Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcsev View Post
hello,

is this new firmware rolling out in waves? While any time I press sync it is not downloading anything new firmware (the sync is going through, without error). Just no new firmware appears.

thank you
Kobo does gradual rollouts of new firmware based on affiliate, possibly geolocation and likely some other factors.

You can manually download the firmware and install it, change the affiliate or be patient. If you want to try a manual download, check geek1011's firmware page at Kobo Firmware Downloads, download the correct version for your Kobo, extract the files from the downloaded .zip and copy them to the .kobo directory.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #32
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcsev View Post
hello,

is this new firmware rolling out in waves? While any time I press sync it is not downloading anything new firmware (the sync is going through, without error). Just no new firmware appears.

thank you
Yes it is rolling out in waves. Kobo does that each time they release new firmware.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:19 AM   #33
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
Working on the mini

Installed and working on the kobo mini
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:32 PM   #34
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
This firmware seems to have a new parental controls option which allows you to pretty much de-koboify the kobo…. Note that Overdrive and Pocket get hidden, but I may make a patch to either: add back these features or provide individual features from parental controls.
I would regard this as an ideal, necessary patch. While I have no attachment to the native home screen, Overdrive is a family essential. Even the ability to sync items to a Kobo device via the iOS or Android Overdrive (or Libby) app—or via the Overdrive website—would be an acceptable solution if native browsing had to be disabled.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
I would regard this as an ideal, necessary patch. While I have no attachment to the native home screen, Overdrive is a family essential. Even the ability to sync items to a Kobo device via the iOS or Android Overdrive (or Libby) app—or via the Overdrive website—would be an acceptable solution if native browsing had to be disabled.
The parental controls just hide the option to connect an Overdrive account to the device. This shouldn't block borrowing books from OD by other methods and having them come to the device. But, you will need to connect the account to OD before turning on the Parental Controls, or use another device logged into the same Kobo and OD accounts.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #36
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I believe there's a minor bug in this firmware version with Kepubs: whenever I'm reading and I tap on the bottom part of the screen to bring up the navigation menu, it displays the wrong chapter title. Everything else seems to be okay, and the current chapter is correctly marked in the TOC.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #37
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've been using the patched firmware for a couple of weeks on my first generation Kobo Aura, and it works great. Very fast and stable. Might be Kobo's best work yet.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:40 PM   #38
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I believe there's a minor bug in this firmware version with Kepubs: whenever I'm reading and I tap on the bottom part of the screen to bring up the navigation menu, it displays the wrong chapter title. Everything else seems to be okay, and the current chapter is correctly marked in the TOC.
I just checked this and you're absolutely right. I'll downgrade.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:03 AM   #39
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
with Kepubs: whenever I'm reading and I tap on the bottom part of the screen to bring up the navigation menu, it displays the wrong chapter title.
Shift by 2 chapters, starting at 3

3 -> 1 etc
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #40
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I just checked this and you're absolutely right. I'll downgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Shift by 2 chapters, starting at 3

3 -> 1 etc
When I read your 3 posts I was a little confused because I was not seeing this in my kepubs.

However, after a bit more digging I did find a few kepubs with the problem. On closer inspection the ones with the problem all had something in common. They all had files in the kepub (the spine in the OPF file) which are not listed in the TOC (NCX file). After adding the missing TOC items, deleting from then resending to the Kobo, the problem was gone.

I'm not trying to say that this is a good situation, it's just another example how kepubs (not sure about epubs) misbehave when there isn't a one-to-one correlation between spine items and the TOC. I've been (somewhat obsessively) fixing this problem on new books for several years now. It didn't surprise me to find that all the kepubs I found which did display the reported problem were pre-2016 which is probably when I started the obsession.

The other thing to comment on is that if you have Reading Settings set to display progress as 'Current chapter' rather than 'Entire book', the chapter name is permanently displayed in the footer. Even if a kepub does have a "problematic TOC" the chapter name in the footer is correct. It's just the chapter name in the [<->] pop-up which is out-of-synch. I've always used 'Entire book' myself so I'm not sure whether this is a new problem or it's always been like this.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-27-2019 at 07:54 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #41
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
When I read your 3 posts I was a little confused because I was not seeing this in my kepubs.

However, after a bit more digging I did find a few kepubs with the problem. On closer inspection the ones with the problem all had something in common. They all had files in the kepub (the spine in the OPF file) which are not listed in the TOC (NCX file). After adding the missing TOC items, deleting from then resending to the Kobo, the problem was gone.

I'm not trying to say that this is a good situation, it's just another example how kepubs (not sure about epubs) misbehave when there isn't a one-to-one correlation between spine items and the TOC. I've been (somewhat obsessively) fixing this problem on new books for several years now. It didn't surprise me to find that all the kepubs I found which did display the reported problem were pre-2016 which is probably when I started the obsession.

The other thing to comment on is that if you have Reading Settings set to display progress as 'Current chapter' rather than 'Entire book', the chapter name is permanently displayed in the footer. Even if a kepub does have a "problematic TOC" the chapter name in the footer is correct. It's just the chapter name in the [<->] pop-up which is out-of-synch. I've always used 'Entire book' myself so I'm not sure whether this is a new problem or it's always been like this.
I've checked and this seems to correspond with what I'm seeing as well - at least, I have books that don't have this problem and those that do, have files that do not appear in the TOC (e.g. the Contents or Dedication page). Unfortunately my Reading Settings are set to not show the footer, so I rely on the Navigation menu: based on this, I can confirm that this is a new problem with this firmware. I don't have the patience to check, fix and resend all my books (I have a library of over 3000...), so I will just wait for Kobo to fix this.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #42
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It's possible that they might not fix it if they don't perceive it to be a problem with their firmware, but a problem with our side-loaded books instead.

Thank you for the additional information you provided, jackie_w.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #43
smalahove
smalahove began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guego View Post
After updating to 4.13.12638, I was having the same problem as Leeward here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=28
And after updating to 4.14.12777, the problem is still here. I guess I will have to wait for another update.
I too have this on Clara HD. On home wifi router, a Linksys WRT1900AC running OpenWrt 18.06.2, the wireless network is neither visible or manually connectable after upgrade.

Works fine when using my mobile for hotspot.
smalahove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:10 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
It's possible that they might not fix it if they don't perceive it to be a problem with their firmware, but a problem with our side-loaded books instead.
That is probably the case. These books do not meet the requirements they publish for kepubs, so the behaviour for this is undefined. But, Kobo have been fixing some things with the ToC, so maybe we will see happens.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #45
lel24
lel24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Release notes have come put for the new firmware (4.15?). I saved it on the Wayback Machine this time:

http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/ReleaseNotes/118
lel24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware