Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
BOb,

Do you have any experience with Navi-X? It has a lot of good buzz in the Boxee forums but I'm still trying to learn how to use it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
BOb,

Do you have any experience with Navi-X? It has a lot of good buzz in the Boxee forums but I'm still trying to learn how to use it.
Nope, I never even heard of it until the minute I read your message. Sorry.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm about to cut my Comcast service and switch to Clearwire. In the process I'll be eliminating all TV service. From then on, all video watching will be online streaming and DVD.

My setup is simple: desktop PC, 23" WS display, modem, router.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm about to cut my Comcast service and switch to Clearwire. In the process I'll be eliminating all TV service. From then on, all video watching will be online streaming and DVD.

My setup is simple: desktop PC, 23" WS display, modem, router.
I'd love to read your review of the service and how it works with your system.

My Clearwire modem with WiFi just arrived and after I finish my new wiki page project in an hour or so, I'll set it up just with my set top boxes, to see how it works (leaving my computers and VoIP out of the loop for the first few days).
Old 12-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The left one and the right one?

BOb
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the discussion guys. I dropped DirecTV/TIVO a couple of months back and am currently using Windows Media Center and an external USB Tuner (happauge) to record over the air TV (local news, PBS (BBC News, Nova, etc.)) and provide access to various internet content. This is using a laptop I bought specifically to replace my DirecTIVO. I'm reasonably happy but for some reason I can't determine my WMC keeps crashing in the middle of playback very often.

I was hoping Google TV might turn out to be something, but am not seeing it happen. About the only thing I'm not happy with is being unable to watch/record the new Dr. Who season and a few other things. But I am saving some $800/year which paid for the laptop and tuner.

I'm going to go check out the links provided above now:

http://gigaom.com/video/roku-apple-t...tv-gift-guide/
and
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/08/ff_howto_watchtv/

Thanks!

P.S. I bought my son a Roku device as a Christmas present and he loves it. He has a netflix subscription already though. I'm not that much of a movie watcher or I might subscribe myself.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'd love to read your review of the service and how it works with your system.
Will do; but it'll be sometime next month before I do.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #38
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I've been using Hauppauge devices for years for work and personal use. for personal use I just have it connected to the DTV DVR, so I can watch a show in the corner of my monitor when I working on my office computer. I also use it archive shows and events I want to keep forever. Since I live in a condo, I haven't found an antenna solution for OTA programming.

BTW, the Roku box is great! I bought it because there has been a long delay in getting, Netflix, Hulu+ and Vudu on the Boxee Box. At this point they compliment each other. When BB gets it's act together the Roku will go in my office/guest bedroom.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

My last post was so good, I used it twice.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #40
kennyc

Sounds like you got "one of each" and extra posts as well Daffy.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kenny, you should be able to d/l Dr Who fairly easily.

BOb
Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
kennyc

I heard/been told that I may have to give it a try at some point. Is the new season running?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

NO, I think it starts in March or April.

BOb
Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I heard/been told that I may have to give it a try at some point. Is the new season running?
5 seasons in the new series and a steal at $95 per season

http://www.bbcamericashop.com/
Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
NO, I think it starts in March or April.

BOb
Cool. That's what I was thinking....in that area at least...

Thank you!