Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In case you didn't know, Kindles default to not displaying embedded fonts and you have to select whatever the Kindle version of publisher default is in order to display embedded fonts on a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #17
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In case you didn't know, Kindles default to not displaying embedded fonts and you have to select whatever the Kindle version of publisher default is in order to display embedded fonts on a Kindle.
So the same as the kobo I'm using since all the books I send to it are kepub because the extended driver converts them to kepub.

I like the way koreader does it; it displays the embedded fonts where they're specified and uses the user specified font where they're not. For example, if the book specifies an embedded font for the h? tags and nothing for the p tag, then the p text gets the user specified font. I haven't fiddled much with koreader and I don't know if you can completely override the embedded fonts.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
So the same as the kobo I'm using since all the books I send to it are kepub because the extended driver converts them to kepub.

I like the way koreader does it; it displays the embedded fonts where they're specified and uses the user specified font where they're not. For example, if the book specifies an embedded font for the h? tags and nothing for the p tag, then the p text gets the user specified font. I haven't fiddled much with koreader and I don't know if you can completely override the embedded fonts.
But on a Kindle, the embedded fonts are 100% overridden unless the user specifies the Publisher Font. The user may not even know there are any embedded fonts.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #19
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But on a Kindle, the embedded fonts are 100% overridden unless the user specifies the Publisher Font. The user may not even know there are any embedded fonts.
And that's the same as the kobo when the file is a kepub. I think it does something different when it's an epub? The kobo touch extended driver converts on the fly to kepub so the file in your calibre library stays epub and what ends up on the kobo is kepub.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
And that's the same as the kobo when the file is a kepub. I think it does something different when it's an epub? The kobo touch extended driver converts on the fly to kepub so the file in your calibre library stays epub and what ends up on the kobo is kepub.
I would have to try it. It's been a while since I had an eBook that has embedded fonts. I tend to strip them out.