Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-15-2021, 04:11 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not use <pre>. If the lines are long enough, and the font large enough, the text will not wrap in some cases.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
It's been discussed hundreds of times before by Hitch.

Don't force the constraints of the Print design onto the Ebook.
God, I'd (happily) forgotten that thread. Probably some form of denial. Deliberate forgetting.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:37 PM   #18
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do not use <pre>. If the lines are long enough, and the font large enough, the text will not wrap in some cases.

It's not for paragraphs of prose. It's for PRE-formatted text: where you explicitly put in every linebreak.
The use here is probably for a few words of "output":
Enter password:_
and the like.

But if you might use longer lines, you can also allow wrapping by defining:

pre {white-space: pre-wrap;}
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:25 AM   #19
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I agree with JSWolf in this case.

I wouldn't rely on <pre>. Too many readers overflow off the edge of the screen (don't linebreak properly), especially when raising font sizes or reading on skinny screens, etc.

Just rely on simple <p> or <span>, then apply the monospace font to them:

Code:
<p class="terminal">I AM A HUMAN.</p>

<p class="terminal">I AM NOT A ROBOT.</p>
over:

Code:
<pre>I AM A HUMAN.

I AM NOT A ROBOT.</pre>
Back in the 80s/90s, there was a lot of HTML also buried in pre-formatted HTML (manual "justification")... let me tell you, it does not age well on the transfer to modern ebooks/readers.

Note: In ebooks, the only place <pre> + <code> might be acceptable is actual code blocks (like pasting actual C++ or Java code)... but even there, if I was creating the ebook, I'd likely rely on <p> or images for better compatibility.

(Luckily, I haven't had to do that often. The SINGLE programming book I did create code blocks for, I generated PDFs + SVGs + PNGs of the entire syntax-highlighted code block, inserted in the ebook as an image, then linked to the actual github code. It's a formatting mess that I wouldn't wish on anybody.)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-18-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:17 AM   #20
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I agree with JSWolf in this case.

I wouldn't rely on <pre>.
I didn't say "rely on pre".
That was just the simplest way to do it.

He ignored the rest of my post, which is his SOP.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:23 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I didn't say "rely on pre".
That was just the simplest way to do it.

He ignored the rest of my post, which is his SOP.
I didn't ignore the rest of your post. I just pulled out the one suggestion that's not a good idea because it doesn't work in too many cases.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:20 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd not use <pre>; I'd use an explicit paragraph style.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd not use <pre>; I'd use an explicit paragraph style.
Eh...the problem with that is nothing really "locks in" (no punny irony intended) the look/feel and alignment of text like PRE. You can go for monospace, but still, that's not preformatted.

At least, that's my experience with it. FWIW. I'm sure that there's some mad CSS out there that would prove me wrong.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote