Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Amazon Kindle - show pages left in chapter?

is there a way to get my Amazon Kindle to show page left in chapter? rather than time left.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 07-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
is there a way to get my Amazon Kindle to show page in left chapter? rather than time left.
What information is shown in the lower left corner has varied with the firmware version.

Touch the lower left corner -
With each touch it will step to the next available display setting -
Stop when you have it the way you like.
Or at least as close to what you like as the choices allow.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What information is shown in the lower left corner has varied with the firmware version.

Touch the lower left corner -
With each touch it will step to the next available display setting -
Stop when you have it the way you like.
Or at least as close to what you like as the choices allow.
thanks for the tip unfortunately page left in chapter isn't an option.

best wishes koboy
Old 07-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks for the tip unfortunately page left in chapter isn't an option.

best wishes koboy
Try a different firmware version.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Try a different firmware version.
i would do if i knew for a fact which if any older firmware as the page left in chapter option.

best wishes koboy
Advert
Old 07-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Pages left in chapter has never been an option on kindles. You can only have time left in chapter. Not pages, not locations. Or just locations/pages. If pages are available at all, not all books have them.

But never for left in chapter or left in book. It uses that as a time measurement based on how fast one reads.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Pages left in chapter has never been an option on kindles. You can only have time left in chapter. Not pages, not locations. Or just locations/pages. If pages are available at all, not all books have them.

But never for left in chapter or left in book. It uses that as a time measurement based on how fast one reads.
that's what i thought thank you for the confirmation. i'm so used to having the option on my Kobo i was hoping the Kindle would do the same, oh well win some lose some

best wishes koboy
Old 07-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Even if they had this option, I wonder what it would mean. Amazon only has page numbers on some books and when they do they are supposed to match up with the pages in a specific print edition.

Do you want to know how many Kindle screens of content are left in the chapter or how many pages would be left in the chapter if you were reading the print equivalent of the book?
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #9
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Even if they had this option, I wonder what it would mean. Amazon only has page numbers on some books and when they do they are supposed to match up with the pages in a specific print edition.

Do you want to know have many Kindle screens of content are left in the chapter or how many pages would be left in the chapter if you were reading the print equivalent of the book?
say chapter 1 as 50 pages with the Kobo i can set it to show pages left in chapter so it shows page 1 of 50 then page 2 of 50 and so on till page 50 of 50 then onto the next chapter.

or i can set it to show pages in entire book which would show page 1 of 500 page 2 of 500 until page 500 of 500.

best wishes koboy
Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
that's what i thought thank you for the confirmation. i'm so used to having the option on my Kobo i was hoping the Kindle would do the same, oh well win some lose some

best wishes koboy
It is a math test on the Kindle.

With book open -
Tap lower left corner until page number is displayed -
Tap top margin -
Tap go to -
Subtract your current page number from the page number of the next chapter (next page number greater than you are on).

On == 546
Next chapter at == 558
I have 12 pages left in current chapter (if reading the printed book).

If you have a book without page numbers and/or without a chapter listing by page number -
Then the option you want probably wouldn't work for that book anyway.

Last edited by knc1; 07-02-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
It is a math test on the Kindle.

With book open -
Tap lower left corner until page number is displayed -
Tap top margin -
Tap go to -
Subtract your current page number from the page number of the next chapter (next page number greater than you are on).

On == 546
Next chapter at == 558
I have 12 pages left in current chapter (if reading the printed book).

If you have a book without page numbers and/or without a chapter listing by page number -
Then the option you want probably wouldn't work for that book anyway.
seen as i can't have page left in chapter i will stick with time left in chapter that's much easier for me.

best wishes koboy
Old 07-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I do some reading with Moon+ reader on my phone when I'm away from my Kindle and it has a page number option that shows total screens in chapter and number of screens already read. That gives you a pretty good idea of where you are in the chapter.

Of course if you change fonts or line spacing or margins these numbers change. That makes it difficult if you're always changing the layout but for people like me who rarely do this I think it's the most rational plan I've seen.

Moon+ should never have been named Moon+. It should have been called Rational Reader or some such.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I do some reading with Moon+ reader on my phone when I'm away from my Kindle and it has a page number option that shows total screens in chapter and number of screens already read. That gives you a pretty good idea of where you are in the chapter.
- - - - -
That sounds like a very reasonable solution to the problem of "Where am I".

And I bet they fired the programmer that thought it up.
Too easy to use and understand.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #14
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Of course if you change fonts or line spacing or margins these numbers change. That makes it difficult if you're always changing the layout but for people like me who rarely do this I think it's the most rational plan I've seen.

Moon+ should never have been named Moon+. It should have been called Rational Reader or some such.

Barry
That's how Kobos count the "pages in chapter" that Koboy was referring to. This only works in "Kepub" files not ePubs. If you set the Kobo to show pages left in the book, it defaults to the Adobe page numbering system--but for kePubs by chapter it shows screen counts--which will change when you change the font size. I like seeing the screen count as it gives me a good idea of how long I have left in the chapter. Personally, I like it better than Kindle's "Time left in Chapter". And it's trivial to convert ePubs to kePub when trnasferring books to my Kobo readers.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Interesting. I did try converting epub to Kepub on my Kobo Aura (the original Aura) and I had some problems but I don't recall what they were. I don't think I was aware of those paging features. Maybe I'll give that another try and check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote