Notices

Old 09-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
Woodssi
Enthusiast
Woodssi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2)
Merged Book, now won't Split...

Hi all,

I have merged a Title (.html) to carry out some basic grammar and punctuation amendments.
Having reinserted the Split Markers, when I now select the Edit option I get the following message:-

"Cannot split since at least one file may not be an HTML file"

The file is named as ***.html (and I haven't done anything to consciously change it), so I don't know where this error has occured.

Anyone seen this before, or can tell me where I may have gone wrong?
Woodssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
A few thoughts:

Sigil can do spellchecking and find and replace across files without any need to merge things first. That said, this issue generally comes when a file with an ".xml" extension is not properly identified by media type. So here are some things to look at:

- Are you sure you have used ".html" as the file extension? Perhaps an embedded character or space got involved somehow? You could try renaming the file to be sure.

- How does the current OPF (content.opf) show that one file in its manifest? What media-type and exact name does it have?

- Are there any other files in the manifest that are ".xml" and NOT .html or .xhtml? If so what media-type do they have?

- If you do have ".xml" files, try removing them **after** saving them to files first so you do not lose anything, and try splitting again.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-23-2021 at 09:16 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
Woodssi
Enthusiast

Hi Kevin,

I admit that I'm a bit lost when it comes to the 'gubbins' of these books.
It is, however, the first time that I've seen this particular error, (having done similar with the majority of my book library).

I've attached the opf file for perusal.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf copyof.opf.rtf (5.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 09-23-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Rename "cover.xml" to "cover.html"
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:06 AM   #5
Woodssi
Enthusiast

And, just like that, the issue is resolved.