Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
meditateauthor
meditateauthor began at the beginning.

Device: iBook
Pulling my hair out: reference not found and src path errors

Hi,
Thank you in advance for reading and responding.
I have an ePub file that gave me an error value of attribute 'src' error for file-160. I fixed that error by adding '../' in front of the image path. Now, it gives me resources not found for the image. I have verified that the image has exact same name in the image folder.
In addition, the same error now shows up on another file - file-106. It makes no sense. Please see below the exact errors. Thanks again for your help.

NOTE: I am trying to upload this on Smashwords. Amazon KDP upload works fine.

ERROR(RSC-005): OEBPS/Shortcut_to_Spirituatlity_main_file-106.xhtml(27, 111): Error while parsing file: value of attribute "src" is invalid; must be a URI
ERROR(RSC-007): OEBPS/Shortcut_to_Spirituatlity_main_file-160.xhtml(38, 103): Referenced resource 'image/Easy_Pose.png' could not be found in the EPUB.
ERROR(RSC-007): OEBPS/Shortcut_to_Spirituatlity_main_file-160.xhtml(35, 99): Referenced resource 'image/Knees.png' could not be found in the EPUB.
ERROR(RSC-007): OEBPS/Shortcut_to_Spirituatlity_main_file-106.xhtml(12, 99): Referenced resource 'image/icon1.png' could not be found in the EPUB.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Shortcut to Spirituatlity for Apple.epub (17.45 MB, 180 views)
meditateauthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Case matters. Is the folder name actually "Image" as opposed to "image"?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Foozle
Connoisseur
Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Having taken a look at the book, the sources are referencing the wrong path. Those particular lines in those files have "../image/" when it should just be "/image/". Correct those, and those errors should be solved.
Foozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
meditateauthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Case matters. Is the folder name actually "Image" as opposed to "image"?
Thank you so much.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #5
meditateauthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozle View Post
Having taken a look at the book, the sources are referencing the wrong path. Those particular lines in those files have "../image/" when it should just be "/image/". Correct those, and those errors should be solved.
Thanks. That did the trick! Appreciate your help.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One other issue is the image file called 31452_[Converted]-01.png will trigger the "value of attribute "src" is invalid; must be a URI". Otherwise, removing the ../ from the image references corrected the other errors. Renaming it to 31452_Converted-01.png and making sure the change appeared in the xhtml file corrected that error.

That this is a fixed layout epub is a bit of pain when trying to view it in most programs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
meditateauthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One other issue is the image file called 31452_[Converted]-01.png will trigger the "value of attribute "src" is invalid; must be a URI". Otherwise, removing the ../ from the image references corrected the other errors. Renaming it to 31452_Converted-01.png and making sure the change appeared in the xhtml file corrected that error.

That this is a fixed layout epub is a bit of pain when trying to view it in most programs.
Thank you. Yes the fixed layout has it's own challenges!
Old 08-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meditateauthor View Post
Thank you. Yes the fixed layout has it's own challenges!
Are you uploading Fixed-layout to Smashwords?

For that matter, are you uploading a fixed-layout ebook in ePUB format to Amazon?

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
meditateauthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Are you uploading Fixed-layout to Smashwords?

For that matter, are you uploading a fixed-layout ebook in ePUB format to Amazon?

Hitch
Yes Hitch. I have uploaded as fixed layout for both Amazon and Smashwords. Only reason I added Smashwords was that the Kindle App on iPad didn't look good. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Fixed layout is only for bigger than 7" tablets or paper and only when the content can't work without it.

I'd never buy a fixed layout book for an ereader.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meditateauthor View Post
Yes Hitch. I have uploaded as fixed layout for both Amazon and Smashwords. Only reason I added Smashwords was that the Kindle App on iPad didn't look good. Thanks.
HOW, exactly, did you build this fixed-layout ePUB that you uploaded to Amazon? If you made that with InDesign, it won't work at KDP, not at all.

Hitch
Old 08-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
HOW, exactly, did you build this fixed-layout ePUB that you uploaded to Amazon? If you made that with InDesign, it won't work at KDP, not at all.

Hitch
I see that this book is listed for presale on Amazon: Shortcut To Serenity: A Practical Guide To Developing A Peaceful Mind Through Meditation

I am surprised that Amazon didn't have a problem with the note that the author placed in the book's description:

Quote:
NOTE: If you plan to read the book on your iPad or iPhone, please do not purchase a Kindle version. For the best reading experience, please purchase from iBooks (Apple Books).
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I see that this book is listed for presale on Amazon: Shortcut To Serenity: A Practical Guide To Developing A Peaceful Mind Through Meditation

I am surprised that Amazon didn't have a problem with the note that the author placed in the book's description:
Well, I suspect that answers my question. If he uploaded an INDD file, (which is the only reason that someone would say "go to iBooks,") boy, is he in for a surprise when he opens the final eBook on Amazon.

I cannot tell you how many people ignore what I tell them and go ahead and upload a FXL ePUB made by InDesign and sure as hell, it kablooies (barfs) all over, as it doesn't/can't support the tracking, learning and leading that's designed, after all, for an iPad. And they go ahead, smug in their self-righteous knowledge that their print designer "gave me everything I need," and then, sure as hell, in 7-10 days, they're back on my doorstep, having either a) seen the result ro b) worse, gotten a bad review because the result was horrible. Must happen...near-weekly at my shop.

Amazon won't allow that "buy it on iBooks" text to stand. You can bet your booties that it will be found by the bots shortly and nuked. Moreover, there's no reason for it, unless someone REALLY screwed up the coding on a fixed-layout ebook that was made by hand (not from INDD).

And to top it all off, what sort of ebook formatter would tell this guy to view a MOBI on his K4iPad, anyway, instead of giving him an AZK?

This is a tragedy of errors, as far as I can see.

Hitch