Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #46
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Invert Screen does not work on FW 4.28 Only Dark Mode at the moment.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #47
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Anyone with a Mac know how to change the affiliate? Kobo seems to have changed mine on both readers to Kobo, from bestbuyca. My Mac won't save the change.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #48
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Which is essentially the same except images won’t be inverted, nor will the menus within a book, nor will the Home Screen or any non book screen I believe. I’ve not tested the browser.

All this makes the dark mode option the better one even on devices other than the Elipsa which don’t have the screen the Elipsa does.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I know that. However since you can't really use the Dark Mode toggle while reading (you need to exit reading and then re-enter), I hadn't bothered to remove that line from NickelMenu.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #50
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Which is essentially the same except images won’t be inverted, nor will the menus within a book, nor will the Home Screen or any non book screen I believe.
Unlike Invert Screen, Dark Mode should not be placed in the reader menu. Because you will have to close the book and open it again. There are too many unnecessary actions. It is better to put it in the library menu.
Advert
Old 08-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #51
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Unlike Invert Screen, Dark Mode should not be placed in the reader menu. Because you will have to close the book and open it again. There are too many unnecessary actions. It is better to put it in the library menu.
Yes, though I suspect geek is working on figuring out how to get nickelmenu to do this from within the book. It’s still an overall better method than invert screen was given how much time is spent on the Home Screen vs in a book.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:05 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Jon, why are you asking if you don't have a Mini?
And those who have a Mini know perfectly well what can be installed, but Kobo does not guarantee that the new firmware will fine work on this device, at your own risk.
Because others here do have a Mini and saying it's not for the Mini like it's a certainty is not helpful if you don't know for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #53
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Are patches available yet for this update?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Are patches available yet for this update?
Not yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #55
JustinKonen
JustinKonen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
So I uninstalled NickelMenu, reinstalled via the link here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=555

Then added a config file similar to I had before for invert (But in Main instead of reader, and dark_mode instead of invert)

menu_item :main :Invert Screen :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode

But I just get an error message that says "unkown setting name 'toggle' (arg: 'toggle:dark_mode')(src/action_cc.cc:340)

Any advice? I also tried "enable" and "disable" instead of toggle.
JustinKonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKonen View Post
So I uninstalled NickelMenu, reinstalled via the link here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=555

Then added a config file similar to I had before for invert (But in Main instead of reader, and dark_mode instead of invert)

menu_item :main :Invert Screen :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode

But I just get an error message that says "unkown setting name 'toggle' (arg: 'toggle:dark_mode')(src/action_cc.cc:340)

Any advice? I also tried "enable" and "disable" instead of toggle.
Not sure why you are seeing the error but Dark Mode works for me. Are you certain that you have updated to the test build of NickelMenu?

The config line I use is:
menu_item :main :Dark_Mode :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #57
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
How odd. I'm in the U.S. and I can't access it either. (I've used the Windscribe VPN in the past, so I'll give it a try, although I see Semwize has provided alternate links. Thank you, Semwize.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmongyee View Post
@icallaci I'm in Australia and I had the same problem. Finally, I thought of trying a VPN and using a US server, I immediately was able to access the site. I used Windscribe VPN as it has a free option.

I always had access to the pgaskin.net in the past. For some reason, it seems no longer possible to access it from Australia (without a VPN)

Cheers.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #58
JustinKonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure why you are seeing the error but Dark Mode works for me. Are you certain that you have updated to the test build of NickelMenu?

The config line I use is:
menu_item :main :Dark_Mode :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
Thanks for the reply.

Just pasted yours in exactly to test, same exact error message. I did the "uninstall" file (which worked), deleted the .adds folder, then put the new .tgz file in to the kobo root. It came back, re-added the .adds folder, buttons show up where I want, but I get the error mentioned.

If I put "DarkMode=true" in the normal .conf file it does work, but I want to be able to toggle it from within the reader...
Old 08-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #59
Semwize
Guru

And in fact it does not work on FW 4.28.18220. I checked on earlier versions of the firmware (4.28.17925 etc), and it worked perfectly there.
It works, I mixed up the versions of NickelMenu when checked.

@JustinKonen
Check the NickelMenu version. This error appears on the old version.

Last edited by Semwize; 08-12-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #60
JustinKonen

Quote:
And in fact it does not work on FW 4.28.18220. I checked on earlier versions of the firmware (4.28.17925 etc), and it worked perfectly there.
That must be it, I'm on 4.28.18220. Should I try to revert? I have no idea how. Or perhaps just wait until NickelMenu updates to support it?

Tags
firmware, firmware release