Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
How do I know which file was the original between epub and mobi?

I converted a bunch of books from epub to mobi, but I also downloaded original files in both formats. I have some books that I worked with a long time ago and I can not remember if I converted from one format to the other or if I actually downloaded each file type and both are originals... is there a way I can find out which file format of a book was the original or if they are both originals? Thanks!
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You could 'hover' over each format in the Metadata Editor
The timestamp MIGHT give a clue, but don't rely on it.

I use a custom column Mstr Format (fixed list of (format) values+ Multi, Othr for cases that don't fit). I fill this in manually when I add the books
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:37 AM   #3
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, Kindle PaperWhite
I know this won't help now but what I do if I'm buying books from Amazon for instance and download them, I have a SOURCE folder of all my ebooks whether they have DRM or no DRM. I then drag those into Calibre and Calibre then imports it and creates its own folder with that source file.

Sometimes I have done something similar where I've imported a book, converted it, deleted it and then dragged the converted back in so lose the source, so the above workflow for me is great because it means I always have a copy of the original file somewhere.

In terms of how you can determine which is the source, the only way I know of is by date stamp. But if you've done like I have then that may not even be the true source version of the ebook and may be a converted version.
DaveFalcon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:23 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
surely you just go to your amazon account - manage my content and devices- and see what mobi books you bought. If it's not on that list then either you bought the epub instead from another store or you are not asking about paid-for books
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

That's why I download them all into a source folder Stumped. No guarantee that books will ever remain on the Amazon account. Also a year or so on, it's difficult to remember exactly where you purchased a book from. I do the same with music if I purchase from Apple or Amazon, it downloads, I have a script that copies it to a source file then automatically uploads it to Google Play so I have it there available on all devices for the future also.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFalcon73 View Post
That's why I download them all into a source folder Stumped. No guarantee that books will ever remain on the Amazon account. .
???
amazon will never delete cloud copies books you bought - you have to quite deliberately remove them from your cloud , via their web site,and go through at least one are you sure warning.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
???
amazon will never delete cloud copies books you bought - you have to quite deliberately remove them from your cloud , via their web site,and go through at least one are you sure warning.
No, Amazon itself won't, perhaps. But remember, say, Fictionwise? Big ebook seller I bought a lot of stuff from in the early days. Also kept a library for you.

And from the Where-are-they-now department...

Cloud is good. Local backups are even better.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon once sold eBooks before the Kindle. If you bought any from Amazon, they are no longer able to be downloaded.So even Amazon has a history of deleting your eBook library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

I never intended to suggest relying on cloud instead of backups. Just that checking your cloud records is a quick way of establishing your original purchased format. i.e. if it's in your amazon cloud then the original format was not epub.- if not , then it was epub ( unless you also shopped at some other mobi format seller).
e.g. I have a few .mobi format from humble bundle but there's a complete purchases history in my account there, so it's easy to check that.
Unless you have dozens of shopping accounts to check , it''s a quick solution to "what format is the original".
I add an "amazon" tag to any book from amazon that I place in calibre - that's even quicker
Old 09-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #10
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur

Quote:
???
As I said previously, there's no guarantee cloud books will remain in the cloud. There have been quite a few news stories where books have been wiped from Amazon accounts and Amazon accounts been closed due to some form of violation of Amazon TOC's, yet the people with their books wiped or accounts closed believe they haven't.

In the past I used to buy books way back in 2000 from PeanutPress.com which turned into PalmDigitalMedia.com then eReader.com then sold out to B&N and all my 350 books were eventually deleted and I now have no access to any of them.

So yes it is possible that your books might get removed at some point in the future. After all, Amazon's TOC's do say you merely have a license to read the book, you don't own it. So a book can be removed at any point in time if suddenly a publisher decides pull it from the store or Amazon decide to pull it.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:00 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

And as I said previously...
It is not about the merits of cloud storage. The OP asked how to know original format and I said, one possible simple check is look at your amazon account my content. If it is not there then you bought epub from some other store.
The issue that amazon may delete accounts or books 0.00001 % of the time is not relevant to using them to check for purchased formats.

Next time, I will not bother to comment, meanwhile do try to stay on topic

PS For speed, I just go to calibre - find book - open path - view file create date and time for each format in the pop +time up windows explorer window. earliest date = original format. that method probably does not work if you go moving stuff between libraries or transferring libraries to other devices though

Last edited by stumped; 09-16-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
moredrowsy
Connoisseur
moredrowsy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
@Lily7

If you really want to know if your mobi files are the original files (from amazon), then check if the mobi files have the original MOBI-ASIN identifier. Original mobi files will have a 10 letter/number combination (ie, B01B173GA6). Calibre converted mobi files (epub -> mobi or mobi -> mobi) will have a long obscure MOBI-ASIN id like cd29fa12-c4d2-4ca1-96a6-d2ad08d6fee2. You can check the mobi-asin id using kindle unpack and check the content.opf that it extracts.

Or, you can go to your calibre library folder, ctrl+find *.mobi. Select all of it of the .mobi files in the search results and drag/drop to a new calibre library. Check if any has the original mobi-asin id or not and then you'll know which titles are the originals.

Last edited by moredrowsy; 09-16-2016 at 02:12 PM.
moredrowsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #13
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
PS For speed, I just go to calibre - find book - open path - view file create date and time for each format in the pop +time up windows explorer window. earliest date = original format. that method probably does not work if you go moving stuff between libraries or transferring libraries to other devices though
That helped in figuring out which file I had first, which is helpful in it's own right, thank you!

The problem I am still having is, for example I bought and downloaded Harry Potter from Pottermore. I have both the Epub and the Mobi file. The epub file came first, but I can't remember if I merely converted from epub to get the mobi or if I *also* downloaded the mobi format from pottermore too. Any advice?
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
Any advice?
Download MOBIEditor from here - MOBIeditor - jarrin.net

Copy the mobi from the book folder to the desktop (just in case). Run MobiEditor and browse to the mobi on the desktop, if it shows a Contributor with something like "calibre (1.37) [http://calibre-ebook.com]" you have the answer.

BTW that site was the second item in Google Search for "change mobi metadata"

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Download MOBIEditor from here - MOBIeditor - jarrin.net

Copy the mobi from the book folder to the desktop (just in case). Run MobiEditor and browse to the mobi on the desktop, if it shows a Contributor with something like "calibre (1.37) [http://calibre-ebook.com]" you have the answer.

BTW that site was the second item in Google Search for "change mobi metadata"

BR
interesting borderline case

i am not familiar with the pottermore site ordering system but
maybe you bought both formats at the same time - so neither came first - if they do a pay once get all formats deal ?
the pottermore books should look and feel the same in both formats anyway ?