Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #1636
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Geralt: As Ruskie said, I definitely get the feeling of not wanting to install seemingly unneeded stuff. Which is why I try to make it worth your while . And in this case, yes, it's basically a required dependency now.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #1637
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You should also be able to launch it via emergency.sh, though it is rather outside its purview...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #1638
fallenfuzz
fallenfuzz began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenfuzz View Post
Hi All,

Small questions
Right now I have jailbroken 5.4.5 with old jailbreak and old kindlet.
Everyting works of course, but lets say I want to upgrade to latest version so first I need to update jailbreak, kindlet, kual, koreader to the latest ones from threads or from Niluje's hacks and then apply the latest kindle update from amazon?

Thanks in advance.
So now I just need to flash everyting latest and install latest update?
fallenfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #1639
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenfuzz View Post
So now I just need to flash everyting latest and install latest update?
An Amazon update will reset the firmware to stock vanilla conditions. The jailbreak+MKK is the only thing that gets preserved, so you can install the latest hacks if you wish, but you will have to reinstall everything afterwards anyway.

This does not apply to KUAL, which is an active content stored in the documents folder. And KUAL extensions are merely folders in the userstore as well.

Anything that required you to install via an update.bin will need to be reinstalled after the update(, although of course you need to use MRInstaller this time around).
Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #1640
Cuchulainn
Cuchulainn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am running Jailbreak 1.8 at the moment, and decided to upgrade my jailbreak. I unpacked the content of kindle-5.4-jailbreak to the kindle root folder and unplugged the kindle. The upgrade option is greyed out however. Any idea what's going wrong here? Firmware version still says 5.4.3.
Cuchulainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #1641
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You should be able to update... have you tried using the update_bridge.bin from the jailbreak download? It is the same jailbreak but packaged as a hacked installer.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #1642
Cuchulainn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You should be able to update... have you tried using the update_bridge.bin from the jailbreak download? It is the same jailbreak but packaged as a hacked installer.
Greyed out as well... I was under the impression this one only worked from v1.10 upwards.

EDIT: I tried using mrinstaller, and this seemed to do something. How can I check which jailbreak I am running?

Last edited by Cuchulainn; 12-22-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #1643
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The jailbreak version can be found by grepping /var/local/system/fixup, does that help?

If you needed MRInstaller, that implies something strange, like fw5.6.1 which would also make it impossible to use MRInstaller...
Old 12-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #1644
Cuchulainn

Quote:
The jailbreak version can be found by grepping /var/local/system/fixup, does that help?

If you needed MRInstaller, that implies something strange, like fw5.6.1 which would also make it impossible to use MRInstaller...
That helps! Installed kterm, and used vi to see the file. At the beginning of the file it says
Code:
# $Id: bridge.sh 11155 2014-11-24 17:20:27Z NiL
so I guess it worked. Still baffled though...

EDIT: I also installed Duokan somewhere around march this year... Might this cause the problems I'm experiencing?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #1645
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Fun fact -- I usually update the JB by running /mnt/us/jb.sh via kterm. It saves restarting the firmware with MRInstaller, unlike the bridge it doesn't reboot the system, and its easier than restarting just to get the update option to show up when I download and unzip the jb via skipstone and kterm... (because the firmware scans for updates after dismounting from a PC.)
Old 12-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #1646
seffka_p
seffka_p began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Okay, as promised earlier, here's an early winter break present .

If you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of the JailBreak when you got the 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Download the attached zip file, and unpack it.
Copy the Update_jailbreak_1.14.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. If the update is successful, you're golden. If it fails, it probably means you weren't properly jailbroken before the update, in which case, you're still screwed.
Hello guys!

I tried this thing on 5.6.1 (there was working 1.12 jb before update), and it finished successfully, but whoami still says 'framework' and no of things, that require root work.

Where am I wrong?

UPD: I tried to run jb.sh from kterm, it doesn't work too

Last edited by seffka_p; 12-24-2014 at 09:51 AM.
seffka_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #1647
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seffka_p View Post
Hello guys!

I tried this thing on 5.6.1 (there was working 1.12 jb before update), and it finished successfully, but whoami still says 'framework' and no of things, that require root work.

Where am I wrong?

UPD: I tried to run jb.sh from kterm, it doesn't work too
You have to use the KUAL, MRInstaller on a jb'd 5.6.1 to re-install everything else (except MKK).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #1648
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@seffka_p: Yup, perfectly normal. Provided you're actually using KUAL to launch kterm (which you should, especially on >= 5.6.1), update KUAL, that should help.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #1649
fallenfuzz
fallenfuzz began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
An Amazon update will reset the firmware to stock vanilla conditions. The jailbreak+MKK is the only thing that gets preserved, so you can install the latest hacks if you wish, but you will have to reinstall everything afterwards anyway.

This does not apply to KUAL, which is an active content stored in the documents folder. And KUAL extensions are merely folders in the userstore as well.

Anything that required you to install via an update.bin will need to be reinstalled after the update(, although of course you need to use MRInstaller this time around).
I'm running only KUAL with Koreader, that is all.

So order of things will be (assuming I'll take all from latest hacks)

1. update to latest K5 JailBreak
2. update to latest Mobileread Kindlet Kit
3. update KUAL to 2.5
4. update koreader
5. install latest PW2 firmware downloaded from site

correct? (btw, what is better to use,files om the threads or NiLuJe builds?)

Thanks in advance.
fallenfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #1650
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
#1 and #2 are combined.
Then #5
Then #3
Then MRInstaller
Then #4
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch