Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #91
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcmdrx View Post
Ok so im having a hard time connecting via ssh.

Im using Putty on windows 7 and it lets me type root , i press enter anter the pass mario and it will say access denied.

I tried using the Xterm but it tells me runme.sh is not found ( even though i copied it into the device )

All the steps before i think i have done fine because i can rotate the screen and i have the launcher menu but it doesnt apply to the web browser.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: tried using framework Mario and work but because its not root account wont let me do the commands.
You can set root password to whatever you want:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
you can reset your password on kindle's search box with a command like this:
Code:
;un password <new root password>
Also, it seems that you tried to enable SSH over wifi. You don't need this, because you connect via USB network. You have to copy sftp-server to your device and continue with steps above.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #92
dlcmdrx
dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Ok thanks, i think i got it, i had to put the ;un password "new pass" while being usbnetworked and putty connected.

Now im trying to type the commands And this is where i have come up to so far:

Quote:
login as: root
root@192.168.0.13's password:
[root@kindle root]# mntroot rw
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
[root@kindle root]# mv sftp-server /usr/libexec/sftp-server ln -s /usr/lib/libcr
ypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
mv: invalid option -- 's'
BusyBox v1.17.1 (2012-04-04 20:02:59 PDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: mv [OPTIONS] SOURCE DEST
or: mv [OPTIONS] SOURCE... DIRECTORY

Rename SOURCE to DEST, or move SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY

Options:
-f Don't prompt before overwriting
-i Interactive, prompt before overwrite

[root@kindle root]# login as: root
Password:
BusyBox v1.17.1 (2012-04-04 20:02:59 PDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: mv [OPTIONS] SOURCE DEST
or: mv [OPTIONS] SOURCE... DIRECTORY

Rename SOURCE to DEST, or move SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY

Options:
-f Don't prompt before overwriting
-i Interactive, prompt before overwrite

[root@kindle root]#

And there is where i am at.

I dont have the /mnt/us/ In my computer so the sftp-server is on the main directory of the kindles drive

Thanks for the help im a total ignorant in computer programming and sorry for all the hassle.

Last edited by dlcmdrx; 07-18-2012 at 02:05 PM.
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #93
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Ok thanks, i think i got it, i had to put the ;un password "new pass" while being usbnetworked and putty connected.

Now im trying to type the commands And this is where i have come up to so far:

And there is where i am at.

I dont have the /mnt/us/ In my computer so the sftp-server is on the main directory of the kindles drive

Thanks for the help im a total ignorant in computer programming and sorry for all the hassle.
It is rather unusual that /mnt/us is not mounted, unless there is some kind of problem.

If you are root, you can mount /mnt/us manually (with 8K offset), as used in the "select boot" data.tar.gz payload. Or even easier, just use the built-in "mntus" script.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #94
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:

If you are totally ignorant of computer programming I'm not sure the mntus command will help you but I have included a USAGE listing for you here.

[root@kindle bin]# mntus
system: W mntus:def:usage: /usr/sbin/mntus [--loop | --fsck] [mount | umount]

Seriously though. check that you really need to do this. seems weirdness.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #95
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
*NO* camera? You can get USB web cams on ebay (Buy It Now) price for less that $4USD (including shipping).
I can happily report that after sadly losing the data cable for the lovely 8Mpix Video Camera, I have now replaced this:

With the Barbie Harumika Fashion Camera! That's right the girl who has everything now come with a mind boggling 400 Pixels resolution free webcam

Well happy days to me... Now.. Barbie Products are core supported in Slackware right?

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #96
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
I had /var/tmp/root as my local directory instead of /mnt/us here.
Maybe problem is this also for this case .

ie using this command may help:
Code:
mntroot rw
mv /mnt/us/sftp-server /usr/libexec/sftp-server
ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
(just like mmatej suggested)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #97
dlcmdrx
dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
[root@kindle bin]# mntus

Seriously though. check that you really need to do this. seems weirdness.
Tried this and this is what i got:

Quote:
[root@kindle root]# mntus
[root@kindle root]# system: W mntus:def:usage: /usr/sbin/mntus [--loop | --fsck]
[mount | umount]
-sh: system:: not found
-sh: --fsck]: not found
-sh: umount]: not found
[root@kindle root]#
Sorry, im totally ignorant in this.

Also, tried again mmatej original

Quote:
mntroot rw
mv /mnt/us/sftp-server /usr/libexec/sftp-server
ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
and got this:

Quote:
login as: root
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
[root@kindle root]# mv /mnt/us/sftp-server /usr/libexec/sftp-server
mv: can't rename '/mnt/us/sftp-server': No such file or directory
[root@kindle root]# ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.
ln: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: File exists
[root@kindle root]#
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #98
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
[root@kindle root]# mv /mnt/us/sftp-server /usr/libexec/sftp-server
mv: can't rename '/mnt/us/sftp-server': No such file or directory
When it says it has failed, that is a good time to stop typing.

When you have a Kindle, connected to another computer, in normal operation the top-most directory of that USB storage area is known as /mnt/us when accessing the kindle by ssh (or other methods).

So that message just told you that sftp-server is not in the top most directory of the "USB storage area".
Fix that before continuing.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #99
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Tried this and this is what i got:

Sorry, im totally ignorant in this.

Also, tried again mmatej original

and got this:
For first part to be done successfully, you need to copy the sftp-server binary to the root folder of the Kindle storage (i.e. no subfolders) - download it here - it's already unpacked, just transfer it. The second error is okay. It means the symlink is there.

Last edited by mmatej; 07-18-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #100
dlcmdrx

Ok, i think i did that correctly... now... for total noobness in this im gonna ask the question:

What do you mean when you say connect to stfp??

Also when i connect should the command be like this?

Quote:
<script type="text/javascript">src="../shared/js/wafjs.js"></script>
Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #101
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ok, i think i did that correctly... now... for total noobness in this im gonna ask the question:

What do you mean when you say connect to stfp??

Also when i connect should the command be like this?
Download and install WinSCP, connect to 192.168.15.244 and change the files /opt/var/local/waf/browser/index.html and /var/local/waf/browser/index.html:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
add the following line after the "<script type="text/javascript" src="../shared/js/wafjs.js"></script>"
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">kindle.dev.setOrientation('auto');</script>
Old 07-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #102
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
Can we change these files without problems?
Most of the .html files have a MD5 sum stored somewhere.
The Kindle could use that and think, that its bricked or that it needs to update the OS, because the file is "broken".
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #103
dlcmdrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
Download and install WinSCP, connect to 192.168.15.244 and change the files /opt/var/local/waf/browser/index.html and /var/local/waf/browser/index.html:
Im really helpfull for your help, i probably wont have problems changing those files but i cant seem to figure out how to connect with winscp, it says Network error: connection timed out.

i downloaded the program i assume its also on port 22 and i use root as login and password as the same as for shsh connection??

Also, does usbnetwork has to be on or off??

If you want me to i can open a new threadin a non developers forum and continue there, i dont want to derail this one from its main purpose.

Last edited by dlcmdrx; 07-19-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #104
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Im really helpfull for your help, i probably wont have problems changing those files but i cant seem to figure out how to connect with winscp, it says Network error: connection timed out.

i downloaded the program i assume its also on port 22 and i use root as login and password as the same as for shsh connection??

Also, does usbnetwork has to be on or off??

If you want me to i can open a new threadin a non developers forum and continue there, i dont want to derail this one from its main purpose.
Yes, you need to have usbnet turned on, connected to the computer, and you need to mount root r/w (issue mntroot rw in SSH). Password is the same (SFTP is SSH subsystem).
Also, as MaPePeR said, there are checksums of several files and they are being compared as a part of update process. You should undo steps above before updating your firmware (i.e mntroot rw, remove that symlink, and revert changes made to the files in WinSCP.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #105
dlcmdrx

I opened a new thread, someone that is programing dsaavy probably has more than enopugh info for the issue at hand.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185454

We can continue there if you dont mind.

Last edited by dlcmdrx; 07-19-2012 at 04:18 PM.