouldn't time zones be a problem?
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:51 AM   #35
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I would think so! Here it’s getting on for 6.00 pm on Wednesday, in New York it’s nearly 2.00am, in San Francisco it’s still Tuesday night, and so on.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm going to respond to various points at intervals, but one thing I thought I'd get out early is that if people think a month lead time would help, there's no reason why the January Second-Chance poll can't be posted as soon as the December poll closes. That would give us a chance to test it out.

(By the way, I hope it's obvious I have Tom's ear; I'm not trying to stage a coup. )
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm going to respond to various points at intervals, but one thing I thought I'd get out early is that if people think a month lead time would help, there's no reason why the January Second-Chance poll can't be posted as soon as the December poll closes. That would give us a chance to test it out.

(By the way, I hope it's obvious I have Tom's ear; I'm not trying to stage a coup. )
I never thought you were trying to take over. My thought is that you are trying to help.

As for more time, I've been advocating for that for some time. So go for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never thought you were trying to take over. My thought is that you are trying to help.
I should add that I'm also in communication with sun surfer, as well.

On consideration, I phrased my suggestion to merge the two clubs poorly, as it allows people to maintain any preconceptions they might have about one club or the other. The point really is to come up with a club that would appeal to the largest possible number of participants who are interested in a book club at MR. As with anything, there's no "perfect" club with 12 categories that are totally spot-on for each individual.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #39
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
OK, off the wall suggestion time. How about a Badge for everyone who commits to reading at least 10 of the 12 books in a club as part of their annual challenge?

Or, simply a 'member' badge? Something showing you really are part of the process. I know I was a member here at MR for over a year before I paid any attention at all to the club. Didn't really understand that you could drop in.

What I'm getting at here is a way to recognize and 'reward' participants. Kind of like those little karma dots. ('CRussel ought to be getting tired of Karma fortunes by now')
I second the suggestion for badges. Would also help draw attention to the club
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
So for badges, we would replace, or add to, our avatars? I have signatures disabled.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #41
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure what the forum software allows, but I suspect there is some way to add the badges. Obviously, if you have you have avatars and signatures turned off, you wouldn't see them or have them, however. Not much we can (or should) do about that.

If the forum software doesn't have a feature that allows such things, we could either go with a small image that could be added to signatures, or a way to "stamp" it onto our avatars -- easy for those of us who use our own JPGs, not so easy for those who use the default forum avatars. We first need to figure out if we want it, then work with the mods to figure out what is possible.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #42
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So for badges, we would replace, or add to, our avatars? I have signatures disabled.
And I have avatars disabled.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #43
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
And I have avatars disabled.
Yup. But what we're looking for here is the 80/20 rule. We're not going to hit everyone (unless it works like the Karma Dots), but if we at least get most, I think it improves things. And raises the visibility of the club at the same time it gives book club members a way to 'be proud' and show our commitment to its success.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #44
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I think much of this comes down to what we want to get out of a book club.

I like the Lit club selections because it is to my taste. I know many participate in book clubs to read things they might not otherwise read. Of course, that raises the question of whether enough people are willing to spend money on the latter endeavor. I have always wished more of the club selections were either in the MR library or in the public domain.

So what are your bars to participation? Time? Cost? Availability? Or are the selections not to your taste?

I could see a world in which the clubs were combined, as long as everyone knows that no one will love every selection.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #45
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Perhaps a "bargain bookclub" would do the job? The main problems I see here in this thread are price and availability related. A book for less than the price of a coffee would solve this, no?

It would at least convince me to participate in book clubs more often, even if I don't have a taste for the subject

And for the "Badge" thing, wouldn't a specific "Book Club user title" do the job,even if people have avatars/signatures disabled?
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote