Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #1
kdusr
Connoisseur
kdusr began at the beginning.

Device: KOA, KV, KOA2,PW4,PW5
force the E-ink screen to refresh??

I'm working on a kindle info display app, however I'm having trouble with screen afterimage on the kindle when the text is updated. Is there any com.lab126 or Linux command that will force the E-ink screen to refresh?
kdusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Code:
eips ''
or
Code:
fbink -s
Some recalcitrant kindles might need:

Code:
fbink -f -s
(The -f does a flash to black before refreshing.)

Last edited by j.p.s; 09-20-2021 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Add -f option to fbink command.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
kdusr
Connoisseur
kdusr began at the beginning.

Device: KOA, KV, KOA2,PW4,PW5
thanks J.P.S,
eips ' ' works on my kindle, but I can not find "fbink" command on KOA, KO2 and PW4

Last edited by kdusr; 09-20-2021 at 10:14 PM.
kdusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's bundled with USBNet (and, well, itself ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdusr View Post
thanks J.P.S,
eips ' ' works on my kindle
When I wrote my post, I didn't have access to my kindle with heavy ghosting. I tried it this morning and eips '' had no effect, nor did fbink -s

When I ran
fbink -f -s
it worked perfectly. Maybe some firmware version and model combinations need an extra shove.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You do need `-f` to request a flash (everywhere) .

Otherwise, the default waveform mode (and every mode that's not a `GCn`, for that matter) will not even touch pixels that haven't changed since the last refresh.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You do need `-f` to request a flash (everywhere) .

Otherwise, the default waveform mode (and every mode that's not a `GCn`, for that matter) will not even touch pixels that haven't changed since the last refresh.
I'm sure it's because of some shortcoming on my part, but it just doesn't come through to me while staring at the --refresh documentation in https://github.com/NiLuJe/FBInk/blob/master/CLI.md that --flash is required for anything to happen for cases when there is no change to the framebuffer.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's because it doesn't say that outright . It's already a giant wall of text, so it's assuming the reader has a basic understanding of the technicalities involved in stuff that isn't directly related to the behavior of the CLI itself and/or of FBInk itself.

The API doc, on the other hand, delves into the guts of things (e.g., this would be the relevant bit, as well as the bit about AUTO that explains that flash + AUTO means GC16 in FBInk. There are even more details about that particular design choice in the code .)).

When in doubt, check the API doc, it's much more detailed, and much better contextualized .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-20-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Tags
pw4