Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Thinking of Starting a Sony Reader Forum?

The Nook & Kindle both have message boards already in the Barnes & Noble and Amazon site while the Sony does not. But what I'm talking about is a specific fan site like this one for Kindle - http://www.kindleboards.com/ and this one for the Nook http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php

I'm trying to garner if their would be an interest for it to promote one of the best readers out there. So give me your opinions.

http://sonyreaderboards.com

Last edited by Lilly; 02-23-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What would it offer that MR does not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What would it offer that MR does not?
An exclusive place to discuss our Sony's. Also sometimes people who are doing searches about their new readers don't know anything about MR. I love MR and this would not a replacement; in fact there would be a direct link to MR. I don't think the Kindleboard & Nookboard takes away anything from MR.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Problem being that Sony didn't pick some daft name for their readers.

Doing a search for "Sony reader forum" does bring you straight here though, but it would otherwise not be too obvious as to where is the best place to go for information and chatting about your new, or potential new, toy.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Really don't see the point. We already have this place, adding a new board will only split the user base as people are less likely to check both. Search engines will try and return both and people will pick one and stick with it. Mobile Reader is pretty firmly established and a new site will have a tough time trying to develop a user base.

And as for me, I do enjoy hearing the opinions of non-Sony owners now and then about their readers, less likely to happen on a Sony-centric web site.

Good luck in your venture should you choose to start a site.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Really don't see the point. We already have this place, adding a new board will only split the user base as people are less likely to check both. Search engines will try and return both and people will pick one and stick with it. Mobile Reader is pretty firmly established and a new site will have a tough time trying to develop a user base.

And as for me, I do enjoy hearing the opinions of non-Sony owners now and then about their readers, less likely to happen on a Sony-centric web site.

Good luck in your venture should you choose to start a site.
It's nice to hear opinions and since I'm just thinking about it, keep them coming.
I have a question for you: Why is that not true of the Kindle & Nook? Do you think that the Sony owners are less passionate about their readers then the other two? The nook Board is a very lively place and the device is very new and they DO have a dedicated Board provided by Barnes & Noble; the same thing could be said about the Kindle since Amazon also provides a dedicated board for the Kindle. Sony has no dedicated board for their reader and yet your opinion is that a 2nd board would divide instead of enhance.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As a free market kind of guy I say sure. If you want to put it out there, why not? If it takes off, then there was a need. If it dies on the vine, then folks don't need it.

I admit I do not see a pressing need for it, but that's just me. If the Kindle and Nook communities can support a site, perhaps the Sony family of readers can as well.

Whatever you decide..... good luck!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It's nice to hear opinions and since I'm just thinking about it, keep them coming.
I have a question for you: Why is that not true of the Kindle & Nook? Do you think that the Sony owners are less passionate about their readers then the other two? The nook Board is a very lively place and the device is very new and they DO have a dedicated Board provided by Barnes & Noble; the same thing could be said about the Kindle since Amazon also provides a dedicated board for the Kindle. Sony has no dedicated board for their reader and yet your opinion is that a 2nd board would divide instead of enhance.
I think that because those boards started early in the life of the readers, they took off. For years MR has been the home for Sony Reader owners.

If you're willing to put in the work to make it work, go for it!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think that because those boards started early in the life of the readers, they took off. For years MR has been the home for Sony Reader owners.

If you're willing to put in the work to make it work, go for it!
Yes, but you would think they would fail since both have dedicated board from the manufacturer which is not true of the Sony. Making it 2 exclusive places for both devices and MR, while we know Sony has no exclusive board and just MR. I think the exclusive boards somehow promotes the popularity of the device.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you costed the hardware and hosting environment that you'll need?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I say go for it. There will always be people that would prefer to go to a, more or less, dedicated place and not have to bother with "all that other stuff" like there is here on MR. I would venture to say that there would be plenty of traffic to keep it going, the hard part will be the initial start up and getting over the first hump with enough traffic.

I'll come play - of course I cant contribute much until Best Buy honors me with my 900
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Yes, but you would think they would fail since both have dedicated board from the manufacturer which is not true of the Sony. Making it 2 exclusive places for both devices and MR, while we know Sony has no exclusive board and just MR. I think the exclusive boards somehow promotes the popularity of the device.
I know Kindleboards was born out of the frustration of using the Amazon boards. At the time there was know search feature and people got sick of answering the same questions over and over and started to get nasty. If Amazon had set up their boards properly early on, Kindleboards might not exist or would not be a popular as it is.

nookboards was born out of Kindleboards (a Kindleboards member started it).

I don't think a Sony dedicated board will fail. MR is unique in that it is a more geek type of board. Kindleboards and nookboards are more beginner, newbie types (IMO). More hacks and experimentation seem to go on at MR.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you costed the hardware and hosting environment that you'll need?
Yes, I've researched it and will go with SMF program/software if I decide to start this board. And probably will go with ipage.us for hosting. I'm still researching if it's a feasible idea. I got the idea yesterday when I got back to work from vacation and a co-worker came over with her new Nook. She's new to ebook readers and the one that told me about the fan Nook board where she got more help then the B&N dedicated board when she posted a question.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
Lilly
Guru

OK, it's up! Tell me what you think? Also looking for volunteers to be moderators and help me improve the site! Here is the link :http://sonyreaderboards.com/index.cgi

Remember it's a work in progress; I just created it an hour ago!

Last edited by Lilly; 07-09-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
also, and i hate to say it, i'm sure the kindle and nook have larger user bases than the ereader does (not a dig on sony's products). larger user base can support more than one board.

i have to admit i'm not at all familiar with the other boards you mentioned, but do they have any tie in from the manufacturers? that always helps.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote