Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Kindle screensavers & Calibre book covers

Hi Kindle & Calibre users,

I'm not a Kindle owner myself so I'm a stranger in this forum (please be nice )

In Jan 2011 I created a Calibre plugin, Copy Cover, which allows quick and easy copying of Calibre book covers to your device for use as screensavers. It started out supporting Sony and Pocketbook devices (which I own) and by mid 2011 I added support for Nook and some Kindle devices. To-date it appears to be being successfully used by 30,000+ users.

Last week a Kindle Touch (non-Ad-supported) owner asked me whether I could add support for his device. Beta-testing seems to have been successful, so I've released a plugin update (v1.6.0)

In summary, the plugin should work on any jailbroken Kindle which also has installed one of the following:
  • Simple Screensaver hack (by Yifan Lu) e.g. Kindle Touch (non-Ad-supported).
  • Custom Screensaver hack (by NiLuJe) e.g. Kindle2/3/DX (supported in plugin since May 2011).
In case you're wondering about the Kindle 4 (non-Ad-supported), I'm not sure because I don't have access to one. What I can say is that if you are already successfully using one of the above Kindle screensaver hacks on a jailbroken Kindle 4 (non-Ad-supported), then the plugin should work fine.

The plugin requires no technical knowledge to operate and employs no rocket science. It simply and quickly copies Calibre covers (max. 100) of the correct shape, size and format to the appropriate 'special' screensaver directory in Kindle internal memory.
[N.B. Please do not jailbreak your Kindle unless you fully understand what it means and implies.]

Whilst the plugin is not as convenient as having an on-device option of display-cover-of-current-book, it may help until Amazon/your Kindle developers provide such a feature.

Anyway, if you are interested, you can read more about it in the Calibre Copy Cover main thread. Anyone who is already using other Calibre plugins will be aware that installing an extra plugin is as simple as picking from a list.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask here or in the main thread.

Kind regards, Jackie
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jackie_w: I wasn't aware of this until a few weeks ago, when it was bumped in the Calibre forum. Happy to see the SS hack used this way .

I've ported my K2/K3 hack to the Kindle 4 a while back, so, provided someone is using *this* one, not any of the crappy update-failure inducing workarounds that spread around like wildfire, it should work as well as on a K2/3 without any changes on your side .

Note that I don't have a K4 either, so this was dry coded, but the Kindle 4 FW is very similar to the K2/3 in this respect, and I haven't heard anything bad since it went up, so... . [I'm pretty sure the core feature of actually *showing* the custom screensavers works, what I'm not 100% certain about is the auto-reboot thing, which your plugin makes use of. If you hear K4 users complaining about their Kindle not 'restarting' automatically on unplug (which means the user would have to restart their Kindle manually in order to see the new screensavers), send them my way ].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for contributing this info about the K4, NiLuJe. Hopefully someone will confirm whether it works, then I can update the documentation accordingly.

Glad you approve
Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Thanks for adding the Kindle Touch support, it's made me a very happy man.

I can't believe that displaying covers isn't included by default on the non-ad supported kindles.

But anyway this has made it a breeze flooding my kindle with the 100 covers I'm allowed.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
razorsoup
Enthusiast
razorsoup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
what I'm not 100% certain about is the auto-reboot thing, which your plugin makes use of. If you hear K4 users complaining about their Kindle not 'restarting' automatically on unplug (which means the user would have to restart their Kindle manually in order to see the new screensavers), send them my way ].
I have a K4 with both the screensaver and font hacks installed. If I create an empty reboot file in the "linkfonts" folder it usually reboots the Kindle after unplugging the USB cable. What I've found is that I have to eject it from Windows first, then unplug the cable for the reboot to work. If I just unplug it without ejecting from windows, the reboot doesn't happen. If this is the intended behavior then it seems to be working properly. If this isn't the intended behavior, then it at least encourages best practices by forcing me to eject from Windows first.

Putting the empty reboot file in the "linkss" folder doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. So, since this plugin places that file in the "linkss" folder, my Kindle doesn't automatically reboot when I unplug it.
razorsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@razorsoup: See my answer in the Hack thread, it's completely normal .

Though that reminds me that jackie's plugin may not take that into account (unlike the Kindle Collections plugin). I'll check .

EDIT: Yup, it doesn't. I'll post a patch later tonight .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Though that reminds me that jackie's plugin may not take that into account (unlike the Kindle Collections plugin). I'll check .

Does this mean I will need to change something? or that you will handle everything?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackie_w: I'm doing it right now, I'll post a patch/zip in the Calibre thread when I'm done .

EDIT: Done .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-24-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@jackie_w: I'm doing it right now, I'll post a patch/zip in the Calibre thread when I'm done .
No need to rush, NiLuJe. If it's something I will need to incorporate in the python code then I'm also currently in the middle of trying to sort out a Pocketbook issue with another user. It may not resolve itself for a few days yet. I'd prefer not to issue a plugin update until everything is sorted.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackie_w: Too late! ^^

(I'm leaving for a week tomorrow, so I rushed it, but the fix is trivial enough anyway, and already implemented in the Kindle Collections plugin, so it was no bother at all ).
Old 08-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
razorsoup
Enthusiast
razorsoup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:

Thanks. I posted here since this plugin seemed to be trying to use the SS reboot. Glad you got it sorted.
razorsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsoup View Post
Thanks. I posted here since this plugin seemed to be trying to use the SS reboot. Glad you got it sorted.
Hi razorsoup,

When my update is ready in a couple of days, would you be prepared to beta-test it on your Kindle4?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

NiLuJe's fix for auto reboot on Kindle-with-Custom-Screensaver now incorporated into new update v1.6.2

Any problems, please report here or in main thread.

Update v1.6.2 available either
  • from Calibre's standard Plugin Updater or
  • manually from post #1 of main thread.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, screensaver hack