Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
fussygoat
fussygoat began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Deleting original ebooks after adding to Calibre library

Hi,

I've been using Calibre for quite some time now only as a way to upload ebooks onto a mobile device. Recently I've decided to catalog all my ebooks, audio books and comic books, and found out that I could do it with Calibre. Great! I have 2 questions though,
1. When Calibre adds an ebook to its library, does it simply copy the ebook and create additional files (metadata and cover) onto another folder so that the ebook in the library is an exact copy of the original (no modifications)?

2. Is it safe then to delete the original ebooks once I've added them to Calibre's library? I want to free up some space on my hard drive so I'm planning to retain just the ebooks on the library.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fussygoat View Post
Hi,

I've been using Calibre for quite some time now only as a way to upload ebooks onto a mobile device. Recently I've decided to catalog all my ebooks, audio books and comic books, and found out that I could do it with Calibre. Great! I have 2 questions though,
1. When Calibre adds an ebook to its library, does it simply copy the ebook and create additional files (metadata and cover) onto another folder so that the ebook in the library is an exact copy of the original (no modifications)?

2. Is it safe then to delete the original ebooks once I've added them to Calibre's library? I want to free up some space on my hard drive so I'm planning to retain just the ebooks on the library.

Thanks in advance!

Hard drives can go bad without warning
Malware can get past protections
Backups can end up corrupt before you discover that fact.
Your 'cloud' service goes belly up.

Define 'Safe'

Why not archive the 'Originals' to DVD/CD and store carefully, OFF SITE, on higher ground, not in a tornado/Fires path, away from a volcano...

You really can not have too many (managed) backups
Advert
Old 10-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
fussygoat
fussygoat began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Thanks for reminding me about backing up on DVD/CD. Earlier, I was really set on deleting the original files as soon as I confirm that the ebooks in the library are exact copies of the originals. All I was thinking of was not having duplicate copies and freeing up disk space
Old 11-02-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
spiralmind4
spiralmind4 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I've faced this dilemma myself, fussygoat. What I decided to do is keep multiple backups of my original files as well as multiple backups of my library (on separate media of course). If I ever have an issue with my library (I doubt it) I can always go back to my originals.

Also, I've lightly compared the copied library file with the original source file and see no difference. I suspect it is just being renamed, although I did not do any sort of detailed analysis.

Last edited by spiralmind4; 11-02-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That's been my motto since 1980 when my roommate deleted my 6 hour long class paper instead of saving it. It was not fun to recreate.
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fussygoat View Post
Thanks for reminding me about backing up on DVD/CD. Earlier, I was really set on deleting the original files as soon as I confirm that the ebooks in the library are exact copies of the originals. All I was thinking of was not having duplicate copies and freeing up disk space
DVDs and CDs go bad, too. I had a whole batch go belly up. Bad news, very bad news. Fortunately I had other backups.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've been saving my original purchases, mostly in the event I ever really purchase a Kindle (although it's very unlikely). Books are then added into my Calibre Library, and that library is backed up on 5 hard drives between 3 PCs and a netbook. It's also in 3 places in cloud storage. I really should just delete all original purchases at this point, but ebooks really take up so little room, another 4GB gained if I do delete the original purchases isn't going to matter in my instance.

As far as DVD storage goes, the quality of the media used is the important factor in how long they'll last. And of course don't expose them to high heat, humidity, handle only around the edges so you don't get oils and acids from your fingers on them. Burn at slower speeds for best success. I've got some close to 20 years that still play just fine. Here's a good read about blank media quality to use for reference if you're unsure which to buy. I only use Verbatim DVDs and I have never had one fail yet. I bought some Memorex on sale once and never again, a lot of them wouldn't even burn correctly. I just wait until I see the Verbatims on sale and buy a 100 spindle.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is also this handy tutorial for incremental backing up of timestamped instances of you calibre library (or other files, really) for file backup which can then be synced to multiple hard drives for physical media backup.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244228

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-08-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
There is also this handy tutorial for incremental backing up of timestamped instances of you calibre library (or other files, really) for file backup which can then be synced to multiple hard drives for physical media backup.
Did you forget the link? This sounds like something I'd like to get organized...too many of my backups are here and there that I've actually forgotten where they are at this point.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Did you forget the link? This sounds like something I'd like to get organized...too many of my backups are here and there that I've actually forgotten where they are at this point.
Whoops.

I added the link, above.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Note that the tutorial uses rsync, a linux and OSX utility.

However, you should be able to make it work with a minimum of fuss on Windows using DeltaCopy or Cygwin or some other source for rsync compiled on Windows.

(As well as changing the bash syntax to a batch file.)

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-08-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
SyncToy works extremely well on Windows systems.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

And a few other programs as well. FreeFileSync is popular here on MobileRead. But all those use GUIs, and I naturally gravitate toward scripted solutions (which can be embeddded in calibre startup scripts), being a linux guy.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And a few other programs as well. FreeFileSync is popular here on MobileRead. But all those use GUIs, and I naturally gravitate toward scripted solutions (which can be embeddded in calibre startup scripts), being a linux guy.
FreeFileSync is a terrific program, does everything you could possibly want. I have it set as a task to run nightly to sync certain files to the other drives, including my Calibre Library.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #15
Userin
Userin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hard drives can go bad without warning
Malware can get past protections
Backups can end up corrupt before you discover that fact.
Your 'cloud' service goes belly up.

Define 'Safe'

Why not archive the 'Originals' to DVD/CD and store carefully, OFF SITE, on higher ground, not in a tornado/Fires path, away from a volcano...

I was browsing the internet in search for an answer to the same question and somehow found this thread. Having read it, I registered an account to humbly present you with a prize as in my lifelong adventure with text I have never seen an answer to a question that would be as useless as yours. I still have no idea whether I can delete the duplicate from Calibre or not, but at least I had the pleasure of reading the response from fussygoat who told you in the most polite way possible where you can put this completely uncalled for advice of yours.
Closed Thread