Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #16
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andria View Post
Sorry for any confusion! To clarify, yes I do use kindle. I also use overdrive and have a lot of epub books too but am more than happy to just use individual apps. Tbh this would be preferable to having to convert one format or the other via calibre which is why I'd prefer something that's more tablet style rather than an actual kindle or kobo. However, IF there is a vast difference in reading experience then I might reconsider and look again at the kindle or kobo reader but having already tried some of these in shops, this option is a bit of a compromise for me.
I prefer not having to convert either and use an Oynx Nova 2 and Note Air while previously having used Sonys, Kobos and Kindles. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference in reading experience once you get things set up. You sometimes have to fiddle with the app optimization settings to get things just right for certain apps (e.g. filter out page turn animations that can't be turned off) but it's a small price to pay IMO for added flexibility to be able to do stuff like read magazines from Libby, comics from Comixology, Marvel Unlimited etc. or from sources with which I can't remove DRM from and put on a Kobo/Kindle at all.

When actually reading the experience to me is the same. Sometimes navigating apps isn't quite as good because they are designed around scrolling instead of pagination like the dedicated eReaders but the faster screen modes help with this. And again for 95% of the time you'll spend using the device it's basically the same.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #17
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
I used to have a Likebook a few years ago and now understand why they might be cheaper. I had a few quality issues that has made me realize I will never buy one again: battery drains while off, battery life generally, and lack of os updates.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2021, 09:30 PM   #18
Andria
Andria began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks salamanderjuice and ab78727 for sharing your very helpful practical experiences. I was leaning towards onyx from what I'd read and I think that you both tipped me into making that a firm decision. But they're not the cheapest devices unfortunately so I'm still a bit on the fence about buying one due purely to financial reasons. I understand they're tablets and are priced as such but for me it will stil be only a reading device so I'm now back to umming and ahhing about whether to just 'settle' for a kobo or kindle and just get over my dislike of converting books! However, all the knowledge shared by everyone on this thread has definitely helped me see an e-ink tablet is absolutely the best option for me personally and if I can make the finances work for one of the onyx boox then that's the way I'm going! Thank you all for your help!
Andria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:58 AM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Thanks salamanderjuice and ab78727 for sharing your very helpful practical experiences. I was leaning towards onyx from what I'd read and I think that you both tipped me into making that a firm decision. But they're not the cheapest devices unfortunately so I'm still a bit on the fence about buying one due purely to financial reasons. I understand they're tablets and are priced as such but for me it will stil be only a reading device so I'm now back to umming and ahhing about whether to just 'settle' for a kobo or kindle and just get over my dislike of converting books! However, all the knowledge shared by everyone on this thread has definitely helped me see an e-ink tablet is absolutely the best option for me personally and if I can make the finances work for one of the onyx boox then that's the way I'm going! Thank you all for your help!
I have both Boox and Likebook devices and clearly prefer Likebook, with the exception of specially designed devices such as Poke 3 (small and light) or Boox Note Air (horizontal design).
I cannot confirm a statement made by ab78727 - on the contrary; In my opinion, Likebook is currently making much better efforts to update and fix errors than other manufacturers.
My currently preferred reading device is the Likebook P78 - not quite as powerful in terms of hardware as the Boox Nova 3, but in my opinion completely sufficient for reading needs (Kindle app, pocketbook app, etc.).
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #20
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
I wish you the best in your search. I recommend looking in the Boyue forum before deciding whether the lower cost is worth it for you. I use a reMarkable 2, which is an inflexible device in many ways compared to the Boyue and Onyx devices but its features, the team behind it, its friendliness to hacks, and the excellent developers who add to its functionality make me happier with it.

Quote:
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert