Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
R Wilcox
R Wilcox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2nd Gen
Updating books leaves corrupted file remnants

Got a new problem with my Oasis 2. I went through my library on the Amazon UK website and clicked the "get updated version" button for a bunch of my books, since the automated update function broke quite some years ago. As usual my kindle very slowly downloaded the new files in batches of 5 at a time over the course of a day. I left it connected to wifi the entire time, just plugged it in and left it to it and checked on progress occasionally.

I noticed that some of those updated books were ending up with a pair of entries, and, sure enough, when it was finished a bunch of books had these duplicates. One entry has all the details and symbols showing as normal, the other only has the title and the "it's downloaded" tick symbol. Both entries will open to a readable book, though the formatting is slightly different so it's clearly not the same file. It's like the kindle only partially removed the outdated file. I tried to delete one of the no-detail duplicates with the three dot menu > remove download function. Nothing happened. Tried again, nothing. Gave it a few minutes to work at the request in case it was still busy, nothing. Tried deleting the other entry instead, nothing. Tried the same things with a couple of the other duplicated books, nothing. Repeated those requests, nothing. Rebooted the kindle as that usually gets rid of the weird orphan files my kindle sometimes leaves on my download list; both listings were still there. Tried deleting both again, nothing.

So I hooked it up to my PC, located the files for one of those faulty books, and tried deleting it directly. No can do, I get a message saying that the file is no longer at that location.

Since this occurred my Oasis' battery life is being murdered. It's always been rather on the low side despite me keeping it in aeroplane mode and with the light at a moderate level, but now it's crazy. I'm burning through around 10% of the battery in half an hour's reading! It's like the kindle is stuck processing something. I've checked for indexing; it's finished. It's been several weeks now.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or anyone experienced something similar? I don't want to factory reset as it'll take me a week to get everything back, and the previous three times I've been pushed into doing so by Amazon's support it never fixed a thing.
R Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote