Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
kyoryu
kyoryu began at the beginning.

Device: nook
goodereader.com

Does anyone know anything about this site? I gave them $12 for a one-month subscription, and have been afraid to actually get anything from them as they look... uh... kinda sketchy. The fact that they have books available that aren't on any other ebook store I've seen doesn't help with that...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry you got taken. But the site looks very much like a scam.
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Very much looks like a pirate forum to me (hard to tell 100% without seeing what they have for download), except where most of them give it away for free these guys are charging for access.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
kyoryu
kyoryu began at the beginning.

That's what it looked like. I don't mind being out the $12, I figured it was worth it to figure out what they were peddling. Oh well! Thanks, everyone.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Do you also assume that the Rhapsody Music Service is a scam, since it runs on exactly the same business model? (unlimited downloads for a monthly fee).

I did a Google search on them, and the ONLY negative things I have found were speculations such as these in forums, by people who had NO experience with them.

It sounds like a commercial lending library, to me. You can only access the books as long as your subscription is paid up in full. Just like Rhapsody.

I'd be much more interested in hearing from somebody who was an ACTUAL subscriber. I may sign up for a month, just to see for myself. They use PayPal, so they wouldn't even have my credit card number.
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMc View Post
It sounds like a commercial lending library, to me. You can only access the books as long as your subscription is paid up in full. Just like Rhapsody.
No, it sounds like a pirate site. To quote from their terms and conditions:

Quote:
If you think on our ebooks or other content violates a trademark, intellectual property, private IP, or any other possible violation, it is not intentional. Due to fact that all of our E-Books are user uploads, we cannot be held resposible for any uploads on our system, as our posts and uploads are unmoderated. We belive in a free and open internet.
(All spelling mistakes theirs).
Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
..and apparently they think a sony looks like a kindle, a kindle looks like a... cool-er (I think) and I can't even work out what they think the nook is. oh wait, it's a txtr... ><;

Probably is a pirate site, though. Terribly ill informed pirates, but still.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Doesn't look legit but since you actually paid kyoryu could you tell us what they've given you access to? The books they have listed or just public domain and creative commons stuff?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
They have a one day trial period for $5, so I checked it out. There are books of all genres including recent best sellers available for download. User's can upload their books to "share" with other members. Most books have multiple formats, but I noticed some copies were a little ugly, containing odd characters at the beginning and end of the lines of text.

Easier than a torrent site, but I suspect they'll be shut down soon.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These are the very worse kind of pirates - they are doing it to make money.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
If you are going to pirate a book, do it without giving money to some fool.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
These are the very worse kind of pirates - they are doing it to make money.
No, I think you'll find most ship hijackings are for cash.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please keep the thread on topic. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
They also seem to be lifting stuff directly off MR and claiming it as their own:

Compare their posting here
with the MR posting here

Time to send round the boys for a chat I think.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please keep the thread on topic. Thank you.
Precisely.

(If you're pedantic in one thread, don't be surprised when I am in another. And I always use the ship-hijacking meaning of piracy. If you don't want me to have a sense of humour I can always start dissecting your posts...)
Closed Thread