Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-22-2021, 03:27 AM   #1111
AdventureTime
AdventureTime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is an issue that I am working to resolve. In the mean time you should be able to work around the problem by selecting the option "Use cover from source file" in the Metadata tab of the conversion dialog.
Thank you for the workaround jhowell! It flawlessly worked!

I have a question though.
I noticed that these links becomes just texts and not "clickable" when converted to KFX. The MOBI version works fine.

The original file is EPUB.

AdventureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #1112
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureTime View Post
I have a question though.
I noticed that these links becomes just texts and not "clickable" when converted to KFX. The MOBI version works fine.
I cannot tell what might be going wrong without more information. If you post a conversion log that would help. Even better would be posting the EPUB (after first using the ScrambleEbook plugin on it if it is under copyright.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #1113
AdventureTime
AdventureTime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I cannot tell what might be going wrong without more information. If you post a conversion log that would help. Even better would be posting the EPUB (after first using the ScrambleEbook plugin on it if it is under copyright.)
I am sorry because I do not know how to retrieve the conversion log.
What happened was, when I tried to convert the file A using KFX Output, the table of contents etc are converted into plain text. However, when I tried to convert file B using KFX Output, the links were converted as links.

So, I really do not know what are the differences between these files.

By the way, I appreciate your reply jhowell.
AdventureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #1114
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureTime View Post
What happened was, when I tried to convert the file A using KFX Output, the table of contents etc are converted into plain text. However, when I tried to convert file B using KFX Output, the links were converted as links.
I can verify your finding that the links in the "A" file become non-functional after conversion to KFX. Looking at it with the calibre Editor further I see that the file is damaged. For example, the first link in part0002.html is coded as <a href="part0004.html#3Q280-5df3812cde044180b229d045e3019b13">. However the target file, part0004.html, is missing the id 3Q280-5df3812cde044180b229d045e3019b13.

There is a difference in conversion between KFX and other Kindle formats. In other formats a link with an incorrect target id is retained and causes a jump to the beginning of the targeted file, which happens to work well enough in this case. However the KFX converter in the Kindle Previewer is less forgiving and strips out incorrect links entirely.

In the "B" version of the book the equivalent link points to an id that is actually present in the target file so it converts correctly.

At this point I do not have a solution for your "A" file except to say that whatever workflow produced it should be avoided or fixed.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:48 PM   #1115
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Hi all, I'm attempting to convert a book to KFX but receive the following error in Calibre:

Quote:
calibre, version 5.26.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Project Hail Mary</b><br><br><b>KFX creation error:</b> Unexpected Ion symbols used: $790</p>
Any ideas what might be causing this?
Tomifonication is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2021, 10:52 PM   #1116
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomifonication View Post
Any ideas what might be causing this?
You need to update the plugin to the latest version.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #1117
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
I have been converting several books to KFX, but one is giving me an error I do not understand:
calibre, version 5.27.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed:
Cannot convert BOOKNAME
External resource e6 has unknown mime type

What is causing this error, and can it be corrected?
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #1118
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
I have been converting several books to KFX, but one is giving me an error I do not understand:
calibre, version 5.27.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed:
Cannot convert BOOKNAME
External resource e6 has unknown mime type

What is causing this error, and can it be corrected?
That error indicates that something is wrong with an image in the book preventing the type of the image from being determined. I can't say exactly what might be wrong or which image is involved. (The name "e6" was assigned to the image during conversion, but the original file name isn't shown.)

You might be able to find the problem by opening the source file in the calibre editor and using the Check Book function. If that does not turn up anything you could try removing images from the book one by one until the error goes away in order to find the problem image.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:51 AM   #1119
devil2trap
devil2trap began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hi jhowell,

How r u bro?

Jhowell I am getting following error while converting a book to kfx but when i convert same to azw3 format there are no issues. So can you please help me out.

Error Invalid Table Structure found in html ..\OEBPS\9781416554035_ch04.html at line number 49
devil2trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #1120
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil2trap View Post
I am getting following error while converting a book to kfx but when i convert same to azw3 format there are no issues. So can you please help me out.

Error Invalid Table Structure found in html ..\OEBPS\9781416554035_ch04.html at line number 49
Conversion to KFX has stricter requirements than conversion to most other formats because it uses Amazon's Kindle Previewer, which is a tool intended for use by publishers. That error appears to have been produced by the Kindle Previewer. It is not one that I have seen before but it appears to indicate that the HTML coding for a table in the book you are trying to convert is incorrect.

If you are familiar with HTML you can use calibre's editor to find and fix the incorrect HTML coding. Otherwise conversion of the book to MOBI format and then from MOBI to KFX may fix the problem, but will result in a loss of some of the book's formatting.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #1121
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.59.0. It is compatible with the current release of this plugin.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #1122
ssda
ssda began at the beginning.

"Error","Kindle conversion has encountered an internal error."

calibre, version 5.25.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert How Jesus Became God</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle conversion has encountered an internal error.</p>

I've been getting this error on calibre every time i try to convert to kfx. It used to be working great. I've tried different books,I've tried to update kindle previewer 3.Currently using 3.59 version.Nothing seems to be working.

When i try to load a epub to kindle previewer i get this error.

"Error: This error will block the book from publishing. The error needs to be fixed in order to publish."
"Notice: This issue will not block the book from publishing and can be safely ignored as there will be no impact."
"Type","Description","Source File","Line Number","Text Preceding Warning or Error","Recommended Fix"
"Error","Kindle conversion has encountered an internal error.","","","","Our team needs to investigate this error in order to resolve. Please go to the KPR Help Menu and select the Send Feedback option to inform us of this issue. Please make sure you are signed in and we will provide you with more information within 3 business days. Thank you."

What can i do here? Also this thread helped me a lot. I'm grateful to you.
ssda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #1123
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssda View Post
calibre, version 5.25.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert How Jesus Became God</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle conversion has encountered an internal error.</p>

I've been getting this error on calibre every time i try to convert to kfx. It used to be working great. I've tried different books,I've tried to update kindle previewer 3.Currently using 3.59 version.Nothing seems to be working.
What happens if you try to convert this edition of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley?

If that fails then there is something wrong with the Kindle Previewer installation on your system. You could try uninstalling it and then installing it again to correct this.

If only some EPUBs fail to convert then, as the error says, it is likely something in those EPUBs that is triggering as bug in the Kindle Previewer. The section "Dealing with Conversion Errors" in the first post in this thread has some advice on how to narrow done what specific formatting may be triggering the problem.

If you post an EPUB that demonstrates this problem I can take a look at it to see if I can determine the cause of the error. (Posting of copyrighted material is not allowed here. If the book is under copyright you will need to use the ScrambleEbook plugin to obfuscate the text before posting.)
Old 10-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #1124
ssda
ssda began at the beginning.

"Error","Kindle conversion has encountered an internal error."

thank you for your reply jhowell.

i tried Frankenstein. It doesnt work either.
i tried uninstalling and installing again,that didnt work. i dont think issue is about books formatting. Ive tried books that converted well before.They dont convert now. And i cant load a single book to previewer 3. I dont understand.
ssda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #1125
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssda View Post
thank you for your reply jhowell.

i tried Frankenstein. It doesnt work either.
i tried uninstalling and installing again,that didnt work. i dont think issue is about books formatting. Ive tried books that converted well before.They dont convert now. And i cant load a single book to previewer 3. I dont understand.
One thing to try is to disable your antivirus software if you are using something other than Windows Defender.

Other than that I don't have any suggestions on how to solve this problem. Sorry.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine