Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
ePub best examples?

Hey all,

Been lurking and gleaning lots of info for a while now but I have a question; could we have a post with ePub examples of things? (Like ePub X is a good example of X coding to achieve X effect)

For example my most recent thing was I wanted to do an ePub with multiple "Books" and then those books would have "Chapters" but I wasn't sure how to do this in the ToC where the chapters were children of the book. While the CSS/HTML code example post is great it is for more detailed stuff. I keep seeing people say the best way to learn is to find an ePub doing what you want to do and learn directly from how they did it...I totally agree but how do I know where to find an ePub showing what I want to do?!? Just randomly download a bunch of ePubs and hope you come across it somewhere? So that's what I would like to have a topic on; This ePub is a good example of X. There is some of that in the CSS/HTML post but its really hard to navigate and find what you want...so maybe something like the "CSS how to" page would be better.

So for my example I found an example of what I wanted to do; have "Book1" with child "Chapter 1" ect then "Book2" with child "Chapter 1" ect in my copy of "White Fang" by Jack London (from FeedBooks) that was already in my library. (but is it a GOOD example of how to do this? I'm assuming so but you tell me.)

So is there a spot like this somewhere already that I missed? or if not can we create one? Please
Kaylee Skylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, fellow MR member zelda_pinwheel's illustrated version of Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat is a great example of advanced ePub formatting with embedded fonts, visual drop-caps with wraparound text, etc.

Hope this helps and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks ATDrake!

That's definitely a good example. I will check it out especially since I hope to try drop caps and imbedded fonts soon...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
May I suggest The Prince and the Pauper as another example? (I didn't use wrap-around text, because It can't be done to work properly in all situations, like a tall picture in landscape screen.)

Or The Divine Comedy as an example of poetry and multilingual book.

Savage Stories of Conan for a collection of short stories.

Los caprichos for a picture book.

Whether these are good examples or not is not for me to tell, but I certainly think they are
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast

Thanks Jellby!

I'll check those out. I have a nagging feeling I may have downloaded the Prince and Pauper on an other threads recommendation but I'll take a look at the others too.

So we have lots of examples for illustrations and different word wrapping..how about examples of different chapter headings?

Again I love the way that it is done in my White Fang example. It's my favorite so far. I've also browsed the ones at ePub Zen Garden (Noir and Simple are my favs there) but I'm left thinking there must be ways to add a bit more variety than that.
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
argonite
argonite began at the beginning.

Device: opus
Hello, some other interesting samples...

Very advanced SVG, it'a commercial epub but there is a free sample on the right :
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4883

For original chapter headings (and many other stuff) but it is in french language (personnal work)
http://amanuensis.pagesperso-orange....yde_avance.zip
argonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by argonite View Post
Very advanced SVG, it'a commercial epub but there is a free sample on the right:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4883
Quoi? Really a neat book, but it has no SVG at all.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
argonite

You right, my mistake... Well, it should exists another sample version somewhere, because i was very impress some time ago.

Got it ! http://www.lulu.com/shop/noel-langle...t-6561710.html

Sample link is difficult to find on the page, try under the image, "prewiew" link.

Last edited by argonite; 04-19-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I see. I guess they use SVG to get some letter-spacing on a mobile device.

What's about your Jekyll/Hyde ? I like this flow of text around the images (never seen something like this before). Did you publish it somewhere ?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
argonite

Quote:
I like this flow of text around the images (never seen something like this before).
Thanks, i improve it, but the method was originaly found on this forum, some books have use it before.

Exemple of a very good and know one using this method (Three Men in a Boat) :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48377

Quote:
Did you publish it somewhere ?
Don't really understand what you mean, this book is just freely for download (public domain) on my website. By the way if you like it, you can also try the second sample :
Sleeping beauty (in french again)
http://amanuensis.pagesperso-orange....le_dormant.zip
Or go to the main page :
http://amanuensis.pagesperso-orange.fr

Last edited by argonite; 04-19-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
Don't really understand what you mean, this book is just freely for download (public domain) on my website.
That's what I'm asking for. As the OP I'm fond to have a look on books others made, to improve my skills.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast

Thanks argonite!

I took a quick look and I do like your chapter headings example. I'll have to take a closer look at those tomorrow (when I'm hopefully not in an antihistamine haze).
Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee Skylyn View Post
I took a quick look and I do like your chapter headings example.
How do you like this one ?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp head.bmp (55.1 KB, 349 views)
Old 04-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
I see. I guess they use SVG to get some letter-spacing on a mobile device.

What's about your Jekyll/Hyde ? I like this flow of text around the images (never seen something like this before). Did you publish it somewhere ?
Lots of images with text flowing around in the ePub version of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins in the MR library.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast

mmat1 : Hmm, not as fond of that one. Different for sure but maybe a bit to non-traditional for me. Just something about it doesn't work for me. Thanks for sharing though!