Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2021, 05:06 AM   #1
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Put old firmware on new Kindle?

I only ever sideload my books and I always have my Kindle Paperwhite 4 on airplane mode. That's why I didn't realize there were new updates and I'm still on 5.13.1. And thank goodness for that!

I really don't like the new layout, so I'm going to keep this firmware.

Now I was wondering if I ever want to buy a new Kindle, could I put it on airplane mode after installing and then manually install 5.13.6?

I downloaded 5.13.6 on the Kindle software page for the Voyage. And that's my next question. Would it be possible to install this Voyage firmware on a Paperwhite? I don't know if that would be an issue or not.

I don't know if someone already asked this here. I looked for it, but couldn't find it. So I appologize if I've started a double thread.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:52 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You can manually install a newer firmware version on a Kindle, but not older than it already has. I.e. you can only put 5.13.6 on it if it previously had an older firmware version than 5.13.6.

And no, don't install a Voyage version on anything that's not Voyage.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-13-2021 at 05:55 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2021, 07:04 AM   #3
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmmm, that's disappointing.

I'll have to think about getting the new Paperwhite or just keeping the old one.
If I ever do get the new one it would probably be better to think of it as an entirely new device instead of the Kindle I'm used to.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Hmmmm, that's disappointing.

I'll have to think about getting the new Paperwhite or just keeping the old one.
If I ever do get the new one it would probably be better to think of it as an entirely new device instead of the Kindle I'm used to.
Yeah. I'm keeping my Oasis in the airplane mode as well. But I hope it won't be my last Kindle ever, so I guess no avoiding the new firmware for ever either.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #5
SusanReads
Addict

Ugh, you're totally right. I'm not on my last Kindle either.
Advert