Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-22-2021, 04:36 AM   #1
Bluesnowan
Bluesnowan began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone/tablet win 10 pc
sub group Genre to calibre companion

All of my library in the main Calibre is organized by Genre custom sub group.

Is there a way to transfer said tiered grouping to my tablet with calibre companion that I am missing I did a little searching but didn't really find anything.

Please help or point me where to look.
Bluesnowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:02 AM   #2
Uhuru N'Uru
Uhuru N'Uru began at the beginning.

Device: None
Calibre Companion doesn't do that

As far as I can tell, but I'm no expert, never used Calibre on anything except my PC, but I have manipulated entire Calibre Libraries, and the process is the same.

CC's entire reason for existing appears to be to wirelessly access the internal contents, of an existing Library stored on another device in the cloud (including your PC, which is "in the cloud", but only when on your local network).

You want to transfer an entire library to your Tablet, so you can access it directly when that local network is unavailable.

Transferring an entire Library, is easy enough to do Manually, assuming you have some means of transferring files/folders from your PC to the Tablet.

USB works just fine for android phones, so should for your Tablet, even wireless should work, and already be set up if you're using CC to access the library.

I strongly recommend using USB, as it removes unnecessary networking complications from the entire process

See this Calibre FAQ on transferring your Library folder to another Computer, and accessing it with Calibre installed on that computer.

How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?

It's pretty straight forward wired, once you set your Tablet to permit USB connections, your PC should see the entire file folder structure like it would for any drive connected via USB.

Older Android devices have a system section under settings, but for newer ones it only pops up as a notification after a USB connection is made.

Once the USB is plugged into your PC, and Tablet you should get a notification, about System USB connections, click on it, to see further options.

You need set it to allow file transfer, and if offered the choice, give the PC control, as it's always easier to do file management on the PC.
Uhuru N'Uru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
Uhuru N'Uru
Uhuru N'Uru began at the beginning.

Device: None
To Clarify

Seeing as I can't edit my post after a mere five minutes, without Admin permission (Dumb idea, I'm just making another post instead, not waiting for permission to add a further help.

The last point, could imply the PC will not get control, when the choice is absent, I want to clarify PC control is the default, on my phone, which doesn't offer a choice.

The S10 phone (for example) adds a choice to give your phone control instead, so also needs an option to set it back to PC.
Uhuru N'Uru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to Calibre Companion forum
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnowan View Post
All of my library in the main Calibre is organized by Genre custom sub group.

Is there a way to transfer said tiered grouping to my tablet with calibre companion that I am missing I did a little searching but didn't really find anything.

Please help or point me where to look.
CC on Android supports one level of hierarchy. To enable this, first ensure that the Genre column is showing in CC's grouping drawer (Settings / Grouping Drawer / Group/sort on custom columns, select the genre column). Next tell CC that Genre is hierarchical (Settings / Grouping Drawer / Hierarchical Groups). Finally, ensure that "Group by first letters" is selected for Genre in the Grouping drawer.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert