Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
Anyway to make calibre epub viewer show the same format as device

Is there anyway to make the calibre epub viewer display the same format as on a device? If I have a Kobo Glo, can I get the same formatting if I open an epub in Calibre? Or if I have an android device, can I force Calibre to open an epub, with the same formatting,as if it had opened it on an Android device?

I think I know what relies I will get, but, here is hoping.

Thanks,in advance, as always.
mahal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal48 View Post
Is there anyway to make the calibre epub viewer display the same format as on a device? If I have a Kobo Glo, can I get the same formatting if I open an epub in Calibre? Or if I have an android device, can I force Calibre to open an epub, with the same formatting,as if it had opened it on an Android device?

I think I know what relies I will get, but, here is hoping.

Thanks,in advance, as always.
The Viewer Is EPUB.
Any other format is converted on the fly to show in the viewer.

Devices control how a book is shown.
Android is not a format. Android is not a device.

You can set the 'preferred' format in Preferences: Behavior
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

I know Android is not a format and I know Android is not a device.
agreed but using the epub viewer in calibre displays the epub differently to how it is displayed on my Kobo Glo and on my android device. Is there anyway to use the epub viewer of Calibre to display the epub as it shows on a specific device?
Old 01-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know Android is not a format and I know Android is not a device.
agreed but using the epub viewer in calibre displays the epub differently to how it is displayed on my Kobo Glo and on my android device. Is there anyway to use the epub viewer of Calibre to display the epub as it shows on a specific device?
NO
You can make the view window similar in size and Aspect. Use the same zoom level.

If you want to see Emulation, It is best to get the manufacturers Emulator and:
Set up a Open With (plugin setting) for alternate viewing using <specific> viewer.

Calibre does have a 'Behavior' Setting to use Internal or OS (supported) viewers for each format type
Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is there any way to get the specific device to display the epub the way it's shown on calibre?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Is there any way to get the specific device to display the epub the way it's shown on calibre?
Image only books
Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Image only books
And funnily enough, that answers the other question, too!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
mahal48
Connoisseur

OK I thought I knew the answer before I asked.
And now I am even more confused lol. I have never heard of Emulation and manufacturers Emulator. In words of one syllable, or even better, do you have a link I can read about this?

I don't understand the "'Behavior' Setting to use Internal or OS (supported) viewers for each format type." statement/ Or maybe I do and because it is Sunday evening here I ahouldn't be doing this.

Last edited by mahal48; 01-26-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I've heard good things about BlueStacks.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
mahal48
Connoisseur

Bluestacks is about running mobile apps on a PC, if I remember correctly, I don't want to do that. All I want to do is make the Calibre epub viewer display an epub the same as it would appear on a Kobo or Android.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calibre uses "WebKit", which renders ePub books rather differently to the way that the Adobe viewer on most eInk devices does. Nothing you can do about that; ePub books aren't intended to look exactly the same on all devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
mahal48
Connoisseur

Thanks HarryT, as always, a succinct and useful answer from you. many thanks.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Bluestacks is about running mobile apps on a PC, if I remember correctly, I don't want to do that. All I want to do is make the Calibre epub viewer display an epub the same as it would appear on a Kobo or Android.
And you do that by *running* Android as an Open With function for calibre.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
OK I thought I knew the answer before I asked.
And now I am even more confused lol. I have never heard of Emulation and manufacturers Emulator. In words of one syllable, or even better, do you have a link I can read about this?

I don't understand the "'Behavior' Setting to use Internal or OS (supported) viewers for each format type." statement/ Or maybe I do and because it is Sunday evening here I ahouldn't be doing this.
Go to Kobo
Go to Amazon (Kindle)
Go to Sony (IIRC they use Adobe DE)
Go to Adobe (Digital Editions)
Did you read the description on the Preferences:Behavior?
Seemed clear to me internal-viewer = Ebook-viewer.exe
Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
mahal48
Connoisseur

Yes I have gone to Preferences-Behaviour. I can see the "use internal viewer for:" option. So now I do understand the use internal viewer thing. Still have no idea what Emulation refers to, since that word does not appear there.