Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
New Nook!

There's a new Nook Glowlight Plus scheduled to roll out this weekend.
It's not on the B&N site yet, but the press releases are going around.
The big thing about this is it has a 7.8" display.
Not sure why they reused an old device name, though. Bound to make for confusion.
It has page buttons and not as bad a bezel at the NG3, if the photos are accurate.
And a $199. price.
The one thing I'm not sure if whether it has the warm (orange) lighting.
None of the press releases mention that, but you would think it would, especially at this price point.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-inch-e-reader
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Since it has a headphone jack I'm betting they'll come out with a 32 gig model as well.

How is the software in the Nooks; do they do a good job with EPUBs? Hopefully their UI is better than the Kindle's.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
thread started here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320290

BTW, that site ripped off my post again.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
There's a new Nook Glowlight Plus scheduled to roll out this weekend.
It's not on the B&N site yet, but the press releases are going around.
The big thing about this is it has a 7.8" display.
Not sure why they reused an old device name, though. Bound to make for confusion.
I can understand reusing the name. They don't sell the old Glowlight Plus anymore and haven't for a while. I don't think there will be too much confusion. Some I guess. But not much. And the wildly different screen sizes ought to make it easy enough to sort out.

Quote:
It has page buttons and not as bad a bezel at the NG3, if the photos are accurate.
And a $199. price.
The one thing I'm not sure if whether it has the warm (orange) lighting.
None of the press releases mention that, but you would think it would, especially at this price point.
Looking at the image, it does have the amber light. And the article says:

Quote:
It has a front-lit display screen and color temperature system.
I really hope there's some improvement in Nook software (and it would be nice if the improvements were rolled out to the Glowlight 3 and 6" Glowlight Plus).

And no more games with the amount of space available for sideloading, please.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
How is the software in the Nooks; do they do a good job with EPUBs? Hopefully their UI is better than the Kindle's.
I think Nook does a very good job with page layout. The reading experience on the Nook is very good. I don't like that the page count is inaccurate, but that has to do with the ePub format, not the Nook.

Outside of the reading experience, I don't think the Nook software is as good as Kobo's software. The home page is half made up of store recommendations that can't be turned off. In my honest opinion, Nook software is 'good enough'.

I've only used Kindles for short times here and there, so I'm not the best judge. But I found it to be confusing and unintuitive. I'm sure reading some guide would clear up the mystery. But I've never needed such hand-holding on a Nook or Kobo.

Now, you will hear about Nook software being slow or buggy. That is mainly to do with the most recent update to the Glowlight 3. Originally, the Glowlight 3 only had a small partition for sideloading. After customers complained, they tried updating it with a software update. While there is now more room, the device is buggy.

I have a 6" Glowlight Plus and a Glowlight 3. Both run the same software and the Plus is definitely more stable.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have created a wiki page NOOK GlowLight Plus for this device. The specifications are still mostly not available and B&N have not yet posted it on their site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Looks good. I hope they pull it off. I would like to see Barnes and Nobles have a winner with this device. Have to give them credit for sticking in there. Have a Barnes and nobles 2 miles from my house will be checking it out.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I can understand reusing the name. They don't sell the old Glowlight Plus anymore and haven't for a while. I don't think there will be too much confusion. Some I guess. But not much. And the wildly different screen sizes ought to make it easy enough to sort out.
If the device's pictures are accurate, it would probably have been better to name it the Nook Glowlight 3 Plus — since it looks like a bigger ("plus") version of the current Glowlight 3.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:25 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Looks good. I hope they pull it off. I would like to see Barnes and Nobles have a winner with this device. Have to give them credit for sticking in there. Have a Barnes and nobles 2 miles from my house will be checking it out.
I'll be taking a look at one also (if they're in stock in Boise).
Old 05-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If the device's pictures are accurate, it would probably have been better to name it the Nook Glowlight 3 Plus — since it looks like a bigger ("plus") version of the current Glowlight 3.
I thought of that too. Maybe they thought it sounded clunky?

Maybe just drop Glowlight and call it the Nook 3 Plus? Or Glowlight XL or something?

But in the end, I can live with Glowlight Plus. When will anyone care, aside from buying 3rd party cases from Amazon and I'm guessing B&N doesn't care about that.

And they aren't the first. you ever try looking on Amazon for a case for the Kobo Aura? Good luck with that.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
I thought of that too. Maybe they thought it sounded clunky?

Maybe just drop Glowlight and call it the Nook 3 Plus? Or Glowlight XL or something?

But in the end, I can live with Glowlight Plus. When will anyone care, aside from buying 3rd party cases from Amazon and I'm guessing B&N doesn't care about that.

And they aren't the first. you ever try looking on Amazon for a case for the Kobo Aura? Good luck with that.
Agreed. I'm hoping this sells well for them. They actually have been first to market on a lot of stuff with ereaders. I hope this brings them back to their former glory....fingers crossed that it's not too buggy and there is no partition BS...
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yep. Or for a "Kindle" for that matter.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Agreed. I'm hoping this sells well for them. They actually have been first to market on a lot of stuff with ereaders. I hope this brings them back to their former glory....fingers crossed that it's not too buggy and there is no partition BS...
Me too. I'm still not convinced that I (personally) need an 8" eReader, but the price of this one makes it tempting (provided the software is not too buggy). And I still like page-turning buttons.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:47 AM   #14
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Kindle user here, I'm hoping this is reasonably successful to bring more competition to the US ereader market, things are getting kinda stale like the bad old days of IE6 dominance in the web browser market.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
I am very surprised that Barnes and Noble haven't released anything since the PR release and it comes out tomorrow. Never gonna beat Kindle that way.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote